Rookie

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by STGKlopp, Oct 25, 2012.

1. STGKlopp New Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've been fly fishing the Great Lakes area for about 20 years. Spey is not very big out there. I need to get into this like right now! What you you all recommend for a starter Spey setup? I'd like to keep under $300, I have an assortment of reels so all I need is a reel and line. I'll be fishing the Stilliguamish, Snohomish and the Skagit. Cant wait to get into this. Looks like a blast and I want to take it back to Wisconsin. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Jereme
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,469 / 9
    There are several options in the classifieds that would get you into the game.
  3. fisshman26 Member

Trail, B.C., Canada.
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    Call Poppy at the RedShed he can get you going
  4. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +484 / 0
    Spey lines are a lot larger than an equally rated single hand line (a 7wt spey line is larger than a 7wt single hand line) so you want to consider that when evaluating your current reels. If they're near capacity with the normal line they're probably not going to be large enough for a spey line.

You also may want to check out the classifieds on the Spey Pages forum.
  5. STGKlopp New Member

Everett, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I have a 9/10 wt reel that I figure should be about perfect for a 7 or 8 wt Spey set up.
  6. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +688 / 1
    Echo Solo from Waters West in Port Angeles - $159 plus a couple of lines at about $80 each.
    JesseCFowl likes this.
  7. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I second that Echo solo option. That's a nice rod. Get yourself a 7 WT with a Skagit and a Scandi, some tips, some poly leaders and you're ready to stand in the rain catching nothing.
    JesseCFowl likes this.