S. Fork Snoqualmie Rainbow - Age?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by squaretail, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,016 / 0
    Thanks for your kind words Jesse. Actually, I released the nice 14" CT below in early August from the SF that did indeed fall for a red Humpy.

K

[IMG]
  2. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +678 / 2
    Kent, you're too modest. It was at least 15".
  3. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +234 / 0
    GREAT FISH!
  4. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks for that but, could you please provide GPS coordinates for the EXACT location?

J/K :clown:

As has been said... Doesn't matter how it got there, it did, you caught it and it's a GREAT fish!
  5. heathero Member

Seattle, WA
    That's a beauty. Fished the S. Fork all Summer and caught all little guys! I'm jealous. Congrats!
  6. Broderick Smith SeaToTree

SeaToTree, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    I can't wait to head out next week and find 400 other dudes drooling over the thought of a 20" fish on the SF.

What would it take for the SF to be C&R?
  7. Gary C. Brown Les Paul Lover

Maple Valley, WA, USA.
    MY biggest in many years fishing that river up high (Tinkham) has been 16".
    That sir is a pig of a trout for the S. Fork Congrat's.
  8. ceviche Active Member

Shoreline, Washington, U.S.A.
    Ratings: +27 / 0
    WFF'ing loves you. :beer2:
  9. jamotomo Cast-a-nova

Edmonds, WA
    WOW! I've been doing research on this trout population since 2008, and our largest via angling is 18". Although we've seen considerable variation in size (length) at age, that relationship is generally proportional in lower and middle river sections, but in upper sections trout seem to stop growing at around age 3 or 4. I'm sure there are a few larger (>12") fish in those upper reaches, but we haven't captured any yet. Our 18-incher was estimated as age 6 from scale reading. But you have to interpret that as an estimate, especially since we're dealing with big old resident trout, which are notoriously difficult to age with precision.

We should have a pretty good handle on species composition after our project. We have DNA samples to process from all 3 forks and the mainstem above the falls. From field identification, we have patches of westslope and coastal cutts, rainbows, probable cutt/bow hybrids, and brookies.

BTW, we snorkeled from the headwater to the mouth of each fork and did see a few >20". We saw a surprisingly high number of trout >15" in the lower Middle Fork, but it seems like the largest were probably in the South Fork. They are tough to catch though!

JT
  10. deck New Member

Looks like a Cedar bratt to me? Nice fish.
  11. Backwoods Angler If you tell them, they'll know!

South Sound Combat Zone
    Oh, how I wish it was C&R, maybe we should recommend this to WDFW.
  12. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +678 / 2
    I think the 20" trout of the SF Sno are safe for the year. All three forks of the Snoqualmie are blown out due to the rain right now, and unless the weather dries up for a few weeks straight, that's the end of the 2010 high mountain creek season: http://www.nwd-wc.usace.army.mil/nws/hh/basins/snoh.html
  13. Will Carnaghi Member

Seattle, Wa
    VERY NICE FISH MAN