S. Fork Snoq this afternoon

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by JayH, May 24, 2013.

1. rory

rory Go Outside

7'6" 1 weight.

2. rory

rory Go Outside

[​IMG]
    Hope this helps.

3. BGflyguy

BGflyguy New Member

Yes, they are a bit confusing. I appreciate all the help. I haven't fished since H.S. about 15 years ago. Have a ton of close friends that go out weekly, and thought I would get after it again. Only was told the MF was good to go right now for C&R. Good to know the SF is too.

Thanks again for all the help.

4. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Just a note re the catch-and-keep season: a 10"+ fish on the upper south fork is "trophy size" -- please don't consider keeping anything up there, despite the regulations. There aren't that many 12-13" fish up there above Twin Falls and it would be a real shame for there to be even less. Please protect this beautiful, wild trout fishery.

Cheers

5. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Ditto on any of the Snoqualmie forks. If you're dead set on having trout for dinner, do please stop at the market on the way home instead of killing what you catch. Plus, the fish you buy at the store will be ever so much more impressive to your admiring spouse than anything you're likely to catch. Heck, she might be so swept away by your fisherman-studliness that you could get even luckier at home than on the river . . . !

K

6. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

I personally use a 3 wt and have a friend who uses a zero wt. That being said, your 4 weight won't be that out of place.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

7. Cedar

Cedar Active Member

I don't really understand why the forks aren't selective gear, catch and release only

8. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

The simple reason is that WDFW views itself as having a mandate to provide put and take fisheries for the majority of fishers who prefer to 'harvest' their catch. The concept of catch and release, especially broadly applied, is generally opposed by a majority of folks in the department.

K

9. Jeff Cheng

Jeff Cheng Jeff Cheng

Cabelas glass 4wt 6'6" rod. So fun!

I find it so odd that after being up there, I just always assumed it was a selective gear C&R.

So peaceful up there

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. I agree entirely with this sentiment, but I doubt folks on this forum are having much of an impact up there. For the S. Fork, especially, it is the hordes of campers, mostly families with kids that inhabit the several campgrounds along the river in the summer. Dunkin' bait and catching some fish for the pan is a family camping ritual that goes way back. And many of them have those funny rulers with measurements reduced by about 20%, so that an 8" fish measures 10".

The North Fork is the one that should be made C&R year round, in my estimation. There is much less family oriented recreation there, and the low summer flows can be hard enough on the fish in the accessible pools. But the access to the N. Fork is much more limited, both by the private property (Hancock Land Management tree farm), and the geography of the streamcourse that makes fishing difficult in other places, so, it is somewhat more protected to begin with.

Despite protection of the Middle Fork, through C&R year round, and of the North Fork, through difficult access, I've still caught my largest cutthroat and rainbow from any of the forks in the South Fork. Now, you want whitefish? Go to the Middle Fork!

D