"rook" question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Djustham, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Djustham

Djustham Sculpin are gross.

Media:
    So I just got my TiCrX 9' 8wt in the mail today, along with a Fly Logic FLA 8wt reel...I was checking out the reel cause I have only used my Ross colorado 2 before which doesnt have a drag system. At any rate I was suprised to notice that there is no resistance when I reel in line and no clicking noise either. Is that standard? Just wondering cause the Colorado 2 clicks both when you strip and retrieve line from it...
    On another note, I couldnt resist going out in my yard and taking a few casts with the new setup. There wasnt much room to cast cause I live in the middle of Tacoma, but it seemed like I would be able to cast *much* farther with the 8wt setup than my Sage 5wt ds2. I know its not the fastest most powerful rod there is, but to someone who has never handled an 8wt, the new rod feels like a thunderstick!

2. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Pretty standard for reels to be silent in retrieve and while the drag is engaged. Personally I like the clicker style reels, but it's all a matter of preference.

3. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    Yes, that's normal for the FLA.

4. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

FYI: I can cast an entire fly line with my DS2 4wt :D and remember distance doesn't mean shizz. I cast too far most of the time.

The silent retrieve is a feature that seemed to appear about 6 years ago on some of the medium cost reels. I personally like it.

5. Djustham

Djustham Sculpin are gross.

Media:
    Well, for those of us who cant for whatever reason cast the entire lines of our DS2's, distance may, in fact, mean shizz...come on man, I'm excited, gimme a break.

6. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    Just wait until you go steelheading and put a sink tip and big leech on there.

7. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I know, I know.....just teasing ;)