Runnining line? Amnesia?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Pedro J Figueroa, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Pedro J Figueroa

Pedro J Figueroa New Member

Hi i need some help/advice about running line on my new spey outfit, I have a skagit 600gr head and I got the Amnesia as a running line because was cheap, but now im hesitating a lil. Has anyone use Amnesia as a running/shooting line before? or what running line u guys can suggest me. Thanks in advance any help will be greatly appreciate. Tight lines

Semper Fidelis

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

I've never used Amnesia. But I'm hardly the most experienced spey guy.

My friends (and many folks on speypages) are real high on Miracle Braid, so I got that. Some people are annoyed at the sound it makes in the guides or the roughness on cold hands, but that stuff doesn't bother me. I have Slick Shooter on my trout/switch spey, for whatever that is worth.

3. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

I was introduced to Amnesia, as a shooting/running line, a few years back by Brian (K2flyfisher). It is all I use now for summer and winter. 30# red.

4. Pedro J Figueroa

Thanks Josh and TallFlyGuy for the advice, and TallFlyGuy thats what I got on my reel right now 30# Amnesia Red. I was worry about the casting and the Amnesia cutting the shooting head loop under tension. I have the both attach with a loop to loop connection because the line already come with a welded loop. Thanks again for the advice

5. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

I just put a big loop in the amnesia and use it loop to loop as well. I simply put a loop knot on the end of my amnesia, similar to the one in the vid, :). Super ass strong.

Pedro J Figueroa likes this.
  6. Pedro J Figueroa

Cool TallFlyGuy thanks

7. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Loop to loop as never been an issue for me. And I like Amnesia as well, use it with confidence.

Pedro J Figueroa likes this.
  8. Pedro J Figueroa

Thanks Luke u guys give me the confidence so I'll be using my Spey outfit for first time tomorrow at blue creek in the Cowlitz river and maybe the Kalama River too, then in the weekend at the Hoh and Sol Duc River. Thanks everyone

9. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Amnesia 30# is all I've been running last couple seasons and couldn't be happier.... Unless all the local shops would carry it on the shelf. Always carry a spare spool on you and change her out if it gets conpromised. I stepped on mine in studded boots and cut right through it, was thankful I had a spool in my waist pack. Every time I cast someone elses setup that utilizes actual Spey running line it blows me away. Mono is much easier handling and a pleasure to fish IMHO. Doubtful ill ever find a need to go back.

10. Sean Beauchamp

Sean Beauchamp Hot and Heavy at yer 6

Oh and I use a non slip mono loop on either end, 4 wraps and never had one fail on fish or snag. Double surgeons for the backing and factory loops or braided loops for shooting heads. Works great.

11. Pedro J Figueroa

Thanks for the info Sean

12. Achilles

Achilles Member

Amnesia is great. Another good cheap option is 40lb Berkley Big Game. It's an excellent running line - lots of folks in BC and WA use the stuff.

Wadecalvin likes this.
  13. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Varivas shoots really, really well but I just switched my worn out Varivas for Berkley Big game to save money this time around.

14. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

I heard some business about Amnesia not being made anymore, not sure about that.
    The SA floating mono is the business, the Rio slickshooter is another alternative

15. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

+1 on Rio slickshooter.

16. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

I like the airflo miracle braid a lot better than the slickshooter. It's a lot easier to strip

17. The only thing I don't like about amnesia is that it bleeds into the backing. Great stuff for the money though!

18. Pedro J Figueroa

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate all the advice

19. Dave Evans

Dave Evans Active Member

I use ELF on both of my spey reels. I bought a rod from Meiser and also purchased the Godshall line for it and that is what they were using. It worked very well so put it on my second reel.

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Ahhhhhh, a Meiser rod with a Godshall line .... Marriage made in Heaven.
    :>)