NFR Sad News, Another Local Small Fly Shop Lost.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +684 / 0
    I am very sorry to have to share with you that Mike will be closing down the Port Townsend Angler Fly Shop at the end of this month. This has been a great little resource for our local crowd, and for the parade of visitors every year. After a great ten year run of outfitting fly anglers coming here from all over the world, sharing good information for anyone who asked, helping anyone who walked in the door, donating steeply to conservation causes and local charities, feeding hungry fishing guides and stray cats, and making a host of friends along the way- Mike's severe health issues are causing this closure. This is a bummer as we have seen a long string of great little local shops close over the recent years. Everything now in stock inventory is being clearance sale priced to clear out by end of the month. He is not there on Tuesdays. No internet or emails. You can call him at 360-379-3763
  2. Jason Rolfe Wanderer

the beach
    Ratings: +373 / 0
    Sorry to hear it. I stopped in there once several years ago and talked with Mike (I think). He gave me some great advice on fishing in the area, and I bought a book and a few flies from him.

I remember it being a pleasant little spot.

Sorry to hear about Mike's bad health as well.

Best to him.

J
  3. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +383 / 0
    Thank you Bob for the heads up. I have a gift card to use there from Christmas!
  4. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +375 / 0
    Don't know Mike and have never been in his shop but I will say a prayer for him and his health.

OTOH, I'm relieved to hear that he's not being forced out of business by big-box sporting-goods stores and the web.

I enjoy small local shops of any kind!

"Think global, buy local!" :)
  5. Mark Yoshida Active Member

Seattle WA
    Ratings: +67 / 1
    Sorry to hear this. It is my first stop when we visit PT. She goes to the yarn shop and I go up stairs. Bought my first chum baby there, then met Bob casting at Ft Flagler beach the next day.
    Bob Triggs and Jeff Dodd like this.
  6. doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +22 / 0
    I stopped in some years ago and really enjoyed the conversation with the guy @ the counter and picking thru the fine selection of tying materials. Best wished to Mike and a sad farewell to his shop!
  7. xdog Active Member

Washington, Alaska and Louisiana
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Here, here......

Cheers,

:(
  8. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +385 / 0
    I'm very sorry to see the shop closing, I've been a regular over the years. It won't be the same visiting PT without the shop open. Mike used to scold me for taking too long to buy something or for messing up his fly bins, but he also shared some entertaining stories. This weekend I'll pay one last visit.
  9. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +504 / 0
    Thats too bad, I visited with Mike last year and he will be missed by many. I hope his health problems aren't too serious. Best of luck to him.
  10. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +329 / 0
    Such sad news... Mike will be in my prayers for a healthy return. Although I don't know him well, his shop is absolutely first rate. The shop is truly a mecca for fly fisher persons and especially for fly tyers. I'll be there in the next few days to see if I can "help" out.
  11. jonbackman Member

Mt. Vernon
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    He sold me the fly, and gave me the information, to catch my first SRC. Sorry to hear the shop is going away.
  12. 1morecast Active Member

Port Angeles
    Ratings: +51 / 0
    Mike was a great guy to do business with. Always willing to share his skills at the vise. Hope his health improves.
  13. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Sorry to hear this, and I hope his health issues can be satisfactorily resolved. Nice guy.
  14. Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Auburn,Wa.
    Ratings: +141 / 0
  15. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    I can affirm that "The Internet and Big Box Stores" have indeed played a very heavy and damaging role in the demise of this little shop.
  16. sweetlou Member

La Quinta, California
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    When we visited the area a couple of years ago, we went to that shop and it was very enjoyable and helpful. I pray for his health.
  17. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +331 / 2
    It's too bad one of you PT guys can't run it for a while to bridge his health issue (if that's an option) or work out a transfer of ownership. Sounds like a shop with value. I can imagine though that the internet stores put a big hurt on the small town shops.
    Good luck to Mike.
  18. Marty Leith Member

Bellevue, WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    Not often there but as the kids grow older, we will be spending more time not far from PT in the summers.....I remember the first time setting foot in the shop. Stumbled upon it Thank God during a "getaway" with the wife pre kids....Savior and great materials, knowledge.

Would be a dream job for the right guy/gal....hope Mike gets well and hope his shop sticks around...
    Bob Triggs likes this.
  19. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Sorry guys, To be totally clear about this: The shop is closing at the end of the month.
  20. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +385 / 0
    I visited PT Angler this afternoon and the place was busy. Mike seemed to be in good spirits and had plenty of plans for the future. I will miss his quality flies all tied in the shop.