Roll Call: Spey Competition - who's in??

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by FlyShopKristin, Jun 9, 2009.

1. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Allright, we're less than 2 weeks away from the first annual Jimmy Green Memorial Fly Fishing and Casting Expo! Are you ready!???

Hmm... Casting Expo..... Yes, this event has both Single Hand Games, and a Spey Casting Competition. So - my question is.... who's in??

There are two Divisions to the Spey Competition:
    • 13'6 and Under - Average Caster WINS (known as 'Marlow Bumpus Rules' :)) Prize is a TFO Deer Creek Spey Rod!
    • 15'1 and Under - Longest Distance

The full RULES are on the event website: www.jimmygreenflyexpo.com. Rules are simple - best of three casts off of each shoulder for a total distance score. Be at the Info desk at 9AM for sign in & draw a number for casting order.

This should be a fun time, as you can see - this is all about getting out and giving the course a try. I'm encouraging everyone to get out & give this a go. Heck - average cast wins a Spey Rod!
  2. bhudda heffe'

basement
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    tell brian im gunnin for him, i can make it, and set that 82 ft head aside:)
  3. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I'll be there and booming out my 15'er! Looking forward to it!:thumb:
  4. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,237 / 9
    So I can wind up and swing my 13'6" and boom out a trio of 20'6" casts and walk away with a prize. I really have to convince the misses to let me out of the house for a play day. I hope to come to meet many folks and soak up some knowledge.
  5. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    i wish i could be in it, but to bad i lost the tip on my new rod in the river the first time casting it. and im not surprised that it happened. :)
  6. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Arthur - that's no excuse, the division is 13'6" and under. :rofl: You're still fine! (Besides.. I hear that you got another rod tip.)
  7. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,391 / 0
    3 casts off "each shoulder"? How do you calculate the distance if the cast off the left shoulder wraps around my neck and snares a passer-by?

I'm not sure which is more difficult, casting off my left shoulder or arriving by 9 am. Looking forward to watching and learning just the same.

Sg
  8. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +733 / 1
    Arthur,

This is sad. You cast it for the first time Sunday at Ben Howard. Oh well, now you have a switch rod.

See all you guys at the Fair!

Leland.
  9. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    kristin, i have to send the entire rod back to the TFO so all im gonna have is a tip until i can return it to its rightful owner. And leland, how do i have a switch rod? i dont think i can load a rod very well with the 3 lower sections of a 4pc rod. :rolleyes: and i did lose it at benhoward, about an hour after you left. :)

arthur
  10. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,541 / 0
    Just turn around and cast backwards.

Anyone got a floatin' tip for a 22' Skagit head on a 8124? Freaking floatin' line rule. What the hell? I ain't got no stinkin' floatin' tip and I guess I need one. Who the hell fishes a floater?:eek:

But, I got me an idea. I got an old chunk of floatin' line that is cracked up and all. Think I will soak it in water overnight before the competition. Might work.
  11. Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Doo-vall
    Ratings: +262 / 0

In theory, Mumbles, you could win the coveted Choade Cast Award. I'd be vying for it myself, but a family memorial service the same day has thrown a wrench into my plans to attend the event, which has been on my calendar for months. Good luck- I'm counting on ya :thumb:
  12. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    Wait, so let me get this straight. If I make 3 30' casts off my right shoulder an then my left, then I walk away with the prize? Just want to make sure I'm under standing this right.

Arthur
  13. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    I don't see anything in the rules requiring an anchored cast, theoretically an overheader could win the long rod competition?

WWMD? (what would Marlow do?)
  14. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I'm in, and I'll be out there bombin' at 20' 6.5" :D Actually I am hoping to do both categories, aint gonna do well in either but I'll give it a whirl.

:beer2:
  15. jcalderon Member

A JUNGLE NEAR YOU
    What prize do you get for looking the coolest while you cast?
  16. FlyShopKristin Going Online

Monroe, Wa, USA.
    Dude, I can't give myself a prize...:rofl:

OK, OK - lots of questions...

Aurthur - in the 13'6" division, average caster in the group will win. Totals will be added, and the person with the middle score will take home the top prize.

Spaz - yes, there is an anchor rule: you need one. There aren't rules around anchor placement, etc.... but, there should be an anchor. (to your point, no overhead casting in this event.)

Salmo... c'mon.. you can make 9AM, we'll have coffee & some breakfast for ya.

This is going to be fun!
  17. fullerfly Calvin Fuller

Sandpoint, ID
    I was planning on coming all spring...but now I can't. Sorry guys, I really wish I could make it over there and see everybody. Maybe next year.

Cal
  18. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    I had to come back and re-read this. Now, how the hell did you lose the tip off your rod while casting it? I mean it sucks and all but just how did you do it?
  19. Arthur Vakulchik Young Gun

lynnwood, wa
    well i have a deercreek and its a 4 piece rod. I was casting and took a break, i went out casting 10mn later and the 2nd or 3rd cast the top section of my rod flew off. i was using yearn and the yarn just slipped straight through the guides. and down the river it went. i chased it down but i could never reach it unless i took a swim. but id rather not have my waders fill up and me go down with the top section.

and thats how i did it. wonderful story, i know.

arthur
  20. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Now I know why I never practice casting when the river is closed. Knew there was a reason just didn't know for sure what that reason was 'til now.

Sorry you lost the tip off your rod. I got a CND 13'6" 8/9 you can use if you want. No line or reel just the rod.