rods and reels

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ryan Nathe, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Ryan Nathe

Ryan Nathe Member

Media:
    I am new to the salt, still wet behind the ears, and I was wondering what you guys do to protect your salt gear. I have a St. Croix 5/6 weight I was thinking of taking out on the salt but I am worried about it getting damaged. IF you rinse your stuff after use can you use rods without an aluminum reel seat? Also I have an Abel, for steelhead and salmon but it is serious overkill for SRC and juvenile Coho. Can I use my battenkill?

2. Preston

Preston Active Member

All that's really necessary is a thorough rinse in fresh water at the end of the day. Sometimes I'll just drop my reel into a bucket of water for half-an-hour or so then shake it off, remove the spool and put it somewhere to dry for a day or two. I usually rinse off my rod then wipe it dry and put it away. I've been fishing the beaches for over ten years years now and have never had any corrosion-related problems

3. Porter

Porter Active Member

Battenkill...I don't see why not? I have used the Battenkill LA with no problems...Lamson is another story. St.Croix will be fine.

I use to just rinse very well with water after a salt trip...but I think it was ChadK or someone of his diminutiveness :clown: talked about soaking gear in a bucket of soapy water for a period of time then rinsing afterwards.....so that is what I have been doing the last couple of salt trips....and will continue this method.
    This topic was actually discussed not to long ago..do a search and you should find some helpful do's and don'ts.

4. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Salt Away is another good product to use to get rid of saltwater. Drop a little bit of that along with Soap in bucket and let your reel soak. I see no problems with the rod and real you are using for salt. Sounds like a pretty stamdard rig for SRC's and Coho.
    Chris

5. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Just rinse when you're done and it will be fine. I use a regular sage XP in the salt with a wood reel seat. A reel with a sealed drag is optimal but not necessary so long as you rinse when you get home.

As for rinsing I usually run some water over my gear, then I'll soak it for 10 or 15 min, then I'll run some more water over then let it dry out. Make sure you detach your spool from your reel when you rinse/soak. Some guys will rinse their entire line, i've never felt the need to do that, and so far it hasn't come back to haunt me.

6. Porter

Porter Active Member

7. ibn

ibn Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah Porter, you're right, should have been more specific. Tibors are the same way, they recomend a quick dunk and that's it.

8. Porter

Porter Active Member

That's why I forgot...out of my current $$ range....but then again probably one of the the best damn salt reels..or do everything reels out there.

9. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I don't ever dunk my reel in water after fishing in the salt. I do squirt some "Free All" or WD40 in key places and then I wipe it down with Free all on a rag. This will eat away the salt and keep a steady lubrication on the reel. It also keeps the finish looking good. If I use water, I only will give it a very light spray.

John's Sporting Goods in Everett is the guy I consulted. He's the man, actually he hires the man, who does all the warrenty work for Shimano and ABu Garcia.

Good luck,
    Jeff

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

Media:
    Don't dunk your reel in the water after using it in the salt?!?! Maybe don't dunk it in salt, but you bet to dunking it in fresh water! If I read your posting correctly, JeffD, hat's absolutely the first time I've heard that a person shouldn't use fresh water on their reel after using it in the salt!

Sure, the WD will work great in protecting those parts of the reel that it touches, but unless you dunk your reel in the stuff, there are going to be plenty of nooks and crannies that it doesn't reach. That's where a good dunkin' comes in handy.

Nathe, do you what you feel is logical with your equipment, but salt water causes corrosion, and not rinsing your equipment with fresh water leaves that product on the reel.

Your St. Croix should work OK, for light use, but if you get serious about the salt, you should probably consider investing in a different stick (for many reasons, casting performance and saltwater resistance being a couple of them) eventually. The Battenkill (disc, I presume) will work just fine.

11. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Richard, (and Nathe)
    I don't want to be responsible for damage caused to your reel, but... here's the logic: If you soak a reel, water does get inside and cause corrosion.

I've learned to trust my cleanup procedures after a few years of doing it this way, but I still am obsessive about checking for salt buildup that may cause surface pitting or internal corrosion. Nathe, if you care enough to ask the question, I'm sure you'll do fine. Either way, I bring them in the house to dry out until my wife makes me put them back in the garage :)

I just NEVER soak my reel for any length of time, and feel better about an incidental dunk or a post fishing spray, knowing that the WD40 will prevent water from getting deep into the working parts of the reel.

John's Sporting Goods in Everett does have 2 Generations of saltwater reel repair experience. Give John a call and see what he suggests. (or Ollie Damon's in Portland, etc.)

12. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    iagree Both John's Sporting Goods and Ollie Damon's have been recommended to me as the places to send your gear fishing reels for repairs. I've used both of 'em, and either one offers great service at a reasonable price.
    My fly reels are so simple, they only need cleaning and lubing so far. Well, I do need to repaint my Medalist, but I'm not sure what color yet.

Jimbo

13. Porter

Porter Active Member

To Jeff D

I don't know what reel you are using (and there are different ones out there...some I have never laid an eye on) but out of the reels I have and others I know they all are suggested by the mfg'er to be rinsed with fresh water after Salt use. If I took my Ross Gunnison to that place and they told me never to rinse in fresh water after salt use and just follow their recommendation...that would be the last time I would visit the place. Another thing some reel mfg'ers frown upon adding lubricants to their reels...in any manner. Also salt water is on your line and backing....do you spray that too...I'm with Richard in that I have never heard not to rinse/soak with fresh water? But hey if it works for you...great :beer2:

14. Dizane

Dizane Coast to Coast

Media:
    JeffD doesn't seem to be saying not to rinse a reel with freshwater...just that he doesn't soak his reels for an extended period of time. Neither do I. I just rinse the rod and reel off with a stream of water from the garden hose for a while, and then let it dry.

15. Porter

Porter Active Member

If..? You Dizane do rinse your gear as most do. He says incidentally or if...suggesting seldom?
    Maybe it's semantics but it seems to read that he doesn't or very seldom rinse his gear after salt use...but enough of this....

16. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

I have a 40-year old FinNor #2A/R and a circa 1983 Fenwick World Class IV that I've used in salt exclusively and rinsed in freshwater when done. When they dry out I wipe them down with one of those Kennebec rags and they are good to go. I strip them down to the backing once a year for a deep cleaning and have found no signs of corrosion. I've also had good luck with my Orvis Battenkill III L/A in salt water for about 5 years using the same treatment.
    Investment cast reels with enameled enamel finishes are another story. Scratch the finish and salt water will work under the paint and make it deteriorate very quickly.
    For salt water use I always recommend a reel machined from aluminum bar stock and anodized. The added expense more than pays for itself in a few short seasons.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

17. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I am trying to follow John's advice, and his advice is contrary to what the manf. suggests. I understand why that makes people nervous, and it makes me a bit nervous too.

This weekend I was out for a long day in the salt and while cleaning the boat, I gave the rod/reels a shot of water with a light spray from the hose. I'm not religous about "No Water", but my intent is to NOT drive water into the inner workings of the reel. Because fly reels have fewer nooks/cranies, I suspect it's even less of an issue.

I DO NOT soak my reels in fresh water to clean the reel. I do occasionally wipe down the line, but I am not good about doing this.

I also understand John's Sporting Goods could be perceived to have a motive to require my reels to need maintenance. I don't think that's the case however. John's has been great when it comes to reel maintenance.

18. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith DBA BozoKlown406

Media:
    I just use my crappiest reel for saltwater. It's not like you need a good drag system for most src's, though there is a chance of getting salmon when they're there.

19. Fly Fanatic

Fly Fanatic Bull Trout

Home Page:
    Amen to that brother! Pick up a Pfleueger supreme for $40. They're anodized and more importantly....gold ;)

20. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Media:
    I use Orvis mid-arbors, Orvis large arbors, Bauers, and a Trion in the salt. The best tip I got was to gently rinse.......like give the reel a nice steady shower, rather than BLAST water into it from a hose, which can apparently drive salt deeper into the guts on the reel.

I think it's important to rinse it off quick after you're done fishing rather than wait until you get home. many parks have a spigot with fresh water so I always use it before walking to my rig (like Lincoln park). I also keep water bottles filled with fresh H2o in my rig........just like The Waterboy.

Just use the reels you like, rinse, and relax. worrying too much just ruins the experience.