Running Line

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by underachiever, May 25, 2014.

1. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Pretty sure Ed Ward and Jerry French the designers of the Lazar line have use a lot more than Solar Collector as running lines in the past. Back to back nail knots will slide together backing to running line very neatly. I just tie a clinch to the loop of the head and then cut the clinch when changing, can't even tell the knot is there except for the loop. Of course I have several reels loaded with Cajun Red for running line.

Craig
    @redsflyshop.com
  2. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Ratings: +206 / 0
    do you use that for skagit heads on big rods or mainly just smaller scandi/switch heads? How does it compare to solar collector?

Thanks
  3. docstash Member

selah, wa.
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    Yes, I am a fan of mono running lines, and not fly line running lines so, on all my rods. I have a nasty habit of cutting heads off single handed WF lines and using running lines for lakes. Also on big guns on OP in winter. Never had a problem in colder weather holding the running line.

Craig
    @redsflyshop.com
  4. Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +307 / 0
    And this is why I hate casting your rods! :D

I am in the other camp. While I agree, a person can probably cast further with mono, I'd still much rather handle a nice fly running line all day. Besides, the rivers we fish don't require super-duper casting distances.

Side note, I think distance has more to do with how well you manage the running line during the cast.
  5. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +989 / 0
    I tried varivas and really started to like it once I got hte hang of it. Problem is that it sometimes slips thru the side of my reel. I was using the 30lb, I'll probably get some of the 47 pound or w/e it is.
  6. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +466 / 1
    Mono isn't all about distance. It's exponentially cheaper, easy to repair/replace on the river, takes up less space on the reel, is stronger and with lighter heads you get tighter loops which helps those little rods perform in the wind. The thinner mono doesn't act like a sail in the wind while you're trying to keep that delicate grease line swing creeping across the tailout. I don't care how "good" any Fancy running line performs a big spool of big game is $10.
  7. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +435 / 0
    Not to mention, when I give up on fly fishing I'll have some mono around to throw on my bait chuckers.
    jake-e-boy likes this.
  8. Cody Bitterman New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    I have spent the past few weeks trying to figure out what setup to run on my 14'' 9/10, and I think I am gonna try some Berkeley, but this rig is for wild peninsula and Canada steelhead and kings so I'm thinking 40lb might be just a little under what I want to run.

I'm not positive what line I have on, I think it's probably an old rio setup since that's what the head and tips are, but it is not working for me. The guy who gifted me the rod is waaay bigger than I am, and I think the head is too long for me to handle.
  9. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Skagit & 40 # solar collector will be just fine for any salminoids you encounter in wa and/or Canada, what rod you using? (To give estimate on weight of skagit heads to try)
  10. Cody Bitterman New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    It's a St. Croix imperial
  11. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Sorry should have specified, what wt and length?
  12. Klickrolf Active Member

Klickitat, Washington
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    14' 9/10wt made in Park Falls Wisc. Good rods, old tech but good rods.

Keep trying it with the line you have. I'll bet it'll work and you might end up thinking longer heads are less trouble than short ones. I wouldn't use mono backing but it appears others do.
    Blake Harmon likes this.
  13. jake-e-boy Active Member

Kennewick
    Uh oh, not the shooting head vs long belly argument... Get a skagit intermediate and some mono for the least troublesome setup possible and the slowest swing