"S" River Report

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Jon Brengan, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Media:
    Keep it simple. Just tie on a hoochie with some sinking line or a small weight in it and call it good.

Cast slightly downstream then strip back with quick little motions and maybe some minor up and down with the rod so the hoochie will "jig" and get 1 fish per cast until tendonitis kicks in and you wish humpies never existed.

2. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Lol, are you serious? A fly is pretty simple, especially when it works. Besides, hoochies take a fair bit of weight to sink and aren't fun to cast.

Not sure what sopflyfisher is complaining about given that the report is both too specific, not specific enough, and on the wrong forum, according to his first post.

I like to read reports from rivers, this thread has some good info for my next pink river outing.

Checkthisout likes this.
  3. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Media:
    You don't need them to sink far, maybe 4 feet? Sometimes you just gotta cheat......

4. ten80

ten80 Active Member

Ok, no worries, then. I may have misunderstood the context of your post. Do tell more about your interesting take on coho in rivers as they are starting to show up in "S" rivers and they are also my favorite salmon to fish for.

Checkthisout, I've found that marabout or Finn Racoon can make a similar profile to that of hoochies, but have even better movement and don't weigh as much, especially the racoon, which doesn't pick up water. Add a conehead for sink and tie on an octopus hook. I'm not one to shy away from throwing "gear" on my fly rod, but I think that hoochies aren't the best option.

5. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    and its more fun to tie a fly anyways

6. Checkthisout

Checkthisout Member

Media:
    Aint no one got time fo dat. Kids and work ya know.....

Fishee likes this.
  7. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    I'll skip the sleep

ten80 likes this.
  8. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

9. Jon Brengan

ok today - at Ben Howard launch on the Sky, I caught 20 on a green/white/blue clouser minnow. This fly seems to work when all others have failed.

PT likes this.
  10. Jon Brengan

11. Jon Brengan

figures that someone would have to accuse me of "snagging" - isn't flossing just about the same. Only problem is that you have to cast a crossed current then wait for the line to tighten, but I'm swinging the fly and getting my fish on the swing....technically that's fishing. Just like fishing for Steelhead.

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
  13. Cascadian

Cascadian New Member

See any cohos today Jon Brengan?

14. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I disagree with Pat Lat. Sure, it's possible to floss all salmon, but conversely, it's possible to get salmon (both bright and dark fish) to eat flies. Pinks can be aggressive in rivers regardless of their color; I've had pinks with one eye molded shut bite jigs and spinners, that is they were hooked INSIDE the mouth with the hook going from the inside out. Flossed fish are generally hooked from the outside in. I've also had lots of coho and a few kings destroy stripped, twitched, and jigged flies. Just because flossing and snagging work doesn't mean that you can't get salmon to bite.

If you are hump-hooking pinks because they are in a tight school then try a different presentation (lighter or heavier sink tip, dangling flies from upstream, indicators, etc) or move to a different section of the river where the fish are more spread out.

15. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    Well I would think that there is no way to solve the debate fully, I know the other species get caught quite regularly using standard methods, especially when bright, but the last few pink runs Ive witnessed (since about 03 was my first) Ive always seen banks full of anglers fishing for them and the only ones consistantly hooking them are the ones flossing their way through the slots. It would be nice to find a pocket of activley biting humpies, Im sure there are plenty throughout the system and good for those who have. Im just not going to try to find them amongst all the non biters and zombies in the system. There are a lot better places to fish in September of all months, than the middle of Snagville, PNW.
    PS hook placement is not always consistent either. I just recently landed a pink from the salt that had my stinger punched through the outside of the lip, just as a flossed hook could miss the first spot and end up inside.

16. ten80

ten80 Active Member

I had many good days at a nice hole full of biting pinks on a river, where there were few other anglers and I didn't snag a single fish. Forget all the gear flossers, they have nothing to do with non-biting fish. I think you need to change your mindset and explore some new rivers.

Gregg Lundgren likes this.
  17. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    k thanks

18. Jon Brengan

[quote="Ive always seen banks full of anglers fishing for them and the only ones consistantly hooking them are the ones flossing their way through the slots. It would be nice to find a pocket of activley biting humpies, Im sure there are plenty throughout the system and good for those who have. Im just not going to try to find them amongst all the non biters and zombies in the system. There are a lot better places to fish in September of all months, than the middle of Snagville, PNW.[/quote]
    So I fish in the least fished places, especially on Thursday's, when I'm out. I have never been one to fish with the masses. Maybe you're accustomed to that scene but it's never been a good one for me. Plus I'm fly fishing not throwing gear so some elbow room is more like my thing. Many days - there's not another person in the same hole, so you can see why I might be put off by the analogy that I could be "flossing", as stated before all my fish came on or near the tail of the swing, where I felt a solid bite, there's absolutely no way that can be flossing when the line is either all the way down below me or quartering through the tail-end of the drift. Apparently there will no doubt be controversy over trying to have you see my point of view....can we call a truce and just agree to disagree!

19. Jon Brengan

I didn't get any strikes today, I had one on briefly on a fly I tied to mimic a Dick Nite spoon. An old man told me he was using that spoon to pull silvers out of that same run, on the Sky.

20. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Media:
    no I get it, as others have made clear, there seem to be some players out there, although I tend to just hear it and not see it. I just think that there are a lot of species and places to fish in our area that are better quarry than colored up humpies in a river. Sure you can have 50+fish days or better, but they're just humpies. Theres thousands of them all up and down the river you cant hardly step without your foot landing on them. Of course youll hook into fish one way or another, but wouldn't you rather fish for species that aren't on the last leg of their journey, something that has a little more spunk or mystery than freshwater pinks which is a primarily a floss fishery. It doesn't make sense to me is all. I'd much rather hit up the fall hatches in the yak area or try for some src's. Get your gear a little salty, you might catch something in the sound and not even know what species it is;) , or take a road trip to a lake you've been eyeballing over the hot summer. Personally I wouldn't want to drive somewhere, hike a mile or so away from the crowds, tie on a fly that's fresh out of the vice and (drumroll please) catch a humped out pink.
    The op wanted to know why no one braggs about their conquests fishing rivers for the elusive pink, IMO its pretty clear. No offense meant, it just really doesn't seem like its that exciting as far as fishing in WA state is concerned. Although I'm glad you were able to swing some up. I think I had more fun catching a freezer full of them from the beach than if I were to have the whole river to myself during a pink run.