NFR Roundabouts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Sawyer, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

No less than 3 times this month, I have been flipped off, while doing exactly what I’m supposed to in a roundabout. God knows what kind of language was being used but from the facial expressions and the veins in the foreheads popping out I don’t think it was anything you’d want your mother or children to hear.

In addition, to the being flipped off, and what I assume to be colorful language (I didn’t actually hear it, thankfully), I have also had people who were inside the circle stop and impatiently wave me in front of them, into the circle, once by a person on the phone.

I’m not going to say that men are better drivers than women, but all of my experiences at the roundabouts have been with ladies, just an observation.

I know this is a long shot, but we should start somewhere. Please have a discussion with the people in your life that are important to you and see if they know what to do at a roundabout. If not please give them this link and have them check page 33.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/docs/driverguide-en.pdf

2. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Counterclockwise.
    Roundabouts are getting much more prevalent in American traffic design. Gig Harbor has many.

3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

I'm with David...Jeff, you're supposed to merge to the right...not the left.

:p

4. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

I wanted to get about 15 people and take
    over a roundabout. The line of cars bumper
    to bumper letting no one else in. Roll to a stop
    and have a picnic on the island.

Hate em.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. rory

rory Go Outside

Most the people in my neighborhood go clockwise and take the first left. It must save them a lot of time, as they don't have to drive by two other exit options! Unfortunately, if I am using the roundabout properly they may cause a head on collision. It really bothers them when they have to reverse and go in a counterclockwise direction.
    I prefer roundabout to 4 way stops and intersections with no signs. It take people that know how to use them to make them effective.

Bill Aubrey likes this.
  6. Jeff Sawyer

Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Mystery solved.

7. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

Roundabouts were designed by the makers of Xanax.

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

The first one went in around my area and only by accident one day on the local cable station I saw a PSA describing roundabout right-of-way. The rules of ROW and predictable behavior are what make traffic possible. But yeah, it seems like a lot of drivers don't know what the rules are, and for those who took their driver's training a decade or more ago, the rules aren't exactly intuitive.

9. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Most of the roundabouts are stupid, like the one in Sedro-Wooley with no cross street. They are designed to make us look "European". If they want to slow 50 mph traffic to 15 mph they should use speed bumps!

10. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Rules of the roundabout; 1st in has right of way unless the other guy (me) is going faster in a big ass 4x4 than the rule is slam on your brakes 'cause I ain't gonna stop.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  11. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

I agree with Darden-that roundabout in Sedro is totally useless-what a waste of taxpayer money (makes getting into Les Schwab easier though!) Rick

12. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

While the one on Hwy 2 in Sultan makes sense, they made it too small of a diameter and lane width. You should see semi's navigate that thing...scary!!!:eek:

13. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

Yield to the vehicle already in - usually on your left

14. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

If my father in law hears you say that you're in for a shoot out.

15. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

tell him high noon at the round about...:rolleyes:

Jim Ficklin and constructeur like this.
  16. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

They are all stupid !! I'm going to dress in all black and go out one night with a jackhammer !! Amen !!!

17. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I hate them damn things. So far none have I seen in Montana.

I came back to Washington the first of June to get my daughter. I just about flipped out because of then damn things. That one between Duvall and Carnation really sucks big time. Hell they are all bad.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  18. Patrick Gould

There's one in Yakima, Union Gap actually, that feels like it was desigend by a urban planning student at Yakima Valley Community College.

At least the one in Lacey has some signage.

19. TB

TB Member

The story I heard was they were put in because so many people couldn't figure out the 4-way stop....and they expect them to figure out a roundabout...go figure :confused:

20. Patrick Gould

You won't be able to get him to stop bitching about the roundabout long enough to yell "draw!" :)