Rufus Woods giant trout?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fly15, Mar 27, 2002.

1. fly15

fly15 New Member

I keep hearing that gear and bait fisherman catch lots of huge triploid rainbows out of rufus woods resivoir.Has anyone ever fly fished rufus woods in eastern washington?Which is a dammed part of the columbia river by electric city.i want to try this lake this summer, a 10 to 12 pound trout is nothin out of hear and the lattest state record for a rainbow came from rufus and it was over 20 pounds.
    Theres got to be a way to catch these football shaped pigs on fly. :DUNNO

2. fishnfella

fishnfella New Member

Fish till ya drop.
    Then suck it up
    and fish the evening hatch.

I live nearby and all I can tell you is your pioneering if ya try.
    It's not a river and not a lake...problem #1. It's very large and not floattube friendly problem #2. The water is cold Columbia River meltwater in the spring problem #3. The hatches are few and far between problem #4. The major fishery is spring when the trout and a million baitchuckers and lure draggers congregate near the netpens,problem #5.
    I hear rumors occasionally, but they usually turn out to be guys dragging those K-flies behind flashers like on Roosevelt.
    I suggest waiting untill summer and then trying hoppers or if that
    doesen't work try dragging big streamers.

3. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

Well for what it is worth, I have watched them catch them and they are the biggest rainbows I've ever seen. They throw out power bait right downstream of the hatchery pens and then hold on. They do it from the shore. The hatch would be a size 6 or 8 nymph hook with brown chenile or dubbing over a highly floatable foam body. You guessed right. It is the infamous "pellet fly." I have been there and it is usually crowded and you have to roll cast about 50'. There is a road right to the spot and all the locals know about it. I could find it again but don't know how to tell you.
    Randy