RST 5/6, 15 footer?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Jeremy Floyd, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I was just given a 5/6, 15 foot rod by the local rep for RST rods, out of Germany. Has anyone played around with this particular rod? I was told, and by the feel of it, it is a pretty slow rod. I can't find a grain window or anything in regards to how folks have been lining it.

Thanks for any input.

2. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    15 ft. 5/6 wt?

3. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
  4. Ian Broadie

Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Media:
    Home Page:
    Never heard of the rod or RST but based on your description the first thing I'd try on the rod is a 5/6 GPS, Power Spey, UniSpey, or any line that requires a long slow deliberate casting stroke. A 15' 5/6 weight is pretty weird though and I don't see a whole lot of practical application for it but who knows it could be awesome.

5. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Jeremy,
    Have a look at speypages Japan or search for speycasting Japan, they fish a lot of long double-handed rods there for small Cherry Salmon but love the longer rod, Harry at Clan rods has sent hundreds like this over the years, you should find a line suited to this rod with the search on Speycasting Japan.
    Cheers Gordon.
    www.mackenzieflyfishing.com

6. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I have a 5/6 windcutter if you want to try it, holla

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Yes, they do make them 'longer,' and some highly rep folks design/build them. But my .02 cents? These are 'trouters' as we'd say here on the Rogue River. I see, or more to the point read about, these light rods at the length and I have to ask .... "What's the point?"

2 - 5wt 2-handers out to 13'ish feet I can see, but beyond that? I'm at a dead loss as to why you'd even want to fish with same. You get that 1# 'trout to the beach ... envision trying to get down close enough to release the thing?

Yes, yes I can give you a 'promise' you won't believe how far you can chuck those small flies .... but if you don't even know where they are on/under the water ..... ? All that line drag and the fish will have to hook themselves. You won't even know they're there until that point.

Trust me, I speak from experience.

Just hit the link posted above and looked at the rod pricing! WOOOOOOOZER! You can purchase the best Burkie, Mieser, Anderson has to offer for less money ..... and you know who designed/custom built the rod in their shop.

8. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    I was told the grain window goes up to 450 or so on the rod. It is built for summer run style light flies. I am told that these are some of the best built rods in Europe.

I have tried it loade with the Airflo tactical SH @390gr, and the 480gr Rio Unispey. Super slow stroke, and it throws really nice. Nice soft feel to the rod, its light, and pretty powerful.

9. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Jeremy,
    I am not sure who told you they are some of the best built rods in Europe, i had not even heard of them until this post, i have never seen anyone fish one in the UK.
    Cheers Gordon.

DTX Pro Staff.

10. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

RST has been around from at least the late seventies or early eighties

Jeremy Floyd likes this.
  11. Ian Broadie

Media:
    Home Page:
    It looks like the rod fits in the "could be awesome" category and looking at their prices on their site they had better be. It's kinda odd that they haven't surfaced before now with the cross pollination of gear and companies taking place in the industry now. I am intrigued by the concept of a long 5/6 wt but for what I do and how I fish I don't see much practical application for it..

12. Jeremy Floyd

Media:
    Being relatively new to Canada I have had to take other people's advice on a lot of brands because they are foreign (not a bad joke, but sorta funny) to me. I have been told by several people in the business (not just salesmen) that this rod company is on par with Sage, and Burk, and Meiser, and the high end mass producers in the US.

After casting it, it is a very nice two handed rod that is in the upper end of power for the rods I have used. It really loads well. I would personally choose a shorter rod if I was buying, but for a try-it-free-and-tell-me-what-you-think-about-it, I can't complain about the length. It airs out the floating RIO line supremely nice..

13. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Go to the SpeyPages web board ... 99% two hander. At 450'ish grains this is a 5wt rod, and at the high end of that for chucking mini-skagit heads. A Scandi would put you at about 360; to cast same as a 'lighter rod' (3wt if it's there) 250 to 300 grains at about a 22 foot head.

But what do I know?
    :>)

14. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Long rod has it's own charm to me too. I think Meiser has been making quite a few those long trout rods and ship them to Japan. It seems to me that North America is just start to taking up this fun. Wading in a trout lake could be a lot of fun with a long rod... the casting tempo and line management require different mind set. Mark

Stillwater spey in Japan

15. Ian Broadie

Media:
    Home Page:
    My Japanese is super rusty ;) but I catch what he's getting at with the video, fishing has its own universal language eh' :). Actually I have a similar technique for I use for salmon/sea run cutthroat fishing but instead of a super long rod I use a switch rod or shorter two-hander, a Skagit head, floating MOW tip,a 10' or longer leader with a weighted fly. Worked like a champ for pink salmon last fall in both salt and fresh water.

The more I see of the super long light two-handers the more I want to try one.

yuhina likes this.
  16. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Long rods have their place and time, and a lake vs a river may very well be one wade casting. Out of float tubes these 'ultra-long rods' have been proven to be very questionable. Haven't personally done that so just repeating what I've read on several occasions.

Landing/releasing fish off of one of these puppies "requires" the leader be shorter than the rod ... I think you can easily see the 'why of that.'

That said, the 'long and lights' by Bob and Gary Anderson (ACR rods) are extremely well designed and built. I'm sure there are other names that could be tossed into the pot, but their rods I know and love. Or at least my cheque book loves them is my statements have anything to do with anything.
    ;>)