running lines for compacts

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Sean Beauchamp, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    I don't know how you guys can handle mono running line. Distance is the least important factor in two-hand fishing. Comfort and line management being paramount. Stripping 50 ft of amnesia on a compact sounds like torture.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,619 / 0
    I pretty much agree with Pan. I like to cast with fly line when I fly fish.

Sg
  3. James Waggoner Active Member

wa
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    For twelve feet of line why hold loops? Besides, small loops are prone to tangle. You should be able to shoot fifteen to twenty feet without holding loops.

As for the comments on mono, they don't tangle anymore than the others. They are harder to hold on to and mend at long range but with the long rod it's not that bad. Varivas is a great choice.
  4. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I like the old Guideline running line I have, can't remember the name at the moment. For Skagit lines in particular, I like a thicker running line that I can hold on a cold winter day! Airflo and Rio running lines are good and I have them both and mono on a few reels. I like mono for Scandi lines or use the smaller diameter running lines.

As far as tangling with your running line, stretch it out and learn to manage your line with loops. Start with a long loop, and smaller loops as you put them inside the bigger loops. I usually have two loops, three at most for me at least.

The real solution for me is to use a longer line (head) on what you like to cast... I find my CND GPS 7/8 on my Solstice casts tips great if I shorten up the amount of line out of the tip and shoot more of the line. I don't know the exact amount, but figure out the sweet spot for the tip and fly I'm using and can cast a big fly with the right leader on this line. I use Skagit lines when I need too, but find my preference is for a Scandi line or a mid or long belly line when I use my bigger rods.
  5. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I like the old Guideline running line I have, can't remember the name at the moment. For Skagit lines in particular, I like a thicker running line that I can hold on a cold winter day! Airflo and Rio running lines are good and I have them both and mono on a few reels. I like mono for Scandi lines or use the smaller diameter running lines.

As far as tangling with your running line, stretch it out and learn to manage your line with loops. Start with a long loop, and smaller loops as you put them inside the bigger loops. I usually have two loops, three at most for me at least.

The real solution for me is to use a longer line (head) on what you like to cast... I find my CND GPS 7/8 on my Solstice casts tips great if I shorten up the amount of line out of the tip and shoot more of the line. I don't know the exact amount, but figure out the sweet spot for the tip and fly I'm using and can cast a big fly with the right leader on this line. I use Skagit lines when I need too, but find my preference is for a Scandi line or a mid or long belly line when I use my bigger rods.
  6. Thomas Mitchell Active Member

Western, WA
    Ratings: +187 / 2
    Same here. I really like the Monic coated gelspun, nice visibility, low stretch, shoots well, etc. I've got the .30 on my 8/9 & 6/7 but use the .24 on the 3wt troutspey. Never tried mono, just looked like a mess waiting to happen with a CF like me...

7. golfman65 Guest

Ratings: +5 / 0
    I agree with you James, the more you use mono, the better it becomes...Different brands tangle more right off the spool but they stretch out pretty quick and are easy to shoot big distance...I just got tired of the cold water or weather and the loops slipping on casts or in your hand..

Looks like the one big river, where big sticks and long casts could benefit from using it is not going to open again anytime soon...So my spool of varivas will just have to sit for awhile longer...

Just as an off the cuff remark, the guy who turned me on to the different mono's uses them as he is a distance caster..Beginning spey casting it always impressed me seeing some guys who could bomb it across the rivers we fished.. not having learned the skill level to cast like that, mono added a good 10-15' to my casts...As I got better it became more of a game.. throwing big casts was fun when nothing else was happening...The distance guys use mono exclusively with their shooting heads so I just got used to using it as well..

I've gotten to the point where my skill level is better, I'm still learning like everyone else but got enough years now that I have a semblance of what the stroke should look like for the heads I fish...I've found that the .030 rio will still let me cast a long way when I'm bored or trying out a new rod...but I like how it handles for fishing which is more important to me now then casting....

I've heard it stages some of us go through....It's just taken me longer then others to realize that being able to cast 130' only means I can cast that distance and nothing else...Back to fishing and trying to actually catch something means reading water, presenting the fly properly and NOT casting over all the fish...Funny, I guess no one told the big fish they should only bite the farthest cast flies?
  8. Merle Not New, Just rarely post...

Black Diamond, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    One more vote for the Rio Powerflex in .030" Green (coldwater). I tried the .024" first but just couldn't get used to the feel of the smaller diameter, as I always carry a loop of line pinched against the cork. As mentioned by others this isn't the top line for distance shooting, but it's still a lot better than what you get with an integrated flyline.

I also tried the Airflo Miracle Braid, which did shoot amazingly, but again, it just didn't feel right for me. It almost felt like just using Dacron backing. (It also makes a bit of racket as it slides through the guides.)
  9. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    Thanks for the input guys bought the .030 powerflex and also gonna try out mono and see how I feel about it. Work is gettin crazy again hopefully make it out next weekend.
  10. constructeur Active Member

Seattle, Wa
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Sean- For mono, I dig on the Rio Slickshooter. I tried the 35lb out at first but it's so small I was always slipping and dropping the line, especially on those 42 degree and raining type days. I bought some of the 50lb for the MX trip, and use it now. Shit is huge! and ya gotta stretch it, but for $10it's a winner.
  11. slugthug Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    I agree with T. SLICKSHOOTER is the ticket after a proper stretching prior to initial use, and after any period of storage >= 1 month. I prefer the 35lb......

E
  12. James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Tacoma
    Ratings: +88 / 0
    It's where the fish are, and unfortunately the payload dictates the use of skagit...
  13. LBC nymphing beads with a spey pole.

BFE
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    If you use mono, don't most guys use like 13-16' or the length of the rod of an old ridge or coated running line solely for handling purposes? I would think that would be the way to go if you have problems holding it. ive never tried it, but i have been told that helps alot... you still get all the distance and handling. just a thought.
  14. Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Shoreline, WA, U.S.
    Ratings: +467 / 1
    That's interesting but I'm not too keen on adding another knot/junction to the setup I stress out enough with a steelhead hooked up. Fly, leader, butt section, sink tip, running line, backing.... Shit!
  15. Ian Broadie Flyfishing is so "Metal"

Kirkland, Washington
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    I tried that and actually found it to be more hassle than it was worth because of the extra junctions.
  16. Panhandle Active Member

Selkirk Mountains, Idaho Panhandle
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    James, I don't get your response.