Royal Wulff Wings

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by breadman, Jul 2, 2005.

1. breadman New Member

Pasco WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I was wondering what you guys thought was the best material to use for hair wings on a Royal Wulff. I normaly use calf hair, but I saw some tied that had hair that was straigh and looked really nice compared to the slight crinkle of calf hair. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Spencer
  2. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    I have used calftail, but found it tough to use. I now use calf body hair, which is less crinkly, but it is hard to stack and hold. It makes for a nice looking fly though. I have used white poly, but it looks kinda funky. However the body is easier to build without the bulk that the hair gives.

The royal wulff is my "go-to" fly most of the time when I fish small waters, usually with a nymph dropper.

Wayne
  3. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    calf body I 2nd !
  4. breadman New Member

Pasco WA
    Thanks Guys,, I will definetly give the body hair a go.

Spencer
  5. wet line New Member

Burien, WA, King.
    Squirrel tail works well for me when I want a dark wing. Sometimes I wil add a tuft of white buck tail to the top if I want a marker.

Squirrel is fine and straight and easy to use if tied in with two or three bunches of hair. I also like the contrast that natural squirrel gives to the fly.

Dave
  6. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    You could also use white Z-lon, Antron, or poly yarn. These work especially well on small (#18-#24) Royal Wullfs because they have a less bulkly tie in area and are simply trimmed to size after being set.