Rowing Classes

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by cmann886, Apr 14, 2012.

1. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    Has anyone taken the How to Row a Drift Boat Class from Reds? I am contemplating doing and would like to know if the investment is worth it.
  2. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Haven't done it. But, get a CD from Clackacraft--full of rowing tips. And, Hyde has a DVD out on rowing a drift boat that is excellent.
  3. rtl New Member

city longmont co
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I did one a few years back 5 days on a boat

One of the instructors had 15000 hrs

great use of time and money

back then 500 or 600 now it is a thousand and you get local fishing guide knowledge
  4. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    thanks for the tips---I'll check out the videos---Anyone actually taken the class from Reds?
  5. Todd Liles Member

Denver, CO
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I took the course through Red's and was lucky enough to have Steve Joyce as an instructor. Well worth the money and got some great info on the Yak to boot. He covers everything from launching / loading, anchoring (where to and not), and the difference in rowing for fishing vice just getting down. I had never rowed a boat other than stillwater and it put me at ease when I bought my boat.

That's just a few of the topics I can remember off the top of my head but definately worth the money!

Todd
    Ed Call likes this.
  6. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Thanks Todd---I missed the one on Saturday---I'll have to look at his calendar again. I'll probably look at more you-tube videos and check out the recommended DVDs.
  7. Paul Norton Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Looks like you haven't missed it yet, it's this coming Saturday. (Thinking of taking it myself, but can't this time around.)

Next class that I saw on their calendar is June 10.
  8. Todd Liles Member

Denver, CO
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    They may be doing things different these days but back when I took the class, I scheduled for when I wanted to take it. Then again, I had a one on one class not a group thing...
  9. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    The Red's Classes this weekend, How to row a drift boat Sat. and Pontoon boat fishing the Yakima Sun, have been rescheduled to the 18th and 19th of May due to river conditions. We have done several private lessons on both pontoon and boat when our guests ask for a private lesson and there are 3 or 4 that are interested.
    http://www.redsflyshop.com/rfscalendar.pdf
    Need a Clack DVD place an online order with us and ask for a Clack DVD in the notes.
    Craig
    Red's Fly Shop
    509-933-2300