Running Line

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by underachiever, May 25, 2014.

1. Until today I'd always used Airflo's Ridge for my running line and I've never really had any gripes with it. Over the winter I'd picked up some Varivas Airs and put it on the reel I use on my 6wt for summers. Today was the first day I've put it to use and I was really surprised at the difference it made in my casting. I mean, I still suck and nobody is gonna stop what they're doing to check out my sweet casting but the difference in distance was noticeable. Not to mention, I totally caught a steelhead, and that rarely happens.

2. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

I am happy for you success on an iron head...and your find for a tool that works for you.

3. Varivas is great stuff. I switched all my running lines over 4 years ago. I really like it with my smaller lighter sticks.

4. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

congratulations on your catch, underachiever.
    I like varivas aire too, just picked up another spool last week. For about 40 bucks I can put shooting line onto either three big sticks or maybe 5 little ones. Very cost effective, shoots like a raped ape, and makes a cool zipping sound when it comes off the water!

Most competition spey casters are using it now.

But don't step on it, especially with cleats. With mono shooting line it makes good sense to inspect the line every now and again to avoid losing a head.

5. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I was a coated running line guy for a long time (powerflex and that airflo one). This year I switched to Rio's gripshooter and I really like it. It shoots farther and I really like that you can have huge loops in the water and it doesn't seem to effect its shootability at all. I think my loops might be a bit tighter to, but it's not like that really matter. And I was surprised that it isn't any more difficult to handle or that it tangles any more that coated running lines. It does slip through your fingers sometimes and thats definitely annoying.

CLO likes this.
  6. docstash

docstash Member

OPST has some new mono out that is very nice.

Craig
    @redsflyshop.com

7. Rio Connectcore all dam day, i have tried retard amounts of mono and despise airflo running line, but the connectcore is the business

8. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

40# berkley big game, solar green is my fav..$1.86 per reel..Casts a
    bazillion miles... I have NO GRIPES ABOUT IT WHAT SO EVER..

9. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I just saw someone mention it on a different site. I'm curious what makes it nice, particularly in comparison to Varivas. Care to share your thoughts?

10. docstash

docstash Member

The OPST has no memory. I have been using slick shooter and then Frog hair. Seems to be slicker than Frog Hair. Floats better than slick shooter with the oval shape that in certain backwash current dives like crazy. Still testing it in the front seat of the Corolla at the shop baking in the heat, coffee is still hot when I go home. Used it with a Scandi Short head Intermediate and intermediate versileader over head with 5116-4 and at least 30% more distance than an outbound Int. full line, one back and go cast. Built for Ed Ward and Jerry French. Supposed to be UV resistant. Come to the shop to demo or call.

Craig
    @redsflyshop.com

11. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

Craig, will Reds start selling Pure Skagit Lazar Line any time soon? It does sound interessting.

12. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy Banned or Parked

you could do ~33 reels of solar collector for the price of the fancy OPST stuff for 1 reel, just saying........

13. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I switched to Monic last year and immediately noticed a difference in distance. Never tried Varivas, but everyone seems to like it.

14. Varivas isn't cheap either. Fortunately I picked up two spools for $15 off speypages. When it comes time for new running line I'll try out the Berkeley big game first.

15. rustybee

rustybee Active Member

Lots of hype about Varivas Airs within my circle of friends. Me? I'm happy with my Berkley Big Game. Best $ for money IMHO.

16. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Do you tie this to backing, or do you just skip the backing?

17. jake-e-boy

I guess you could skip the backing, but I use backing on all my reels with solar collector

18. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Do you use an Albright to connect them?

19. jake-e-boy

yes sir

20. danimal

danimal Inglorious Twohander

Tie an albright as already stated or just make a surgeons loop on both ends of a 120ft section of shooter and same loop on the backing..