Rotary vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Since tying with a Thompson Model A vise from 1964 I've decided to try a rotary vise. Pro's, Con's, Recommendations.

Daryle

2. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

i learned on a stationary Vise .
    I then went to a Griffin Oddesy Can that I fell in love with. I could get tighter, cleaner wraps with hackles and materials than I could with the Stationary. Then I got my Renzetti and a Ausable Speed crank . Which I love because it can spin fast enough to spin dubbing which was doable with the Griffin but, wore me out because of the one to one ratio (The renzetti is 2.5:1)
    I don't think that I'll ever go back to a stationary. But, you can lock down a rotary and it becomes a stationary. You can easily turn your flies and reposition them to aid in your positioning of materials.
    Remember that there is a difference between a Rotational vise and a rotary vise though.
    The fly in the rotarys jaws rotates on a straight axis when properly placed in the jaws. The rotational vise does not.

I've tried many vises before settling on what I now have and almost all of them out there have their attibutes. It comes down to buying the best that you can afford and if you'd rather drive a Ford, Dodge or Chevy.

3. kodiaksalmon

kodiaksalmon Jeff B.

Rotary is the only way to go. That said, you've been tying on a stationary vise for the last 41 years. I don't have a con for the roatary, but pros are being able to work the fly from any angle, winding spun dubbing, palmering hackle and tinsel. Recommendations depend alot on what you're wanting to spend. I use a Dyna King Barracuda, which is in my opinion a superb vise. It'll last me at least 41 years!

Jeff

4. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
    Thanks Randy and Jeff,

So many out there, so much new stuff for the old dog. Pretty much have mastered the puter but not for the masterie of tying the perfect fly. If I can teach my nephew, brother in law, grandson to tie one fly I'll be happy. Converted all of them to flyfishing this year.

Daryle

5. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Daryle,

Another (true) rotary vise you might consider is the Nor-Vise. It's extremely well-made (right here in Kelso, WA) and moderately priced, especially when compared to some of the Renzetti products, IMO. Customer service is world class, and it's marketed as a tying sysyem (tube fly adaptor, tapered jawset, lighting, etc.) so you have the ability to have the vise 'custom configured' to your needs - right out of the box.

Randy,

Was the AuSable Speed Crank at one time 'proprietary' to Ron Abbey or Dyna King? Can they be retrofitted to any vise, like a Renzetti, Griffin, et al?

Hywel

6. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Duke of Furl

See if there's a shop local to you that has a few different models you can test drive. The original post of this thread only mentioned moving to a rotary vise (any vise that turns) but don't discount moving to a true rotary vise. You get all the benefits of being able to turn the fly over as well as many other neat tricks that are more difficult, if not impossible, if the hook-shank isn't rotating or spinning in the axis of rotation.

Don

7. Don Johnson

Don Johnson Duke of Furl

The AuSable crank is a Renzetti product. I've only seen it on Renzetti vises but you may be able to retrofit it to something else.

For you, I think it'd be better for you to contemplate chucking up the spindle of your Nor-Vise into a brand new Porter Cable variable speed drill which is then plugged into a foot actuated rheostat (read: gas pedal). Forget the manual crank; get power to that thing man!

8. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Actually, I was thinking about a blue and balanced Rolls-Merlin Inline 12 with Turbochargers and a Nitrous Oxide booster.

I suppose I'd have to slightly modify my NorBobbin, too.

But, I digress...

Sorry. *g*

9. Flyn'dutchman

Flyn'dutchman Member

Retired, Once you try a rotary you will never look back. Buy the best you can. Renzetti makes one of the best in my opinion. I have a traveler for traveling and a Presentation 4000 for home. You can get by with the traveler at a very decent price. Either the cam jaw or the screw jaw work great. Screw jaw is less expensive but not less quality. Enjoy!:thumb: :thumb:

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If I was in the market for a rotary vise,I would get a Nor-vise. Had one for a while and could really put on the hackle or collars with it. It saves a lot of time when one is laying down bodies for woven flies.

Jim

11. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Retired, check the product reviews on the home page. There is a good review of the Peak Rotary Vise. I used the Peak for a year and a half before I decided that I was hooked on fly tying and invested in a Nor Vise. I now have the tube attachment and the small jaws as well as the large jaws. This vise is a pleasure to use and speeds up the tying process. Either way will work, it just depends how much you want to spend. Good tying. Steve

12. Daryle Holmstrom

Media:
  13. Hywel

Hywel New Member

I feel your pain, retiredfish!

Getting approval from the 'High Command' can be tough when you want an expensive item like a vise.

And, it's not the kind of thing you can sneak in the house either. *g*

Hywel

14. jimmysworking

jimmysworking Well, at least I'm supposed to be...

Media:
    I use a Renzetti Traveler and I love it. I learned on a Thompson and moved up to a Regal. Really liked both, but after trying the Traveler I don't think I'll switch back. That said, I have heard great reviews of the Danvise and if I were in the market for a new vice would give it serious thought.

15. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    For an objective set of reviews of most of the available fly tying vises through 2004 read this article http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/

Pick your price point and find the options available with indepth, objective reviews by two fellows that really understand fly tying vises.

Regards,

16. Finni

Finni Member

Media:
    I second the article from the flyfisherman website. It is how I narrowed down the options to my Peak Vise. All in all, great vise, strong hold, well built, and excellent low price. But it could be a little bit higher. If I ever purchase a different jaw size for the vise, I will buy the heightener piece at the same time.

I also second the recommendation to "test drive" some at a local shop, it is the best way to get a good feel for the vise and if it will be what you want.

Finni

17. Hywel

Hywel New Member

I really believe that the most honest reviews and testimonies come from peers and *your* hands-on experience.

Try as they might, and as good as their intentions may be, a professional writer can't remain completely objective when 'evaluating' a product for a publication.

Something else to consider; IMHO, a magazines content and editorial slant is sometimes determined (or at least swayed) by their advertisers.

Hywel

18. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

Hywell I don't /can't see how to make my Ausable crank for my Salt Water Master fit the Griffin Oddessy Cam. I don't know the answer to your other question either.
    I also tried the Norvise and probably would have bought one however at the time I had a problem getting my big fingers in to tye at the hook bend when the fly was in the vise. I understand that this problem is now fixed with the introduction of "midge Jaws". I like Norm Norlander and his products though. And He's always been a stand-up guy when it comes to customer support. So has Renzetti except they are more on the corpoate end of customer relations if you know what I mean. Renzetti makes a good product but, sometimes I think that they're Tooo proud of it ($$$$).

19. Pat M

Pat M Chasing Tiger Trout

Media:
    Home Page:
    I use the Traveler as well and I really like alot.

20. halcyon

halcyon Hallelujah, I'm a Bum!!!

Media:
    Hywel,

In this case you might have read the article first and checked out the "writers" who are both very experienced fly tiers with at least one of them being involved with the design of several fly tying vises. They are both "peers peers" so to speak.

Regards,