Rod tube rack/display for the house?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Idaho Mike, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Idaho Mike

Idaho Mike Member

So for the longest time I've just had my rod tubes (5) leaning up against the back of my guest bedroom closet. Most times I grab one, I've got to make sure the rest don't come crashing down. It got me thinking… does anybody make a decent rack for holding fly rod tubes? Maybe even something of a display rack?

I'm looking it up on the web, but everything I see is for holding/displaying the actual rod. That's not what I want. I've got a small house with low ceilings and nothing like that would work. Plus, I just want to be able to grab the thing and go.

I think it would be cool to have a nice wooden rack holding up your rod tubes situated next to your tying desk. It would make for a good wood working project if I was more experienced with that. Not to mention a good money maker if somebody was entrepreneurial enough.

Anybody seen or know of anything like that? Thanks.

2. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Are you looking for wall mounted, horizontal display or floor mounted, vertical display?

3. Idaho Mike

Idaho Mike Member

I'd be open to any of those options. My first thought was floor mounted.

4. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

i have a ceiling mounted rack in my garage...but it is for both gear rods and fly rods lol.

i'm sure you could use the same design to hold tubes. it's essentially just two wood slats about 4 ft long and 3 to 4 in wide, and hung from the ceiling about 5 in down, suspended by rope.

just an idear..

Loren

5. Bill Johnson

Bill Johnson Member

Hey

"I just bought me a liquor store with a hot tub...and guess what...it's ladies night!"

Oh God, this is too good. What is the origin - or the attribution? It is so idomatic.

6. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Steve Millers new album, Bingo...song "Tramp"

7. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

What is the average length and largest diameter of the rod tubes?

8. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Huge decorative ceramic pot, like a big plant pot. Five tubes would fit in that easy. Have friends that used to use such a pot for their skis, poles and snowboards next to the entry door to catch the water. Good for umbrellas too.

9. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

10. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

I built this out of oak strips and dowles. You could do the same thing for tubes if you keep the dowles a littel longer.

View attachment 38816

11. That's a great looking setup Tyler. I use a much more basic approach, hanging rods horizontally using nails as braces (pegs). I usually have them fully rigged so that I can carry them from the man cave to the SUV.

12. Timsan

Timsan New Member

That's a nice rack.

Could make Something That stands the tubes up at an angle, each tube would have their own circle. If that makes sense. Or even a circle table that stands them straight up.

13. Idaho Mike

Idaho Mike Member

For 4 of the 5 rods, the tubes are 30". The largest diameter is 2.25" for the 10wt. The other rod is a 3 piece, so that tube is 39". But… in the next year or so I see that being traded in for a 4 piece also.

Tyler… I like the wall rack with the simple oak strips and dowels. Even I can manage that kind of woodwork!

14. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Get a piece of cedar log about a foot in diameter and about a foot high. Strip the bark and bore about 6 holes in it evenly spaced and at least 6'' deep. Sand the top smooth to bring out the end grain and give the whole thing 2 or 3 coats of satin varnish. Voila!-an instant rod rack with a small footprint that is hell for stout and will be a handsome addition to any man cave.

Forstner bits are available in large sizes to cut the holes. It might be possible to use a heavy hand drill to bore the holes but finding someone with a drill press would be preferable.

Ive

15. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

I actually have a rack that I made for my garage door. Two 2x4 pieces of wood vertically wedged in between the top and bottom of one of the panels. I use some pole holders (1pr. per rod tube) I bought from some yachting place in Michigan. They have different sized diameters and they hold my 4-piece rod tubes just fine. I can go take a few pictures of it over the weekend and post them.

16. Josh Smestad

Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Just get an old gun rack and re-purpose it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I know Cabelas has some nice rod racks.

18. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Active Member

19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

I can't imagine putting all of my rods out for inspection.... by the Admiral. No good can come of that. It took many years of secret funds to assemble my modest collection.
    Of course this may reveal a character flaw.

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

If that is a character flaw I have it too. I moved my rod tubes from beneath an 8' x 4' hella stout work bench I built 15 years ago to the 8' x 3' top that I added to it to serve as a pontoon boat shelf (after I sold my pontoon boat). Within days it seems that inventory of the number of rod tubes had been taken and I started getting the questions. Are all those rod tubes full? How many rods to you have? How many rods do you need? Why are you getting more rods?

I have a number of character flaws. I now have my Saturn Raft/Kayak as well as my Water Master Kodiak deflated, rolled and packed on that shelf. The rods are back where they belong.