Rosy Dawn 4/0

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by S Fontinalis, Jan 17, 2013.

1. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Tied this one over the last two nights, Rosy Dawn from Pryce-Tannatt
    I include a picture of the first night, when i finished the body, then last night after i set the wing and finished the head.

Hook is a Noble D from Ronn Lucas, a beautiful hook. I think i'll have to get some more of this style.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  2. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +493 / 0
    Very nice Eunan! Great head and underwing....love that hook. I might have to get some of those as well. Thanks for posting.
  3. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +226 / 3
    Great to see the body sans wing and with wing. It amazes me that you got all of the winging material on the hook without elongating the head at all. Must be like one wrap per feather on there. Thanks for sharing.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +956 / 1
    I was thinking the very same thing.
  5. S Fontinalis Active Member

the key is tons of wax. I wrap on with 5 or 6 wraps, then wind off 3 or 4 to tie in the next part. Wax hold it in place after you wind off some wraps, if you are careful enough.
  6. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +956 / 1
    So the wax presses on the material and also holds it in position... The wraps position the material at the needed angle and then the wax holds it there until the next material layer is applied. I see.

What wax?
  7. S Fontinalis Active Member

home made cobblers wax...like this
    [IMG]
  8. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Bill,

Bill and Gretchen's BT super tacky wax works just as well and since it is in a "lipstick tube" it is easy to apply and not get on your fingers.