Rod tube rack/display for the house?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Idaho Mike, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    Sounds like you're on Step 5...keep coming back it works...

2. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

A few pics of the fly tube rack I made that I mentioned in my previous post.

3. kenfishbum

kenfishbum New Member

4. riseform

riseform Active Member

Media:
    Of the options discussed, it looks like the Cabela's product best suits your needs.

I made a simple tube holder (horizontal) for my basement storage area, using spare wood and two sizes of "door knob hole" drill attachments. As my rod collection has increased, I've outgrown the original design, but it gave me an idea for my next project.
    View attachment 38933

I intend to make a vertically oriented (display worthy) rack for my tying room, which would not require significant wood working skills. I'm planning on cutting the wood in the shape of a fish (ie Simms logo). I'll cut three identical fish, two of which will have holes drilled in them for tubes (top and bottom). The third will serve as the solid floor for the drilled base piece. The top and bottom can be connected by dowels to pre-drilled holes, similar to the Cabela's design and glued into place. Obviously, a fish shape will limit the number of rods I can hold, but you could easily make one in a rectangle, triangle or "thingamabobber" shape that would meet your needs.

5. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
  6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Holy crap! If I tried to display the rods I have the wall would be covered. I just stack 'em in a corner or in the hall closet. That way my wife never really knows how many there are. She never looks in my closet.