Royal Wulff Ambush

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by hopeful fly fisher, Dec 31, 2012.

1. hopeful fly fisher

hopeful fly fisher New Member

Anyone use a Royal Wulff Ambush on your Spey Rod? How does it work for you. Seems a much simpler option than most others. I have recently bought a Allen Olympic 6126 6wt Spey Rod and a Alpha II - 3 reel. Fish mostly the Methow and Wenatchee.

Thanks for your input!

Chuck

2. Jon Q

Jon Q Member

Does not have enough weight (grain).

3. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

I have an Ambush that I use for single-hand spey casting on a 9'-6" 7/8 weight SH rod and I like it. If you're using a switch rod, an appropriate grain weight Ambush is OK, but I think you'd do better with a line with a bit longer head (2-1/2 to 3 x rod length). If you're talking a 12' or longer rod, I'd recommend something else. Suggestion, contact Bob Meiser and talk to him. He'll have a Steve Godshall SGS line made for you and for that rod and your casting style that's no more $ than an Ambush and you'll love it. There's a reason you don't see them for sale on the boards; they work.

4. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

Although I`ve never tried one , a quick google reveals that the lines and heads are available in weights up to 600 grains , so finding something heavy enough should`nt be an issue , but I agree with Robert that the length could be .

5. Benni

Benni Member

Media:
    i run the 400 grain head on my deer creek 6 weight, and it rocks. i would recommend it.

6. soundflycaster

soundflycaster Member

The head on the Ambush line is very short. It was originally designed for single hand rods but guys started using it for switch rods and they expanded to the heavier line weights. I prefer it on rods 11' and under. This line is very versatile and I have brought a lot of fish to the bank with it.

7. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I use an 8wt. on a 10' 7 wt single hand and like it, I don't have have one the right weight for my two switch rods (one is a 5 wt. and the 8 wt. ambush just doesn't cut it for two handed casting with my stroke)---for throwing tips I have an Airflo Skagit Switch that I have paired with a reddington CPX 11'3" 7 wt. It is a better line than I am a caster---the same can be said for a custom Scandi from Bob M. that I have tried to use with both nylon and poly-leaders; I find this set up frustrating to use with the poly leaders. With more practice, I can use it but I don't get the satisfaction that I do with the airflo---but I expect that to change with more practice.

I tried one an an appropriate switch rod at West Slope before I purchased a switch rod and it seemed to cast well---but using it on my single handed rods it does not mend well. For a 6 wt spey rod, I'd be inclined to go with a longer head, and would certainly go cast the line before I made a purchase. I would seriously look at a Bob M. skandit set up---

I would also review the posts on the spey pages---numerous threads on this subject are available.

8. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    The Ambush is very similar to RIO skagit short [20'] or Airflo skagit switch [18' - 19.5'] They are longer than advertised 20' once above 400 grains.

"The first lines sizes, 4-6 (195-235 grains) were primarily for the trout guys. As switch rods became more popular as a tool for trout and light steelhead fishing, requests for larger sizes were answered with Ambush lines being made in sizes 7- 10 (266-400 grains).The next production of Ambush lines, the 11-14 weights (450-600 grains) are for the double handed casters that wanted a line with a very short head for fishing in really tight areas. They require a very short casting stroke and work best with the shorter 11-12 ½ foot rods typically used in fishing smaller rivers or big rivers with little or no room for a D-loop. These lines have a slightly longer head to accommodate the extra length in the rod". -Royal Wulff Site

I tend to prefer an integrated running line for my small water fishing or 'back to the brush' tight casting over fishy runs. Otherwise, agree that they may be somewhat short for all purpose use.

9. hookedonthefly

hookedonthefly Active Member

The Ambush lines work great on most switch rods when lined correctly. I use them in applications where I want an integrated running line such as fishing for salmon. Stripping flies for salmon with a spey rod doesn't work well.

For the Methow and Wenatchee, I would stick to a Scandi or Rage line and back it up with a Skagit Compact. The benefit of a non-intregrated running line is that you can swap out the heads easily. The Scandi lines are awesome for no or light wind conditions and skating flies. The Skagit Compact covers the other end in medium/heavy wind conditions, fishing sinking tips and delivering medium to large flies.

If you're interested in the Ambush line, I would demo a couple before you buy it. This will ensure you get a line that will work for you and your rod.

10. Benni

Benni Member

Media:
    after thinking about it and reading others responses, i suppose i should be a little more thoughtful in my reply. this line (400 grain head) was recommended to a friend of mine, who has the same rod, a 12 1/2 foot 6 weight. i tried it out, and liked it very much. yes it is short, but it fit my casting stroke very well. i fish small rivers to largish rivers, and for light tips up to medium largish flies, it works very well for me. this was the first year that i used a 2 hander in the salt ( i was always resistant to this, why i don't know), at high tides, it was the only way to fish. so, as everyone else says, "try it before you buy it!". if you can test a variety of lines and pick what works best for you, do it. hopefully this is a bit more helpful than my last reply :)

11. hopeful fly fisher

hopeful fly fisher New Member

Thanks for all the great input. This spey thing is all new to me, and I appreciate all the help I can get!

Chuck