Sad News, Doug Rose Has Died.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Mar 12, 2013.

1. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    He will be missed greatly in our part of this paradise of fly fishing. Very sad. His contributions will live on.

2. Walt K

Walt K Searcher

Terrible news. I was just checking his blog the other day to look for updates after he said he was taking a break to deal with his health issues. RIP, Doug, and thanks for all you did for the WA fishing community.

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I'm sorry to hear the sad news. When he announced he was taking a break for health issues I was hoping he was going to spring back. Didn't realize things were so advanced. I hope he had an easy passing. He leaves a great legacy.

Ron McNeal and Jeff Dodd like this.
  4. IHV2FSH

IHV2FSH Member

To date, I've only visited the OP twice. Once in 2009, once in 2011, and going again next week for a few days. In 2011, a friend and I decided to try the upper Bogachiel River. It was mid-week and not a lot of people out. We parked the SUV and walked down to the spot we knew we wanted to fish. Upon arriving, we first noticed an older gentlman and a lady friend casting away, and initially a bit disappointed the spot was taken. From the bushes, away from the bank sitting quietly but watching the two intently, was an unassuming gentleman wearing an outfit and having a stature more suited to an english professor than a steelhead guide. He used his walking stick to help himself to his feet and we shook hands and proceeded to engage in coversation. We had an enjoyable conversation; calm, relaxing, without much opinion one way or another, just conversation. But his passion for where he was at that moment in time came through loud and clear. At some point during the conversation, we exchanged pleasantries and names; he introduced himslef as Doug Rose. We never wet a line but I felt content that I had taken from the spot more than I came to get.

It's painful to loose, especially at a young age, such people of the world who's dedication to the wilderness is contageous simply by meeting them.

5. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    "I felt content that I had taken more from the spot than I came to get"

Well said!

Ian Broadie likes this.
  6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Deepest condolences to his family and close friends. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but had hoped to do so at the Cuuts and Chums gathering this year. We have lost a true champion for our fish and conservation. Sad day for all of us.

7. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    I'm saddened to hear of his death. I think I'll pick up a Doug Rose book this evening and read a couple sections.
    D

8. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Aside from his work and love of the outdoors, a kind gracious and friendly man.

Jonathan Stumpf likes this.
  9. James Harrington

James Harrington Active Member

We are fortunate to have his writings as a lasting testament to his dedication.

Walt K likes this.
  10. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

DSC03453 2.JPG We love you Doug.

11. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    DOUG ROSE
    Author, Lecturer, Fly Fishing Guide and Friend
    RIP
    I am struggling to find the words to describe the loss that I am feeling. Doug was a teacher who has shared his knowledge with thousands through his books, his blog Doug Rose Fly Fishing and seminars like Cutts and Chum that I was lucky enough to tie flies at last spring. This August my son Caldwell and I were in Port Townsend for a trip with Bob Triggs when who wandered up at the cut but Doug. I am so grateful that Bob snapped the attached photo. I laughed again today when rereading Bob's description of the encounter, "Once we got to the beach we realized that we were being stalked by a vagrant. Steve was very kind to this poor man. — with Doug Rose and Steve Rohrbach."
    The fly fishing community has lost a leader today. Our fish will miss his steady hand and reminder of the need for conservation. Most of all, the world will miss his kindness and laugh that warmed a room. 540179_3888356531328_1377707919_n.jpg
    Tight lines my friend!

12. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    A fantastic photo of him Jack, i'm guessing he was a good friend of yours.
    Although I never met this man, I thoroughly enjoyed his blogs and the wisdom he shared with all of us. His passion of the outdoors and for what he stood for will be sorely missed.
    My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends who lost a sibling, spouse, parent and fellow angler....

13. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I have read thousands of posts on this forum. I have read very few as heartfelt and well written. Thank you for sharing!

14. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Media:
    The fly fishing community and world in general has lost an incredible person. Mr. Rose's family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Tight Lines up there Doug

15. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

I never met Doug, but I can tell he meant an awful lot to many people. I am going to hold Doug, his family, his friends, and everyone he touched close to my heart tonight. My condolences, everyone who knew this man.

Godspeed on the next leg of your journey, Doug.

16. Griswald

Griswald a.k.a. Griswald

One of the nicest men, and gracious fishermen I ever met. RIP Doug.

Lance likes this.
  17. JudyG

JudyG To fish is to hope.

Such sad news. We've all learned a great deal from Doug. Peace be with you.

18. Brookie_Hunter

Brookie_Hunter aka Dave Hoover

Media:
    Sorry to hear that too. I frequented his blog often and have read all of his books more than once.

19. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Media:
    A sad day for sure.... he will be missed by many. Fortunately we have his books and articles and his love of the OP to inspire us and remember him by.

20. Jim Kerr

Jim Kerr Active Member

Media:
    Oooff.
    A huge loss.

Ian Broadie likes this.