Roy Patrick

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Dave McNeese, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Dave McNeese

Dave McNeese One of the OLD guys

One of many salt water silver salmon streamers from Roy Patrick in the '50s. Roy developed many flies that were the basis of what we have today.

2. Hywel

Hywel New Member

Wow, *there's* a name that's not heard very much any more!

Patrick's used to be *the* fly shop 'back in the day' and Roy Patrick certainly influenced a whole generation (and then some) of tyers and anglers.

Pity that the shop has sort of gone to seed in comparison to what it was.

Thanks for sharing, Dave.

3. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Man !, how can I agree more with the above?.The tying book in my opinion is the best ever illustrated and written for the beginning tyer.

and the NW pattern book? Almost every one of my "favorite" flys came from that pattern book. :thumb:

davy

4. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have both of those books Davy. You're right, they are both excellent. Actually, I had totally spaced about Roy's tying book. That is a top notch book for the beginner. Just hard to find now adays I'd assume.

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Is it still possible to get a copy these days?

6. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    I believe the current shop proprieter ( Jimmy, I think is right ) holds and keeps the copyright current, they may have some more recently printed copies- I am not sure on that however.

7. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Thanks, Davy!

8. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Davy, you're right. He does still own the copyrights. I had just emailed him, because there were some pictures I wanted to use in the books. Very nice guy to deal with, and gave me the ok to photocopy and post them. I've never been to the shop, but would interesting to see if they still printed them. I know they were printed by "Patricks Press", so not sure if they have a printer in the back room. LOL.

9. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    Yeah , Jimmy is a very nice guy- wasn't sure if he still had the place- heck of tyer Jimmy is too.He too is a big spey fly fan . Years ago I recall a specific fly ( I think called a blue spey??) he tyed with dyed lt.blue mallard that was just a beaut !

You oughtta goad him into posting some of his work on here !! :thumb:

Well, no ones gonna need tying classes now :( - those iilustrations in that book really make it pretty darn easy to learn to tie without a teacher .Thats why I have always told people looking to learn or asking about books- if they can find a copy --buy it.

perhaps they print more than books with that thing in the back room ?? LMAO

take care

davy

10. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    Patrick's is a sponsor of this site. Jimmy does a great job at Patrick's. It is not as big as some shops but they have great quality tying supplies. They are currently selling pheasant that is dyed with Roy Patrick's original dyes. Jimmy is always willing to sit down and show you how to tie a particular pattern. Check it out. If you haven't been to the shop recently, give them a try.

11. Davy

Davy Active Member

Media:
    iagree

12. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

Man! that's a blast from the past. When I moved to BC from Toronto in the early seventies there was very little in the way of local pattern books or fly shops for that matter. On a rainy Friday afternoon I drove to Patrick's fly shop, ( I had a helluva job finding it) and purchased the pattern book. I still have it somewhere in the house. It was a silk screen printing job with a plastic spine binding and a gray cover. There were some very handy fly patterns in the book, not much in the way of illustrations though.

13. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Yeah, the book you have didn't have many (I think one or two flies) for illustrations in it. But Roy did have a "flytying" book. Was a very good book actually. Has alot of good info and illustrations. Think Roy drew them, will have to drag the book out to find out for sure. I never have been to Patricks, so have no idea. Was a bit out of my way growing up.

14. MrP

MrP Member

Media:
    "Tie Your Own Flies" by Roy Patrick was first published in 1956. It was illustrated by Alan Pratt, who if middle age memory serves me correctly, also did the illustrations on the wall menus for Dag's. Dags was a local hamburger restaurant and home of the (nearly) world famous Dagillac burger.

For those of us who measure the time since we learned to tie in decades rather than years, you will appreciate that Roy's first book showed you how to wax your tying silk and then attach it to the hook. There was no mention of a bobbin; we just tied a half hitch after every step. Every once in awhile I still tie a fly without the bobbin just to see if I can still do it.

Roy's instructions are complete; as a novice tyer I found them to be tremendous. All of the illustrations are done by Alan in black and white. The flies in the book are definitely reflective of the times; Grey Hackle, Brown Hackle, Professor, Wooley Worm, Adams, Black Gnat, Nylon Nymph, Black Ant Nymph, Silver Doctor, Mosquito, Pink Lady, Grey Hackle Braided Body, Orange Shrimp, Pacific King, Grey Widow, Lord Hamilton, McGinty, Coho Fly are what he uses to present his lessons.

At this point in time most of the value in the book is probably nostalgic. I don't discount nostalgic value at all (I like it a lot) but for instructional value the book doesn't compare with modern publications like Kaufmann's "Tying Nymphs" and his "Tying Dry Flies". The book has been out of print for years but can be found sometimes for not much money at:

http://www.oldfishingstuff.com/fishing_books.htm

His second book, "Pacific Northwest Fly Patterns" was published in 1964. The easy to find "flying capitals" throughout the book evidence that it was all done on a manual typewriter. My how times have changed. The book has the dressing for approximately 500 patterns. Virtually every pattern has a sentence or two commentary about the origin of the fly or suggested applications. In a few cases there is a good size paragraph. I still enjoy looking through this book each winter. There are some tried and true favorites here, some flies that have long since gone out of favor, and some that I always wondered if anyone besides Roy and his friends used. This book has much more nostalgic value than "How to Tie Flies." It's not modern, the few illustrations are just quick pencil sketches, all of the pages are fuzzy. This one is very satisfying to read. It still makes me smile.

15. SpeyRodBeBop

SpeyRodBeBop Member

Knew, I still had it somewhere.

16. Jerry Daschofsky

Media:
    Home Page:
    Thanks MrP for all the info. That was excellent. Last name wouldn't be Patrick would it? ;) :rofl:

I actually enjoyed the book immensely. Gave some good techs. Especially for a poor kid who scavenged books as he could back then. Kaufmann's books hadn't been published yet, I don't think, when I started tying (circa 1980).

Thanks again for all that info. It was great. Love the picture in the front (one I wanted to copy the most) of a portrait of Roy tying. Just hilarious.