Roy Patrick Stuff/Nostalgia

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Bill Douglas, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Bill Douglas

Bill Douglas blue collar dirtbag

Media:
    I was going through the old man's stuff a while back and made an interesting find. A book entitled Tie Your Own Flies, written by Roy Patrick himself. It is copyrighted 1956. The copy I possess is a 1962 reprint. I also have a book entitled Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns that came from Patrick's. It has no date. It looks like it was copied directly from a typewritten original, not professionally printed.

It turns out my old man used to stop into the shop quite a bit back in the day. He lived up on Queen Anne hill, and had a paper route that brought him down on Eastlake. He would go in there and spend his hard-earned paper route money and get tips from Mr. Patrick.

Okay, I'm done rambling now. I just found the whole thing kind of cool, a little piece of Pac. NW fly fishing history and memorabilia.
    -Bill

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

Media:
    I have a copy of Pacific NW Fly Patterns, mostly for nostalgia reasons. Its the first book that I ever learned to tie from. And the patterns are true to the day, not altered like many of the pattern books show today.

Patrick's used to rock, I used to summer on Yale Street, across the alley from the Eastlake Zoo. And only 1 block from that hallowed ground.

Its ashame that Roy has passed on. And its ashame that that shop has ceased to exist, except in name. May the great fly fishing days that Roy manned the shop for will return.

BTW, copies of both books, "Tie Your Own Flies" and "Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns" can be found at David Ishii, Bookseller in Pioneer Square. Just ask David to show you where they are kept. He is one of the old time Patrick's guys, too.

Rob

3. Preston

Preston Active Member

Tie Your Own Flies, Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns, some Seely Octopus hooks, a few cards of wool, Jim Pray optic beads, and even a little nubbin of Roy's special dubbing wax; those are the only physical mementoes that I have of Roy and his shop. More than that, the memories of talking for hours with Roy and his cronies can't begin to be measured. The only time I met Syd Glasso was one day when he stopped in at Patrick's after catching his first dry fly summer runs just above the mouth of Deer Creek on the North Fork.

I'd been laid off from Boeing that summer (along with nearly everybody else in the '70's) and used to stop by every Tuesday on the way back from my weekly visit to the employment office. Roy was a true gentleman whose like we rarely see today.