Rotary Vise

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Daryle Holmstrom, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Watched about twenty videos tonight tying with rotary vises on Youtube and the only one that used the rotary feature was the Norvise, all the rest were locked, Am I missing something :)
  2. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +48 / 0
  3. Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    That's what I thought:D
  4. Norm Frechette Active Member

Norwich, CT
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    ive had a renzetti traveler for so long the rotary function novelty wore off a long time ago.
  5. Rob Ast Active Member

West Pugetopolis WA
    Ratings: +233 / 3
    Depends on how you like to tie. I will often use the rotary function for wrapping on chenille, floss, palmered hackle, or other materials wrapping most of the body. I find I get a more even tension, smoother bodies more evenly abutted, and I don't have to deal with a long piece of material catching on everything.
  6. David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Walla Walla, WA
    Ratings: +742 / 0
    I use it almost every time I tie. Like noted above, for floss, tinsel, dubbing, and I use it when setting wings, cheeks and throats. From egg sucking leeches to pretty winged thingies.
  7. pittendrigh Active Member

montana
    Ratings: +52 / 0
    I use my Nor in rotary mode a lot, for winding wire, hackles and body material of all kinds. The only time I spin it at high speed is to wrap a shank with thread. But slow motion rotary for material wrapping leads to higher quality work. Spinning dubbing loops with the vise is fast and easy. And eliminates the need for clunky hand tools. I find myself coveting a rotary Regal.
  8. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,596 / 0
    I've noticed those who tie with Norvise use the rotary function more often most vises. My primary vise is a Dyna-King Barracuda Jr. I do not use the rotary function for wrapping bodies or adding rib.
    I tie fishing flies and not display flies so I don't need perfectly spaced ribbing or exact bodies.

However, I do use the function to check both sides of the fly and I definitely use it to flip the fly up-side down when tying baitfish patterns when the top of the fly is tied in below the hook bend.
    So while I don't use the rotary function as often as those who use a Norvise, I do find the rotary function desirable and wouldn't buy a new vise that wasn't a rotary style.
  9. Big E Moderator

Coon Bay
    Ratings: +364 / 0
    I can't remember the last time that I didn't use the rotary function. While just doing laid back tying, I use it more for checking the sides or inverting the hook moreso than wrapping on materials. If I'm in production mode though and need to crank out a lot of flies of the same pattern, I'll use the rotary funtion a lot more to wrap on materials.
  10. Krusty Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +601 / 0
    I tied on fixed vises for about 50 years, and finally got a hankering to try something new...so I bought a NorVise about a year ago. Can't believe how much I use the rotary feature. I tie a lot of symmetrical wetflies, and it is fast. Its dubbing capabilities are superb. And I believe the quality and uniformity of my flies has significantly improved because I can easily inspect and work on any part of the fly by fixing its orientation.
  11. WA-Fly Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    I have a rotary regal, its a great vise. I have used renzetti vises and I don't really think the rotary feature is that useful as stated above the "novelty wore off a long time ago"
  12. Dr Bob Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    I have a Norvise and use the rotary function more for nymphs and larger fresh and saltwater flies. I am tying a lot of small dry flies currently and have not really used the rotary function much. I may give it try tonight.

Dr Bob