Rugged Creek Fly Gear?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Seth Adams, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Seth Adams

Seth Adams Member

hey, i was just wondering if anyone had heard of rugged creek fly rods and reels? i looked on their website and after reading all about them and looking at reviews and stuff i purchased "the nympher" switch rod and reel combo package to begin my journey into double handing. i'll let everyone know how it stands up when i take it out on the water, but it was such an attractive price i couldn't pass it up! $350 for the 11'3" 5/6 switch rod, 5/7 weight large arbor reel, scandi style switch line, hard rod/reel case, rod sleeve, and neoprene reel sleeve. i know judging a book by it's cover its wrong, but these rod and reel setups just look sooo dang nice too! lol anyways, anybody got the down low on these guys?

http://www.ruggedcreek.com/cgi-bin/viewproduct.cgi?product_id=1002#description

2. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    I saw the rugged creek stuff last year when i was on the hunt for a switch setup. I'm generally skeptical of these super bargains, they usually come from one place and end up for sale under a whole variety of names.

You'd probably have been better served to buy some used gear. I put together an echo sr, scientific anglers system2, airflo skagit switch setup for less than $350 and if I ever try to sell it people won't ask " rugged who??"

3. Seth Adams

Seth Adams Member

dang. you're right i never thought of that. well, hopefully i'm pleasantly surprised.

4. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Who knows, could be good. Wish you the best with the setup.

Seth Adams likes this.
  5. Seth Adams

Seth Adams Member

THANKS!

6. 406Jake

406Jake New Member

I've looked into these guys before, and I think they are covered in other forum posts... regardless, there are suspiciously similar looking rods bulk manufactured in china available here:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/836800438/high_carbon_double_hand_switch_fly.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/546378378/Mentalic_SAGE_color_finish_switch_fly.html

I haven't looked, but I suspect there are similar links where you can buy bulk fly reels and lines.

That being said - i'm 95% confident Rugged Creek is a start up that ordered the minimum bulk order of pre-made rods, reels and lines from china - stamped their fancy new logo on top - cut out the R&D, advertising and overhead costs and ship them out of the living room via UPS as orders come in. Although their website gives the image of a small Idaho start-up that through years of experience has crafted a capable line of rods and reels from scratch, I don't buy it. To be fair though, I don't think they're doing anything much differently than the big name brands cutting costs on lower end models - I would just be careful of the warranty/customer service.

IF they truly are trying to start a lasting fly rod company than I suspect they will handle any warranty issues with parts and pieces from their bulk overseas orders. IF they're not in this for the long haul then I suspect they ordered the minimum number of components from china, paid their college buddy graphic designer a case of beer to come up with a logo, hired their other buddy to make a website, and will answer calls/emails until they break even/sell out of current inventory/get tired of this current get rich quick scheme.

Just my 2 cents - maybe they cast better than a new burkie..

7. Seth Adams

Seth Adams Member

well shit.lol

8. Terry Bare

Terry Bare Member

In fact before you spend less then 600 on a rod you may want to find out where it comes from.. TFO, ECHO ,ORVIS, Redington, this is just a thought.. Oh wait and lets talk about the reels on the market today too.. Where is Sages reels made, how about Hardy? So before we go bashing on someone who maybe trying to start a company and fit it with others maybe figure out what works on the water. Just my two cents and I hope your out fit fishes great.

9. macSuibhne

macSuibhne Member

No offense intended but I suspect there is less acrimony in posting a relatively objective analysis than in rising up every time someone says something that someone, somewhere, might interpret as "bashing."

Personally, as an adult, I'd rather know both the pluses and the possible minuses. I can make my own decision from there, I think.

Some stuff made overseas is great. Some not so much. It depends almost entirely on how involved the company wants to be.

10. Terry Bare

Terry Bare Member

I do agree with you some are good and some not so much.. Knowing the pluses and minuses is a very good thing when coming from a knowledgeable source. Part of the price we pay for our gear is
    reputation of the company and how they treat people..Sorry for using "bashing"

11. macSuibhne

macSuibhne Member

I think you're 100% correct--it's all reputation. Of course that comes almost directly from the way the company treats its customers and the degree to which they are responsive to the needs of the customer.

But bottom line is that whether we like it or not the only reason to have a product manufactured in China or the Philippines, etc., is to save money. The cost of production--wages, material, and overhead--is significantly lower overseas than domestically. Of course, the unspoken upshot of that is that denying the jobs to our own people not only reduces the amount of available income to buy a companies product, it near-as-nevermind forces us into a dependent relationship with lower quality goods.

But the responsiveness to the customer is necessarily also less. A reputable manufacturer such as Sage can design a mandrel and send it, along with a couple of reps, to China for production. And for the time it takes to set up the facility and get the line up to speed everything goes along smoothly and to the extent that Sage maintains close oversight of quality control, everything will continue to meet at least minimum standards. But the moment the oversight abates so does quality. For the simple reason that the Chinese plant managers are responding to the same impulses that led Sage to go off-shore in the first place--expediency.

The fact is that, 99.99% of the time a small company that is intimately involved at every level with the design and manufacturing of the product--such as Burkheimer--is gonna produce an objectively better quality product and be more responsive to the customer than even the best manufacturer relying on offshore production.

"Without good there is no better, without better there is no best, and without a recognition that there is a hierarchy of quality in all things, nothing rises above the level of mediocre."

Terry Bare likes this.
  12. Seth Adams

Seth Adams Member

Well thanks for all of the responses and input everybody. just thoight i would come back and report on it. I took it down to the nisqually this weekend. The rod had a pretty good feel to it. Single hand casted like a dream, was pravticing my snap t cast, wow! Lol learning a new cast is really humbling. Haha especially when theres alot of people watching.lol but the reel was very nice quality. nice drag system, smooth and looks great. i let one of my buddies who had never tried a fly rod before use it and on maybe the second time he hucked the line out there he pulled in what i think is a tiny steelhead, maybe a baby rainbow (see attached pic to tell me what it is lol) then we went over to the deschutes to try and nab some little cutties, but to no avail :( all in all i am very happy with the purchase. It fits all my needs as a somewhat novice, and i have no problem paying what i paid for it when i probably wojldnt be able to tell whata 800 dollar rod felt like if i was casting it.