Runnining line? Amnesia?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Pedro J Figueroa, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

I use 30 lb. Amnesia on two spey reels. It doesn't unkink after hand-stretching as well as advertised, but I get by. It works well with a medium weight head. However, when pared with a 750 grain skagit head, it feels like walking a large, energetic dog with a thin string for a leash. For heavier heads, I prefer substantial coated running line, even if it doesn't shoot quite as well.

2. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

I use amnesia a lot for single hand shooting heads, like surf casting stuff. Tried it for Spey but didn't like it. Felt like bungee cord and didn't like the way my loops sank when standing in slow water. Found miracle braid and have never looked back.

BUT, to each their own..

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Take this for what it's worth...as you got it on there..use it

I have tried and used every mono running line out there..why? because I thought casting it the extra ten feet mono can give you was important..which it is in a casting competition...but not so much for fishing..

I have broken every mono running line I have fished...whether stepping on it..kinks in the line...worn out..started to split...or just plain snapped when brand new...

I switched back to a thinner normal 30# type running line...it mends better, controls the head better and fishes better IMHO...

I leave the mono for the SOR guys now...but since you got it already might as well fish it till you find something else...

sashjo, inland and Steffan Brown like this.
  4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Good observation G65. 'People' have this ingrained idea that if you can't cast a 2-hander 150++ feet you're a 'failure.' What Total Tosh.

Fishing for Atlantics, on some rivers, HUGE casts may very well be the name of the gamegiven the fish. Here with Salmon and Steelhead? Not really on our rivers. The number of 'them' I've hooked over 100 foot from me I could probably count on the fingers of one hand. And more likely they hooked themselves.

I can live with that.
    ;>)

5. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

i switched to SA floating mono last year and will never look back. it is more of a oval shape so you can maintain a good solid grip while casting. As long as you give it a good stretch it is almost tangle free.
    just saying.
    john

6. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Jesse...everyone loves mono until it snaps for no apparent reason (which likely means you didn't check that spot) and your head flies off down river...

Kind of like democrats are all just republicans who haven't been mugged...

here's a typical scenario...happened to me last weekend...Fishing a run that finally has the sun off it..thinking might have a chance at a wild steelie in there....but my rod tip breaks...(must have mono in it) My bud behind me now has the whole run to himself...I cross back over at the tailout to my truck to get another rod....stringing it up I hear him come up through the bush...I ask him what the hell he is doing? Why leave such a prime run? He say's the run is cursed...his mono snapped and his head is now wrapped around a big boulder in the middle of the river that most of the fish hang around...

We get wet dicked but got the line back eventually...but no fish would have stayed after our recovery...

He will tell you he loves mono as well and will only use it...that's the third time he's launched his head down river .....I just shake my head...bad enough a rod breaks or such...but when something busts more then once on me and gets to the point that I have to pack a back up spool....i'm done with it...others still love the shit though...

7. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Hmmm, I guess I am just extremely lucky. I've been using the same $5 spool of amnesia for winter and summer (cut the spool in half and use it on two reels), for well over a year and not had one break. I also have friends use it quite a bit and have not heard of any breakage issues as well. Jane says... I'm living on the wild side :)

8. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

I have a love hate with the stuff, but find it on most of my reels and spools. I hate the diameter and how it sometimes slips through my fingers when shooting line, but like to throw wedges, so its fine with me. You just cannot beat the price! The only time I ever had it break was while using it for leaders butts while nymphing. I do not bother anymore with it for that purpose.

yuhina likes this.
  9. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Good points Mike.
    Same here... I hate it when slipping through fingers, but it is hard to beat the performance/cost ratio. I have been told by Ed that wrapping some rubber on the front cork will reduce this incidence. For lighter skagit heads (below 400 grain), I think mono is good and have good control. But for heavier head, (above 450 grain). I like to switch back to flyline type of running line (ex. Airflo ridge 30lb) to add a little bit more friction to the running line. Heavy head generate enough momentum to pull it though the guides and I get better line control part.

10. inland

inland Active Member

It depends on where you fish.

The number of steelhead I have hooked with a 100' cast (talking about 100'+ perpendicular to my wading position, not at any point in the swing where a much shorter cast would also likely score) anywhere in oregon and washington? Maybe two hands worth of fingers for counting purposes. All of these have been winter steelhead on BIG WATER. Otherwise the water just doesn't usually call for it.

The number of steelhead I have hooked on big summer water at well past 100'? 30-40% of all fish I get are beyond this distance.

It depends...

11. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

inland, You are just 100% Bad Ass!!!

12. inland

inland Active Member

Justin,

You are too!!! You still owe me a lesson?

13. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

fist of all, if i was worried about losing, braking gear i would just stay home and knit. Sure it pisses me off when I have to replce something, but isn't that cost of doing biddness.
    the pros of fishing mono out weigh the cons. Castablity, line control, less water pick up while stripping (dry hands all day in january frigging priceless). So maybe, just maybe I lose a head. Somebody has to keep the fly shop going.

14. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Jane says....your just cheap...:)
    Hell I even switch the powerflex line more then that...

but cheap ain't bad if you don't mind it...the more expensive ones seemed to fail first..varivas has been brutal for some unknown reason for my buddy...I had the guideline hollow and thought it was great but snapped that with one step and had it go spaghetti on me on another, which is really weird to see a line basically split in sections on you...Didn't mind slickshooter of all of um..but that's a love hate with people too..

William, Your a lucky man to get those fish out past the 100' mark...I have only hooked a couple that far out and have heard they can be either hot fish or duds..( i.e. sulking T. fish) I was lucky and mine were hot...and those always stand out in your mind as the attack and blistering runs were amazing...my favorite spot to hook a fish...but not as often as you...:)

15. Zeb Stadler

Zeb Stadler Member

Amnesia is totally fine, I used that and slickshooter when I was starting out. It will coil on you a little which might drive you crazy. personal preference will vary but i'm into the Guideline compline right now for everything other than winter, its fast and doesn't coil too badly. in winter i like the feeling of something thicker like Airflo ridgeline. which some people will say doesn't shoot quite as well, and they would be right, but for almost all situations it's really great and it floats and doesn't coil which, if your new to casting is kind of nice. bottom line and an end to my rambling i would try what you have and if you start getting frustrated try the ridge.

16. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher its taco time. wheres the sauce?

i like amnesia. red 30 in particular as its easiest to see and contrasts most shooting heads.

like Mac mentioned above, i also use it for the majority of my summer setups, and for a long time used it year round, but what caused me to change in the winter were two factors- 1. in colder weather, mono seems to have a harder time staying straight after being stretched 2. even with fingerless wool gloves, it can be hard to hold on to, not to mention the heavier skagit heads im throwing most of the winter elicit the large energetic dog/thin leash feel (great analogy Mac), so in colder weather, i switch to SA's coated .030 monocore or .031 shooting lines.

i still feel that for 5 bucks or so, i have yet to find a (truly) better solution for small flies and dry lines in the summer. ive even taken old deltas, powerspeys, windcutters, etc. and chopped them into shooting heads, which, after very close inspection on video, come to my own conclusion that mono runners can play a part in changing the loop shape of said lines (that was part of the hypothesis that sparked the experimentation in the first place).

*knock on wood*, i also have yet to have any issues with (solid core) mono runners, as the varivas/airs, sa hollow mono lines i have used are all now sitting on spools for various reasons, but primarily the durability of a hollow core mono is inferior to the solid core. one kink and its toast. or just annoying by way of a thousand paper cuts. not to mention the price is 600% more than amnesia. as mentioned above, i can see the advantage of it for speyorama when shooting line from standing water is advantageous...however, im seldom ever in those conditions.

SSPey likes this.
  17. SSPey

SSPey Member

Amnesia? SA shooting lines? Who the hell uses those brands anymore? All you shooting line nuts should pay close attention to every sentence of what Brian posted above ...

18. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Love Amnesia or mono in general, solid or hollow...yes it slips sometimes, but not often enough to care. Sure it sinks but it pulls from the water fairly easy. Stretch it soak it? Never felt the need to, it always seems to work itself out after a few casts. Does it stretch? Sure does but like anything you learn to deal with it. Whatever type you cast you should be careful not to walk on it. Wether its PVC or mono a carbide cleat is going to damage it, but it is more economical to walk on mono. Also, repair is as simple as it gets. Damage usually occurs in the first 10' or so, just cut off and reloop. For that reason alone I always set up my reels initially with about 125' of mono.

Only one running line I would never buy again...coated mono! The worst of both and expensive.

Of course the above comment/opinion applies to my type of fishing/casting...swinging or stripping for salmon & steelhead with the two handed rod.

James.

19. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

I've used a lot of different stuff for running lines. My all time favorite is Monic. It is a coated GPS, available in .024, .030, & .038 Ø, all sizes being 72 lb test. It shoots well, doesn't often tangle, and if it does, just fish out the cast anyway. At 72 lb test, I am not worried about it breaking in the middle of a fight with a good fish! Plus. it is zero stretch, so you feel everything from the lightest take to the fly sliding over structure, everything! It is a little pricey, but I've gotten two years and counting of hard use from mine. No nicks, rough spots, nothing, good as new. The only negative I've heard about it is that it tends to get a little "gummy" in warm water. Since the rivers I fish never get above 60° I have yet to experience any degradation in performance or handling characteristics.

I should add, my type of fishing is swinging, shooting heads.

20. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Yeah, that's an interesting point K2...I've also found that with quite a few of the lines I've chopped into heads, mono has been the difference between a tight loop and an open one...mostly on lighter lines though and I have often wondered if that meant I chopped it in the wrong spot?
    Would say especially with delta's and when nextcast didn't make just the head like they do now...I screwed up a few of their lines chopping off that god aweful running line they used...

One thing I noticed when I went back to the powercoil or such type running line was I liked the control it gave me over the head much better...I can lift it and keep the line in the right configuration much better then with mono...and since I pretty much only grease line that became a big factor..

interesting stuff