Rubbing a fish...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Alexander, May 6, 2014.

1. Yes, it's called Gyotaku - got learn how to do that today with 3 of my kids. Got a rock fish, put some paint on it, put paper over it and rubbed it. Not that simple but that's the gist. Fun...can't wait to do a flounder, bull head, steel, etc. fun stuff! A little messy but worth the fun

IMGP0038.JPG

flyfool likes this.
  2. I'm really hoping you're not talking about a c&r only pugetsound rockfish.

3. Do you hum something while rubbing it?

flyfool likes this.
  4. I've done that before. Fish with large scales work well, carp, tilapia etc. Like Alexander says it's not a simple as it sounds, but the results can be really cool if you get it right.

Alexander and triploidjunkie like this.
  5. I was rubbing my fish in the garage one day, but the garage door was open and suddenly the police showed up. That was really embarassing. I had a hard time explaining the paint. They were worried that I was abusing an endangered species and I said hell yes, how long do you think I can last?

They finally left, but I think they have their eye on me.

I keep the garage door closed now.

But that doesn`t mean I've given up my artwork.

6. I don't exactly know what that means, but I like it.

flyfool likes this.
  7. This fish was bought at Pike Place Market by someone else, for me to play with. ;)

8. :D

9. I like it so much I'm going to do this with my neighbor's cat.

10. I was liking it too, but jeez louise, there's cameras everywhere these days. I shoulda kept the garage door closed. Oh well, live and learn.

11. I figured as much, I just immediately envisioned lingcod bycatch getting rolled in paint LOL.
    I didn't know they sell rockfish at the market, might have to swing by there soon

12. It's not often that they do, but apparently we were lucky.

13. I assume you ate is after the Gyotaku! :p
    We used to eat them every so often when I was a kid (and you were allowed to harvest them). Very tasty, indeed (although I fully support conservation of these critters).

14. Caught a really nice largemouth years ago; around eight pounds. My girlfriend at the time was an artist who was familiar w/ this technique. She made me a really cool tee shirt. The "interesting " part was that it never lost the fish smell. Sort of like John Waters "odorama."