Sacramento River

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Jim Jones, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Jim Jones flytosser

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Went down to Northern California to fish the Sacramento River with some guides from The Fly Shop. Here's the two largest fish we caught. It was lot's of fun and will definitely be going back.

Jim Jones

Attached Files:

• Sac1.jpg
      Sac1.jpg
      File size:
      413.1 KB
      Views:
    • Sac2.jpg
      Sac2.jpg
      File size:
      445.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Very cool.
    I have always thought about taking the boat down there and doing a little fishing.
  3. Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Missoula, MT
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Those are some huge rainbows...beautiful fish man!
  4. ibn Moderator

Federal Way
    Ratings: +10 / 0
    Dammm, nice fish! Sounds like a good trip
  5. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    Love that river! Great fish!!
  6. chadk Be the guide...

Snohomish, WA.
    Ratings: +41 / 0
  7. Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

around
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    damn, makes me wanna go back.
  8. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +318 / 0
    I love the drift right through downtown Redding. That river puts out some amazing fish and lots of them.
  9. Jim Jones flytosser

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks guys. Yeah, frankly I went down there to connect with some old buddies from the Bay Area and I have to admit I was shocked at the quality of that fishery. My buddy had never thrown a fly before and he ended up catching three fish in the 20 inch range.

We had been catching some nice fish all day, but when I hooked that big fish and finally got a look at it my jaw must have hit the floor.

On a side note I was able to meet a number of the guys from the Northern California Fly Fishing board (ncffb.org) thanks to Jan (NewFlyLady). They were having their annual Rod Bash where they get together and learn about building rods, tying flies, eating some fantastic food and, of course, drinking. It was fun to connect with some new people.

Jim Jones
  10. CovingtonFly B.O.H.I.C.A. bend over here it comes again

Covington, Wa
  11. Chris Kunin New Member

Seattle, WA
    The Sacramento River is a hugely underestimated fishery. The temperature regulation system for releases from Keswick reservoir that they have put in place has done wonders for the river, as the photos you took prove.

I learned how to fish mainly on the the Upper and Lower Sac - they are very different rivers, but both great.

Here are a couple of my pics from the Lower Sac.
  12. LoonhauntDave New Member

Divide, Co
    Good run the Sac, I used to live in the neighborhood. My favorite spot was the Eel, out of Garberville. I wonder what life is like along the eel these days??

Dave
  13. Jim Jones flytosser

Woodinville, WA
    I agree flyguy, I was amazed at the quality of the fish we caught. Not just the two big guys but a real healthy population of fish between 12" and 20". I would love to see more of the river someday including the stretch above the lake.

If you guys are interested I would check out the Northern California Fly Fishing Board (ncffb.org) and you can get information about NorCal streams including the Eel. They are a nice bunch of guys and gals.

Jim Jones
  14. NewFlyLady New Member

Roseville, CA & Cameron, MT
    Hey Jim,

Glad you enjoyed the trip. The fish are great. Also, glad you got to the rod bash. It really is a great bunch of people. We have had a Montana mini-bash for the last 3 years with some of the group coming up to our place in Montana. Unfortunately this year we just didn't have time to make all of the plans because of my work schedule.
  15. Jim Jones flytosser

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks for your help and suggestion to post on the NCFFB board. It was fun meeting everyone and you were right Road Dog puts up a mean spread of food! They have invited me to their Bash up at Hat Creek, which I am not sure I can make but it was a nice gesture.

Jim Jones
  16. NewFlyLady New Member

Roseville, CA & Cameron, MT
    You should go to the spring bash if you have the chance. The bashes are pretty fun. I'm not sure how much fishing actually takes place. The link is to the Spring Wedding Bash. My husband and I got married there almost 4 years ago. Of course, we had an official wedding before that but it was fun. You may recognize one of the "mothers" as being Greg from the rod bash.

Since I started working in Canada 2 weeks a month we have not been able to go because it is held on a weekend that I am up here.
  17. Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Port Orchard, Washington, USA.
    Geez, Jim...

Absolutely awesome fish - and then you got to meet, greet, and break bread with some good locals to boot! Sounds great all the way around - good on ya!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  18. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Hey Jan...don't forget your other "Mother" was also at the Rod Bash!!! Great meeting you Jim and I sure hope you can make the Bash...and that invitation is extended to anyone who would like to come to participate or just sit around telling stories...all are invited.
  19. Jim Jones flytosser

Woodinville, WA
    Thanks Charlie! When do you 'officially' become a Northwesterner?

Jim
  20. Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

Ukiah, CA but moving to Spokane
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Wife retires in March...by then we will have the house for sale and hopefully sold shortly thereafter. Then we'll get up to buy...I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to getting out of this state of confusion.