NFR Rural life, new people and dogs

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Trustfunder, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

Does this shit happen to anyone else but me? I live 20 some miles outside a town and city folks or new residence show up to do there outdoor activities like jogging, birdwatching whatever the hell they do in the middle of winter... Anyway, lately I've been getting some dirty looks/frank conversations by people who think my dogs should be on a leash while driving around on a public road. I've done this for years, dogs run,I drive my car.. it's never been a big deal, the dogs are friendly and typically don't cause problems.

However, these encounters with so called winter enthusiast visitors have been a little contentious at times.. the words are you should leash your dogs... my rebuttal is you should go back to town . I say a dog is borne to explore and run, that's part of life, when they get in trouble maybe I can save them, maybe not but the dog who listens know's where the car is... must be just me. I'll continue and try not to get off topic...These not so friendly folk act like I'm putting my dogs at risk for getting attacked/harassing wildlife or run over by me la did da da da... I tell them they've been doing this for years. It's gotten to the point where I feel my ways are out dated and a "true/good" dog owner should take better care type feeling. Well call me biased but I think my dogs are happy as clams and lucky to live outside of a dog enforcement society.

My point is..I have no problem leashing my dogs in the city environment, my neighbors have no problems with my dogs unleashed, BUT when a person steps outside the city/town they expect me to adhere to the rules that is governed to them on sidewalks... I disagree. I say I don't force your ways just to please your judgement of animal control in an urban environment... why the hell do you deserve the right to do it to me? There's inherent dangers to running walking around in a rural setting, a few loose dogs that can be called back aren't one of them to wast your breath on. I understand the point of vicious dogs and the harm that may be done as I've been there, it's terrifying, I get it, but if I call my dogs back to the truck once I see a worried look in an eye... isn't that the same deal as being on a leash in the city?

dfl and Bob Rankin like this.
  2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

No.you're an idiot.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Josh Johns and Dan Cuomo like this.
  3. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Media:
    I think it is possible that these people are looking out for your animals, and you included. Could there be some jerks that do not deliver the message in a diplomatic manor? Sure. However, going about your said ways really opens you up for too many problems that I am willing to list. Do what you want to though its your right. However, there are a lot of things that I have the god given right to do also. But, I also have the common sense NOT to do most of them.

4. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

If your dog's mind you and are well behaved, I say continue doing what you doing maybe offer to put them on a leash, or mind there own Damn business:)

Trustfunder likes this.
  5. Trustfunder

Trustfunder Active Member

I should say that this is a dirt road that leads to a dead end and those who don't live in the county/state tax system seem to hold judgement on the way I run my dogs. For those athletic types from Mercer Island... I'm sorry I don't own a leash, dress like Usain Bolt and have a flashy pair of Nike shoes. Yep I'm an idiot!

Bill Aubrey and Alex MacDonald like this.
  6. Bob Rankin

Bob Rankin Chasing fur and fish every second I get :)

I meant offer to Put the joggers on a leash.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  7. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

Kids and dogs should be kept on leashes when in public.

Kyle Smith likes this.
  8. rory

rory Go Outside

Home Page:
    I prefer to keep my dog off leash. He is well behaved. However, when I have gotten a ticket for having him off leash, I wasn't surprised. I was breaking the law. Most people are scared to have a decent conversation anymore. Maybe the anonymity of the internet and a username that implies having enough money to not need to work like the rest of us makes people feel threatened.

9. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Maybe all the "new people" should be put on a leash - at least when they're out in public.
    Would that help solve Trustfunder's dogs running loose problem?
    Oh, and I have family from Mercer Island, including my mother (years before the bridges - they had to take the ferry) - but they never dressed like Usain Bolt. Fact is, I don't recall them wearing Nikes either.

Alex MacDonald and Kent Lufkin like this.
  10. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

I have a friend I stay with in La grande Oregon that lives in the small city and takes his dogs out of town to run next to his truck, I have no problem with it!

Then when he gets up and opens the back door they all three take off through the streets and shit everywhere else but his yard, now this I have a problem with. They have been brought back a couple times by the "dog wagon" and he has been warned and he thinks it's bull-sgit and that his dogs should be able to run town and do what they want every morning!

I live in a dead end street manufactured home setting with about 12 homes. One old lady kept walking her three ankle bitters down our little road letting them shit and piss all over everyone else's yards so she didn't have to pick the crap up - I call this bullshit and so did everyone else.

If your just exercising your dogs I see nothing wrong - If you do it so you don't have to clean up after them - well your an ass - HA

In our city if the dog isn't leased in to the back of the truck while driving they can actually take your dog out of your truck and give you a ticket and they take your dog to the pound! just for having him in the back of your truck not tethered in. It's a whole different world out there then what I grew up in!

My 90 pound lab is not fixed and is the nicest dog you could ever meet but the truth is mother nature will tell him to dominate other dogs, I keep him on a leash always in public or around any houses for his own safety and the safety of any other person or dog.

dryflylarry and PT like this.
  11. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Media:
    If you are legal, it is up to you. Even out of town around here, it is illegal to let an animal run loose. I imagine some counties allow it, so it's legit. However, if its illegal to let a dog run off your property without a leash, I'd side with the person tired of wondering if your dog will chew on them.

I have had three kids bitten by three different dogs that are "nice" and "would never bite anyone." Dogs are predators, and things like jogging and riding bikes can definitely trip a dogs chase trigger. Novel things in their environment are another trigger. My big white monster had a thing for bike riders, and would nip at their feet for MILES. He used to corner an old man who walked by the farm too. He never bit anyone, but I figured it was a matter of time. We have tighter controls on him now.

I'm back in town, and as a "townie" I would say I have as much right to use public roads and places as anyone else. And maybe without someones dog trying to take a bite out of my rather plus sized ass. That being said, I've never been bitten, or all that seriously worried about it.

12. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I see that your in Montana. As far as I know there is no leash law in this state. I see many dogs in Dillon that are not leashed up and they all seem friendly. But they are all collared up and have tags on them.. I don't think that I have met an angry dogs as long as I have lived here.

Bob Rankin and freestoneangler like this.
  13. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I think you allow city folks to rent to much space in your head.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Trustfunder,

Newsflash! Trustfunders are no more entitled than anyone else. Doesn't matter if your road is paved, gravel, or dirt. If it's a public road, then it's public, and the public can walk, jog, ride bikes, or walk their own dogs on and along it. Your dogs are your responsibility, and when they are off your property, they better be under your immediate control. If not, and if one of your dogs harasses or threatens one of those city folk who you don't seem to have much hankerin' for may just up and shoot said dog, perfectly legal like, and all. It's up to you. Enjoy your trustfund.

Sg

Travis Bille likes this.
  15. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

What Salmo_g said. Absolutely, regardless how far in the sticks you are. I usually carry a large extremely sharp knife on walks. I'm not anxious to use it but I wouldn't hesitate to, city or country. I've been harassed by dogs and it's no fun. I won't let it happen again.

16. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    I love to let my dog run loose, but also understand the need for having him on a leash. All it takes is once for your dog to take a bite out of some passer-by and you're up shit creek and can't row. Be a responsible dog owner and people will leave you alone. It doesn't matter if there's a law against it or not, if people feel uncomfortable because of your roaming dogs, be a good citizen and leash em up! The alternative could be a dead dog because they would be completely justified in smoking "fido" if he showed signs of aggression in or out of your presence.

--Signed, K9 trainer/handler

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  17. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    It's been said that dogs tend to mirror the personalities of their owners. If that's even partly true, then the dog of a person who's suspicious of others, especially those from somewhere else or who look or act different, might be a bit more likely to act aggressively towards strangers.

Even though there may not be a leash law where you live, failure to restrain an aggressive dog might end up introducing you to other, more pertinent laws.

We watched the Super Bowl yesterday with one of my best friends and neighbor who also happens to be a criminal defense attorney. The other week he told me about a client he's defending whose dog ended up seriously biting a person who's sole mistake was to knock on the guy's front door just to ask directions.

The short story: The dog owner is in deep shit for damages and the county attorney is insisting that the dog be destroyed. My friend's legal strategy is to try to settle or cop a plea to a lesser offense.

How much is this gonna cost the dog owner? At least $5K plus medical expenses, possibly more depending on how much negotiation might be required.

K

18. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

I live out in the sticks on 20 acres and can't see another house from here although there are several within 1/2 mile. Seems like a perfect spot to let a dog roam free, right? Not! A few years back a cougar came through the neighborhood and ate every loose dog along our road. After that people wised up to letting their dogs out to run and never having them come back.

Friday I was out walking my dog and we found fresh cougar tracks about 50 yards from the house so the threat is always around. When we walk in the forest I usually carry a shotgun and let her run around to her hearts content but she never gets to do that without supervision.

So even if it is the macho old school way to let your dog run, for the dog's sake don't do it.

Ive

Kyle Smith and smc like this.
  19. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Home Page:
    How many times you put your dogs back in the car so far?

20. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    I have two 35 yard dogs. But they are in a fenced up yard. I have made the fence almost dog proof as in that they can't get out. I installed Chicken wire up to about 18" so they can't squeeze through. And yes they will try to bite strangers. SO when a UPS driver shows up, he stands at the gate.

I wouldn't get rid of my dogs for nothing. I love all four of them.

Kyle Smith likes this.