NFR Roundabouts

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jeff Sawyer, Jul 10, 2012.

1. TB Member

Ma's cow, Idaho area
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    the designers couldn't seem to escape their circular reasoning.

I got stuck on one once...went round in circles for 5 min.:D
  2. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +198 / 0
    They work well, IF you know what you're doing. Much better than traffic lights, IMO.

First time I drove them was in New Zealand, on the other side of the road. Wait til you see a sign for two in a row (figure 8)......

Try that some time.

MB
  3. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +764 / 1
    My introduction was in Britain in '93 on a motorcycle tour. After the first one it was easy, beats hell out of a trafic light. I'm with you Scott...
  4. sroffe Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    Dublin Ireland had a round about from hell. First day in Ireland, jet lag, driving on the wrong side, and round abouts don't mix well.

I got run off the road by a raging grandma in a round about in a village in England.

I have to agree, they seem to work well when every one knows how to negotiate them.
  5. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +150 / 0
    Sroffe is right on! Roundabouts are neat as hell when everyone knows what to do. Uhhhh, that'd be in Europe though. I have no idea why Washington's road engineers are in love with roundabouts. Good idea, wrong country. Someone told me they're a lot cheaper to build than a standard intersection... maybe that's it.
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  6. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +639 / 0
    This kind of thinking is why roundabouts will not work in the state of washington,and to put one in sedro must be part of some kind of a redneck reduction program
  7. Jeff Sawyer Active Member

Tacoma WA
    Ratings: +217 / 0
    I completely agree. I just wish people would make some effort to learn the proper way to use them, preferrably before they cause an accident. Instead what I see is people making it up as they go, then getting frustrated with the folks using them properly.
  8. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +310 / 1
    They put some in on the GuideMeridian North of Bellingham and they work great, makes traffic flow much smoother, I like em. just signal your intentions.
  9. Plecoptera Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +28 / 0
    I would say %90 of the people using roundabouts don't use their turn signal. Things would go a lot smoother if they did.

Also agree about the uselessness of the Skidrow Woolley roundabout. The only people who like it are the employees/customers of Les Schwab.
  10. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +60 / 0
    These things really do suck! I just had the pleasure, last Sunday, of going through that mess in Sultan for the first time:mad: You can't even believe the the back-up of traffic that thing caused. It's a good thing for me that I had just spent the morning catching beautiful rainbows on drys with my 4wt, because I was still in a very relaxed state of mind, and was able to spend the delaytime re-living those earlier moments.

LB
  11. DennisE Topwater and tying.

Tacoma, Washington
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    What's even worse is the traffic circles they've installed in Tacoma! I drove the Gig Harbor roundabouts and flattered myself that I have a handle on driving them while (so far) avoiding the idiots who don't know how. On the Tacoma traffic circles (NOT roundabouts. They have those, too.) I made the assumption that the rules were the same (first in has right-of-way). WRONG! After pissing one driver off royally I went online and looked them up. The rules are the same as any uncontrolled intersection (traffic from the right has right-of-way). In several cases they've put these things in and removed the stop signs from feeder streets. No publication I've seen of notice regarding the changes. I've also seen where they've been used as "launch points" for speeding cars that then take out several parked cars and wind up in somebody's front yard. Compared to these things, roundabouts seem desireable!
  12. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Actually the Sedro round about is a tourist reduction program. Most rednecks in Sedro drive big ass 4x4s like me so my advice is sound. We do not stop in round abouts and those city folk's Priuses don't stand up very well when a jacked up F250 drives over the top of them. But I must agree with others that the one in Sedro seems a bit stupid unless they plan on doing something with the old Skagit Steel property.

I like the one in Bellingham on Cordata. It has the highest accident rate of all intersections in B-Ham. Yeah, those things work great.

I remember right after they opened the one in Mt. Vernon on College Way and Hyway 9. I seen an old farmer driving a tractor with trailer loaded with hay stopped at that thing just scratching his head wondering what the hell he was suppose to do.
    bennysbuddy and Patrick Gould like this.
  13. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    If Washington wasn't packed full of the worst drivers in the US then I'm sure all the roundabouts being discussed would have no issues. Considering that most WA drivers can't even figure out how to enter a highway (or move over to let others enter), it's not a surprise they can't figure out something like a roundabout.

Seriously, they aren't that difficult people. They also can work great in areas that are well suited to them. However, it seems like it's just a fad with the DOT's so they put them everywhere lately whether the area is well suited or not. In most cases, they beat the hell out of a 4 way stop.
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    Yeah we drive a lot worse then, say, folks in Californicate. Those assholes don't even know that turn signals are not an aid for turning but an actual signal device to let others know what the hell they are doing but then again the asshole behind the wheel needs to know what he is doing and most Californitcators barely know how to start a vehicle. I have been lucky or unlucky enough to drive in a bunch of the states and I can tell you straight up people drive like idiots everywhere you go. If you don't like the way they drive here move your ass to New York. You will love how they drive there.
  15. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 1
    Those engineers just want something different to build. I guess they feel like that have to justify their existence or something. The problem is in many cases they're just wasting money. Two stop signs cost a hell of a lot less than a two lane roundabout.
  16. Patrick Gould Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +684 / 1
    The roundabout between Cle Elum and Roslyn is great for testing the tire grip of a turbo Subaru.
    mtskibum16 likes this.
  17. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +639 / 0
    The reason people don't use their turn signal is--- in washington state there is a law stating that you must have one hand on the steering wheel at all times, to use the turn signal they would have to put down their cell phone to remain legal and that isn't going to happen!!!
    Old Man likes this.
  18. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +401 / 0
    First time I saw them was while honeymooning in Queensland in 2001. It was fucking brilliant. Blasting around in some little right hand drive Japanese econobox, Roxette blaring on the radio (like it was still 1992), we'd hit those things at mach 10 and steer and veer like mad. Don;t hit the brakes or you'll have a lorry up your ass!

Two thoughts:

1. That tiny P.O.S. in Sultan is much less fun than the larger and easier to negotiate round aboots in Australia.

2. I only see them in the suburbs, so it must be another punishment for living in suburban hell. Ha!
  19. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ah another turbo Suby guy :)
  20. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Well I'd give the more rural areas a break....I'm sure the driving skill raises the further you get from Seattle. I do agree that there are terrible drivers everywhere though.