Rotten Floro Carbon??

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Vladimir Steblina, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ratings: +178 / 0
    So I am connecting some florocarbon leader material to my fly line and the knot kept breaking.

Finally, I just stretched the leader material and it broke......just like rotten nylon leaders.

I thought florocarbon did NOT get rotten. At $15 a leader spool that's expensive.

So it looks like $75 of leader material into the garbage....better to find out today at the table than tomorrow on the lake!!

Anybody else had this problem??
  2. Patrick Allen Active Member

Bothell,WA
    Ratings: +135 / 0
    I was under the same assumption that flouro lasted a long long time.
  3. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,112 / 0
    There's flouro and there's flouro. I see that some companies advertise "100% flourocarbon" which indicates to me that some products sold under the name of flourocarbon may be some manner of mix.

I know I've purchased some flouro from a specific company and it did easily break over time. I no longer buy that brand. Other brands do not have that problem so I now stick with them.
  4. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Mine was labelled as 100% floro....RIO.

One batch was old....probably a decade. The other about 3 or 4 years.

Yes, I do not change flies very often.
  5. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +630 / 0
    I bought a spool of Umpqua on closeout. The first 10 feet or so were bad, but after that it was fine.
  6. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,112 / 0
    Well, there goes my theory....
  7. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +609 / 1
    Fish it Vladimir...makes for better sport ;). I find fluorocarbon too dam expensive and limit my use of it to really tough spring creek waters. I really haven't found it to make that much difference in success rate IMO.
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,397 / 0
    I have never bought it or used any of it. I'm on a limited allowance. I can't afford it.
  9. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    For sport nothing beats fishing a fly with the hook point broken off.

The reason I switched was that I was replacing leaders for four reels or more every year and then buying a new set of mono tippets since they rotted so quickly. If you look at the lifespan I am not sure if mono is any cheaper than flurocarbon. I had that set of fluoro for four years. In that span, of time I would probably have bought three sets of mono tippets.

It would nice if somebody came up with a simple tool that would measure breaking point of fishing line.

Just came back from the store with $75 of tippet material. I asked the owner about lifespan of fluro. His fishing expert pointed out that fluro is made of petroleum products and will eventually break down.
  10. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +609 / 1
    Still, good quality mono (I like RIO Powerflex) is about 3x less than fluorocarbon and I always feel better knowing I have reasonably fresh stuff... painful throwing $15 spools of fc in the trash. I still have a good friend who is a well known guide in Stevensville who fishes Maxima mono...swears by it.
  11. Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

Enumclaw, WA
    Ratings: +30 / 0
    Chemically, floro is really, really stable. It does not degrade, like mono, in sunlight (UV) or it does so slowly.

I have had some old floro that is just fine. However, I have had some new stuff that had bad spots - more than once. I have taken to stripping off 3-5 yds. when I get into a situation like you described. It typically has solved the problem and saved a lot of material.

I think the manufacturing process occasionally pumps out some bad sections. Most processes are less than perfect. I have found it to be rare and fixable. It is less onerous than throwing away mono every year and I get the benefits of the floro.

Super floro is one third thinner than mono, I find that to be a very big deal. I can manage quite big fish with 5X and put some pressure on them to land them quickly. The thinness provides the steath and the refraction index helps a little too. Yeah, it is spendy but a spool last quite a while at only 18" a pop.

Jerry
    triploidjunkie and jwg like this.
  12. rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Renton wa
    Ratings: +77 / 0
    I buy the bigger spool's of segaur floro for spooling reels. I go threw a spool about every two year's. I get 4,6, 8, and 10. Never had a problem
    Mark Kraniger likes this.
  13. Drifter Active Member

troutdale,oregon
    Ratings: +606 / 2
    Blue label seaguar from Bi-Mart $8.50 and never look back.
  14. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +81 / 0
    There have been 2 or 3 generations of fluorocarbon line with improvements in quality.
    Perhaps your old spool was first generation material, and not as good as what is currently available.

Chemically fluorocarbon polymer is a very stable material.

Regarding the comment about "petroleum products", the fishing expert is neither well informed nor logical. both nylon and , for example, are synthetic carbon based materials, ultimately derived from petroleum feedstocks.

Jay
  15. Vladimir Steblina Retired Forester...now fishing instead of working

Wenatchee, WA
    Ok, Jay for me in SLOW ENGLISH.....what does this mean??

For those of you that never listened to Voice of America......SLOW ENGLISH was a news broadcast for people just learning English. A great concept.

I used it when working.....however, most native (ENGLISH) speakers have a real hard time with the concept.
  16. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Edited above for clarity. Hope that helps.

Also I agree with Metcalf's good remarks above

Jay
  17. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    From what I understand, fluorocarbon is more susceptible to weakening when cinching up a knot(due to heat), much more so than mono.

But, simply stretching it? Normally, it is known to retain its strength longer than mono. Likely a bad batch.

A bit off topic, but... Really wet those fluorocarbon knots down before cinching them up!
  18. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    The early "Fluorocarbon Blues" left a bad taste in my mouth for breaking strength and holding knots so I switched back to mono for a couple of seasons, then I read an article that said the same thing about generations. I picked up some new (Airflow?) fluoro and it seems strong and holds knots well. I think the lower refractive index mentioned has let me be successful using tippet a size heavier than I'd use with mono that might help turn over flies better with my mediocre casting.
  19. Brian Miller Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout

WA
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    BTW, I'm not an expert by any means but I read that mono weakens from water absorption; simply getting wet :eek: ?
  20. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    This is correct, if it soaks long enough it can lose about 50% strength, I believe.

Jay