Running Line Preferences?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by HauntedByWaters, Dec 2, 2008.

1. HauntedByWaters Active Member

Bellingham
    Ratings: +103 / 0
    Just wondering what you guys are currently prefering and what your input is.

There are a lot of very different materials and styles with running lines these days.

What is your choice?
  2. Big Tuna Member

Wenatchee, Washington
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Airflo Ridgeline...pretty slick, no problems w/ tangles, and it doesn't have much memory.
  3. Aaron O'Leary The Theory

Ellensburg
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I agree, the Ridgeline is good and also miracle braid. It is easier to get tangles with the miracle braid, but it shoots really well. I think you will be happy with either one.
  4. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,565 / 0
    I prefer lines that have their own running line. That way no splices, no muss, no fuss.

Sg
  5. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    iagree hard to beat the orange colored ridge.
  6. SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Roy, WA
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Guideline LRL+....same same as Airflow I'm told
    I also have the .030 Rio with the mono core, shoots OK but can't weld a loop in it to save my life so I'm stuck with a clunky knot. Till I get it figured out.
    you know G, using welded loops with shooter systems makes life really nice...very different than when I was using knots, splices, etc.
    I can fish shooting head/running line systems now without Tourette's episodes...:D
  7. sothereiwas Member

Issaquah, WA
    Airflo Ridge 30lb in winter. Amnesia 25lb in the summer
  8. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,726 / 0
    Rio Powerflex Core .030
  9. Keaten LaBrel Formerly Tyinbugs

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    SA Sharkskin..can't beat it for shootability and mendability
  10. nutsack angler newb

Dedmonds, WA
    Ratings: +36 / 0
    GL shooter- the colder it gets, the more difficult it becomes to handle...
  11. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    The Airflow Rideline 30 pound is the best I have used and it does not sound like sandpaper running through the guides.
  12. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    Airflo Ridge 30# because with it a spey cast still goes as far as you need it to
  13. TrevorH Active Member

Bellingham, WA, US.
    Ratings: +32 / 0
    I like 35# slickshooter during the summertime, especially on light tackle. During the winter, on heavier stuff I like the Airflo miracle braid. I have some sharkskin too, which handles better than most, but I wouldn't recommend it for multi-day trips, unless you don't mind taping your fingers. The miracle braid is rated for 50# or something, and because it's multi strand, I don't worry much about losing a head if I cleat the line and/or wrap my sink tip around something. The only pvc line I've used was Rio's, which I wasn't real happy with.
  14. chromeseeker Where's the Bucket?

Your City ,State Vancouver, WA
    30lb Dacron backing. But I'm old school....

CS
  15. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    monic 50 lb it has a braid core + 0 stretch
  16. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    i have monic on one of my sticks, do you find it to be tangly? im not sold on it yet, but does shoot like a mofo.
  17. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I'll throw in another vote for the Airflo Ridge 30 pound, I also use the Guideline LRL and like it alot. can't go wrong with either. :beer2:
  18. Mulligan Stephen Mull

Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    I loved the monic (thanks Joe) until it got all gunked up. It shot so well and felt great. It didn't have a very long life on the reel though, because it seemed to disintegrate and get real thin. When that happened (it was very apparent), I started getting horrendous tangles.

I dig the Ridge Runner so far. Didn't much care for the RIO Slick Shooter I had before these two.
  19. poirierpro Member

Spokane, WA
    I use miracle braid...sounds like Sharkskin but I like it.
  20. Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Twin Bridges, MT
    my monic is tanking as well, zelk recommended it to me, and said you need to religously clean it. not being much for religion or line cleaning it fell apart. oh well, time to flip it around.