Rumor: Statewide steelhead release overturned

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Nailknot, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    The rumor I received in email: This afternoon, The City of Forks has succeeded in their attempt to overturn the WDFW statewide ban on wild steelhead retention.

Edit: not a rumor:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/apr2904a.htm

I guess Forks just gets another hearing? But the ban stands? So, we just all need to get over to PA or wherever, one more time, and testify?

2. mcoomer

mcoomer New Member

OK, I'll bite. Where did you get this from. Those spammers from China put all sorts of stuff in their spam for generic viagara. Are you sure it wasn't one of those folks just trying to tailor their message to catch your attention?

Having said that, I hope that it's just a rumor. First the plan to count hatchery fish with natives and now this. I don't think I could take two blows in two days.

Mike

3. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
    The city of Forks hasn't won yet...they did get a chance for a public meeting, we just need to make sure they here from the public!!! The phone numbers for contacts are on the article. See you at the meeting!!!

Steve Buckner
    www.northwestflyfisherman.com

4. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    If they do succeed in getting it overturned, I'll make it a point to swing by the Chamber of Commerce in Forks every time I go through town to let them know how much money I'm not spending there.

5. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

Following is the press release from the WDFW. Those of us who have been posting on various threads on this
    and other boards on this subject,
    both pro and con, will now have an opportunity to speak up. It's time to stand up and be counted.

Leland.

NEWS RELEASE
    WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, Washington 98501-1091
    Internet Address: <http://wdfw.wa.gov>http://wdfw.wa.gov
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    April 29, 2004
    or Susan Yeager, (360) 902-2267

Public hearing, formal rule-making process to be held on wild steelhead moratorium

OLYMPIA-- The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission today voted to hold a hearing this summer
    to take public testimony on the commissionâs recently imposed two-year moratorium on wild steelhead retention.

The 5-1 vote came after the City of Forks filed a petition with the commission requesting that a formal
    rule-making process be initiated on the moratorium issue. Such proceedings require a public hearing.

Commissioner Bob Tuck voted against initiating the formal rule making process.
    Commissioner Lisa Pelly was absent from the meeting.

Following the public hearing, which is expected to be held in August or September,
    commissioners could let their earlier decision stand, or they could modify or rescind the decision.

Commissioners voted 5-3 in February to impose the moratorium, which takes effect May 1.
    Wild steelhead retention already had been permanently banned in much of the state, but was still allowed on
    several Olympic Peninsula river systems where stocks are relatively strong.

Following the moratorium vote this winter, officials with the City of Forks and others voiced objections
    to the commissionersâ action, saying the ban would pose economic hardships for their community,
    a popular destination for steelhead anglers.

6. TomB

TomB Active Member

Here's the bright side...if we win this time, nobody can dispute that it was fair and square...and.... I will be back in seattle, so they will have to hear my wrath!!!!!}( }( }( }( }(
    -thomas

7. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Even since I've been paying attention to the regs and the process, I've been perplexed. The politics and WDFW approach are important to understand before we wish regs to be. Often there are unintended consequences. While I support statewide wild steelhead release in principle, I'm not at all a proponent of blanket regs. Reason? If we had blanket regs we wouldn't be fishing for dollies, probably not coho, no chinook, or any other species that is hurting in much of the range, but healthy in a few watersheds. The response to the WSR reg from many angles has been clear: If we can't harvest them, the season should be closed. My opinion is much of this sentiment is simple resentment from OP locals, but still, the WDFW has indeed followed this concept in the past. My guess is the Feds would just as soon see all rivers closed to fishing if any species listed as ESA Threatened are present, no matter the specific watershed conditions. This came up in the Dickson Editorial thread for those who read it. We need to be aware of all the complex political issues that could bite sport opportunity in the butt- and this reg should serve as a great case study. Proceed with caution. I advocate steelhead release for the benefit of sport fishing. Yes I want to see the species return to former levels, but if I can't fish anymore in the process, I doubt my energy will be there, and many others, and then the legacy of fly fishing steelhead will be gone, forever.

I'm very disappointed in Forks' response to this issue, but not at all surprised. I hope the new process reflects the same outcome, but I hope we make sure to show the motivation as economically and sport friendly to the OP. If not, the ultimate outcome is clear- with no conservation measures, we are counting the days. With that in mind, I'll be on the OP, getting all I can, bloody as anyone, since the outcome is predetermined. If my tax dollars are supporting the killing, I'm gonna get mine while the gettin's good. And I'll take all my friends, and we'll kill all the steelhead we can, just as the Fork's Chamber of Commerce wishes us to do. Either way, when the steelhead are run into oblivion, my tax dollars will be supporting the community out there, until they can actually plan and execute a viable economic strategy for the future. I feel deeply sorry for those locals who can't see the upside. Time will tell...

8. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

Warm up the bus!:smokin

9. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    What if WSC changed tactics and pushed for C&R on only the rivers that remain open to wild steelhead kill? This angle would take the wind out of the "blanket reg" argument but accomplish the same goal. The science supports it! Let's get down and dirty politics. Getting beat by City of Forks is embarrassing. Steelhead have C&R in almost every river, let's look at the few left and take them on one at a time? This will set a better precedent as well. The rivers do not belong to the Forks City Council.

10. Brian Simonseth

Brian Simonseth Banned or Parked

Hey does any one now of a good camp ground down in Olympia?
    Looks like I’ll be down there a lot with my trailer.
    :beathead

11. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    IT SEEMS TO ME THAT FORKS IS GOING TO LOSE ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. IF THEY WIN NOW, THEY'LL LOSE LATER WHEN THERE ARE NO WILD STEELHEAD LEFT. THEY SHOULD TAKE THE LOSS NOW SO THAT THEY HAVE A POTENTIAL BUSINESS IN THE FUTURE. BUT PERSONALLY I'M MORE INTERESTED IN THE FISH.