Roll Call

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by stewart dee, Jan 27, 2011.

1. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,784 / 0
    Tom, the Skagit is not the OP. The Skagit is a sled river and has been for a long time. Sorry be the fool that screws with someone trailer, rig or thinks he can get away with chucking shit at boats. We have been running sleds up the Sauk for 30 years. It has only recently be ruled illegal and I can honestly tell you that there are many that will and do ignore the law. No one with half a brain is going to saw up a trailer. If you know someone that is stupid enough to try it or thinks he is going to get away with throwing things at boats you had better warn them they could pay a heavy price.
  2. Rimmy Member

clearview, wa,
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I here that you may be right ! the reason I keep bring up the sled in the sauk is because I don't think that they have the right to stop me. Yes they have the right to stop me from fishing from the boat but that is all. Read this and let me know what you think.

Who owns the rivers in Washington http://www.nationalrivers.org/states/wa-law.htm
  3. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +58 / 0
    The link you posted is likely irrelevant to anyone enforcing rules, and certainly to those described in my previous post.
    For reference, below the regs clearly state no Internal Combustion Motors prohibited.

SAUK RIVER (Skagit/Snohomish Co.)
    from mouth to Darrington Bridge
    (828)
    All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Apr. 30 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be
    retained. Selective gear rules. First Sat. in June-Feb. 28: Internal
    combustion motors prohibited.
    Hilt, White, and Dan's creeks
    (Skagit/Snohomish Co.)
    All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be
    retained. Selective gear rules.
    SAUK RIVER (Skagit/Snohomish Co.)
    from Darrington Bridge to Whitechuck
    River (828)
    All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Feb. 28 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be
    retained. Selective gear rules. Internal combustion motors prohibited.
    Clear Creek (Snohomish Co.) above
    Asbestos Creek Falls
    All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Statewide min. size/daily limit.
    SAUK RIVER (Skagit/Snohomish
    Co.) from Whitechuck River upstream,
    including NORTH FORK and SOUTH
    FORK to Elliott Creek (828)
    All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be
    Falls, Cadet, Elliott creeks
    (Snohomish Co.)
    All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Statewide minimum size/daily limit. Selective gear rules.
    Sloan Creek (Snohomish Co.) All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Oct. 31 Catch-and-release. Selective gear rules.
    SAUK RIVER, SOUTH FORK
    (Snohomish Co.) above Elliott Creek
    (828)
    All Game Fish First Sat. in June-Aug. 31 Catch-and-release except up to 2 hatchery STEELHEAD may be
  4. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,696 / 2
  5. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    He that was the guide service I seen last weekend out on the water. Those guys are hardcore! We cut his trailer into pieces - lol. But serious who would cut up someones trailer? You would need a hot saw and some time (like 2 hrs). The stories just get deeper and deeper around here.
  6. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +412 / 0
    Like so Stewie?

[IMG]

Lowholers recognize!?!
  7. stewart dee Guest

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yeah just like so. Better if Bo Bo was there to help.
  8. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +372 / 0
    I read on another forum that a guy got his trailer stolen from the Kalama. They had to have used a torch because he said the lock didn't have enough room to get a saw between. I guess it was taken within an hour and a half time period. Scary.
  9. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Cut up trailer? That's a first. However, I have heard of people returning to the boat launch, only to discover that their trailer tires had been slashed.
  10. Rimmy Member

clearview, wa,
    Thanks Tom for the info I think we all know the rules. I just Questions if the game dept has the right to make there own rules over the state on navigable water way.
  11. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    WDFW may or may not be able to regulate whether you can use a motor boat on the sauk....however, if you are using one on a fishing trip, then they can certainly regulate that...they don't need to give you a ticket for using a motor boat on the sauk, they can ticket you for using a motor boat to fish on the sauk.
  12. Rimmy Member

clearview, wa,
    Thank you your right. But just from fishing in a boat not from shore or if I had a fish in my boat your right and i will bet that will not happen
  13. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Rimmy,
    #7 from your link states: "States do have authority and latitude in the way they manage rivers, but their management must protect the public uses mentioned above. They can (and must) prohibit or restrict activities that conflict with the Public Trust Doctrine. "Responsible recreation" must be allowed, but activities that could be harmful, such as building fires, leaving trash, and making noise, can legally be limited, or prohibited, in various areas. Motorized trips and commercial trips can legally be limited or prohibited by state governments."

Doesn't that mean they do have the right to restrict you from using a combustible motor to get up and down any of our rivers?
  14. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    Fished up in b.c. more then a few times....have seen trailers with their tires flattened...have no idea why but must have pissed someone off out on the fraser...think it's more a guide on guide thing though...how the hell would you know who's trailer it was and where they parked it otherwise?

If someone is a yahoo, I got no problem yelling at um...have only seen lead chuckers up north....My take is if a guy is running a motorized boat and can go anywhere on the river..he doesn't have to fish the water I've hiked into...if he's there first...it's his water and I can either wait till he's done or ask him if he minds my fishing through...If he says "Yes, I'm going through a few more times" then I leave....If not, then we're all good...

Only time I've yelled at a guy was on a lower run and the guy came in with clients and went around me and fished down right below me....And I yelled a couple times at him...he had good water across from me and above me....If he wanted to step to shore and settle it, that would have been fine by me...Don't open your mouth if you can't back it up...but letting someone know what they are doing is not courteous to other fisherman shouldn't stop you or scare you from doing it...

Upper skagit above rockport is in my short time pretty amazing to see the traffic...for the most part guys have passed us by if we've hiked in or bank fished....I always nod at the boat guys and talk to them if they are close enough to see what's happening.....

Up north in b.c. (Smithers area) It was put out to me immediately on my arrival and doing floats everyday...If you see walk in guys..you don't fish their water...there isn't a whole lot of area's they can fish and you can, so leave it for them....I even stopped just above one such spot on the Morice and was just about to start swinging when two guys came down from the pull out....I packed back up and rowed over to the other side....big freaking steelhead rolled right in front of um as they walked in....I gave um a thumbs up and moved out of their water...

Common courtesy goes a long way in my book...and I worry that more of it is vanishing because no one will stand up for it anymore out of fear of the repercussions...which is pretty sad in my book...
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,784 / 0
    There was a problem with a few trailers being stolen on the Skagit some time back. Also people were punching gas tanks and the occasional catalytic converter would get ripped. This was being done by tweakers not pissed off fishermen. If I caught someone screwing with my rig I likely would just call the cops but I know some on the river that would take a completely different course of action.
  16. Rimmy Member

clearview, wa,
    IF there going with noise i could see it but harmful ?
  17. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,702 / 0
    Tom B.,

WDFW doesn't regulate river navigation. They prohibit fishing from a motorized boat on the Sauk and a number of other rivers, but it's not uncommon for fishermen to run a sled up the Sauk and get out and bank fish, at least if they are fly fishing. I've seen boondoggers fish the Sauk, but that is illegal, so it isn't that common.

Regulating the use of motor boats on rivers and lakes rests with the counties. Some lakes prohibit boats with gas motors from even being on the water - that's a country regulation. Some lakes have 5 mph speed limits - also a country regulation.

WDFW has stated on numerous occasions that the agency lacks any legal authority to regulate navigation. The agency regulates hunting and fishing. So they prohibit fishing from a boat or from a motor boat on certain bodies of water.

Sg
  18. TomB Active Member

seattle,wa
    Salmo G.-

Thanks for the clarification (and "my bad" to Rimmy, Kerry, and others). I read "Internal combustion motors prohibited" to mean that when fishing the Sauk, you could not use a boat with an internal combustion motor. The story I referenced earlier about a trailer getting cut up supposedly occurred when a well-known individual took his jetboat above government bridge...which apparently was legal, just frowned upon by some.

-Tom
  19. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I've seen the gamies more the last couple weeks than I've seen em in a couple years. I hope they run around up there more.

As far as sleds in the Sauk go, I've only ever seen one. Up by the gauge hole, don't know how he planned to get around the corner below the bridge. If you can run it, more power to ya!