Ross Lake fishing

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pluto, Jul 14, 2002.

1. pluto

pluto New Member

My sixteen year old son has told me he doesn't want to backpack this year so we're renting a kayak from Ross Lake resort and camping for five days starting next week. The ranger at Marblemount sorta said the fishing in the lake sucked which kinda surprised me. I know Big Beaver Creek is catch and release. The primary purpose of the trip is to see if we like kayak camping but have any flyfishers done this trip or have any suggestions for tactics/flies? I figure I'll drag some Woolly Buggers around and concentrate on the creek outlets in the evenings. Thanks for your help, I'll post when I get back.

2. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

Well the Ranger is right. There are some only fair hotspots at the mouths of various creeks, but generally the flyfishing there is very poor.

I'd like to suggest you take a whole different approach to the lake. Forget the Kyak and travelling the huge distances between good spots at the creekmouths. Go to Hope BC. and take the road south that comes in at the upper part of the lake. There is a campground and there is a broad shoal there that provides excellent flyfishing all summer with no lull unless the water gets very low (not likely this year.
    You may need a Canadian Liscense at this location, I don't know and never ask because I always had both. It is a ways out into the lake to reach America though.
    Sorry but that's the only Good fishing I know of in Ross! :pROFESSOR

3. Nick

Nick New Member

Home Page:
    You are going to love Kayaking Ross lake. I've done it with a group of Boy Scouts on a 50 'miler trip. The fishing really isn't that good. My advice would be to enjoy Ross Lake for it's beauty and seclusion. The Camp Sites are great just make sure you are off of the water by 2 pm or the wind really picks up. Have fun. Ross lake is one of my favorites!

Nick

4. pluto

pluto New Member

Thanks to both Nick and fishnfella, I'm kind of locked into the kayaking thing so I'll be going more for the scenery/seclusion angle this time. I'm thinking we might have some time to tack on some time after to get over to Montana if the wife allows. Thanks for the help!

5. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

I did the ross lake thing last year about this time. I found a couple fish casting from shore at 10 mile Island with a wooley bugger. Also a bit of success in the little bay at at the mouth of big beaver creek- part of it is closed though, so fish the outer part of the bay. As for the creek itself it was spewing heavy silt, and last year was a drought year, so this year probably won't clear until well into September. There is also very little access to the creek. We hiked up a couple miles and hardly saw the creek at all. What we did find: bear tracks, bear scat, and loud crashing sounds nearby...hmmm time to turn around?http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/htdocs/dcforum/Images/eek.gif

Yes the wind is an issue, so do your paddling in th AM, I'd consider bringing trolling gear or at least a fast sinking line and have it in the water at all times while paddling...you never know.

Bh

6. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    While fishing is not incredible in the lake itself, some of the feeder streams can provide good fishing. Big Beaver Creek has already been mentioned but can be excellent for cutthroats in the beaver ponds, which are a few miles upstream. Lightning Creek (eastside of lake?) has a good rainbow fishery. The Skagit on the canadian side is awesome. Tom at the Ross Lake lodge fly fishes and he can give you detailed info.

When I was up there in August two years ago, there was good dry fly fishing right in the lake off of the Lightning creek campground dock. I didn't try stripping buggers on a sinking line but I would imagine it would be good in that area. I have hiked up the Lightning Creek trail a few miles trying to reach the river but never found easy access. To fish it, I would just park the boat at the mouth and hike up the stream a ways. You should definitely throw heavily weighted buggers below waterfalls too.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Crock
    :EEK

7. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    I have never fished Ross lake but fish from my Kayak all the time. In the day use a sinking line with a leech pattern and in the evening a floating line with a leech, emerger or hares ear. A rod holder is needed because otherwise the rod is a pain when rowing. Cabelas has one for Kayaks for about $25 it works good. Set the rod holder far enough ahead of you so it does not get in the way of your stroke. You can move theirs to which everside of the boat you want it from day to day. Then just paddle the lake and keep one eye on the pole. I have caught fish this way rowing both fast and slow but find if you go to slow its hard to get the fish hooked. You will end up best to set the hook by paddling harder when the fish hits rather then trying to grab for the pole. Good luck and let us know how you do. :THUMBSUP

8. pluto

pluto New Member

Well we only lasted for three days, stayed the first night at Rainbow Point, then Lightning Creek, then Big Beaver. Nada for fish, mostly dragged or deep stripped damsels and a fire butt woolly bugger. Didn't hit it too hard since I wasn't getting any encouragement. Surprises me how little surface activity you see. Lots of folks trolling pop gear, seemed to get some fish. We hiked four miles up Big Beaver and it was very high and silty and access was impossible.
    On the plus side the weather was fantastic, scenery incredible and we had a great time. Big Beaver looks intriguing for September and you could stay at the resort and have them water taxi you up. Lots of mosquitoes at Big Beaver, the other spots weren't bad. Highly recommend the trip for a camping experience.