Sad News, Doug Rose Has Died.

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Such sad news and I hope Doug's close friends have the opportunity to read the kind words from the members of wff.com

I regret not fishing with him more, but have great memories of the seminar I attended with Doug last spring. Doug was a great example to others and he cared about the community and fit right on on the Peninsula...A reminder of why I enjoy fly fishing so much.

2. Banzai

Banzai FFing and VWs...Bugs & Bugs

I am truly saddened to hear this day of Doug's passing. Though I had only met and spoken with him a few times it is with fondness that I remember those, and the way he made me feel as though I was welcome to do so. It is also with regret that I allowed work to get in the way of fishing with him during his "Hot Dog Fridays". May the future allow me the chance to just that in the Great Beyond.

The Duke likes this.
  3. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Sad news indeed. I will miss running into Doug while fishing, he was always a pleasure to visit with.

4. Chester Allen

Chester Allen Fishing addict and scribbler

Home Page:
    I am still trying to come to grips with Doug's passing.

He was, simply, one of the great guys. He was also a fantastic angler who explored the waters of the Olympic Peninsula with an energy and thoughtfulness that we all recognized when reading his words -- or sharing a conversation.
    I first met Doug years ago, when he gave a talk and slideshow at a South Sound Fly Fishers meeting in Olympia, WA. HIs overview of the Peninsula's waters was amazing, and his love for them -- and the fish -- gave the presentation a glow. We talked fishing and writing afterwards, and he was a friend from that day on.

Doug gave me a lot of encouragement when I was writing my book, and he was gracious enough to write a kind review for his blog. Doug generously invited me to present a program during last year's Cutts and Chum seminar, and I loved contributing to his yearly Christmas Newsletter.

A visit to www.dougroseflyfishing.com is a great way to get to know Doug's thoughtful writing and view of our world. All of his books are worth far more than the money you will spend to bring them home.

Last fall, Doug came to Joe Uhlman's home in Olympia for an informal gathering of sea-run cutt addicts. We talked fishing, food and flies well into the night, and Doug got out of bed before dawn to say farewell as I left to fish an early morning tide.
    As I left, I though how lucky I was to have so many good friends in the flyfishing world. I thought we had years and years to enjoy our friendship.

There is a hole in my heart right now.

5. coastal cutthroat

coastal cutthroat Member

A sad bit of news to have to carry. Thank you Bob for telling us. A great loss to our community as well as to his family and friends.

Easy journey Doug. You will be remembered and missed

6. Bryce Comstock

Bryce Comstock New Member

I still can't believe he has passed. Doug was the mentor I needed to fully understand this unspoken passion for fishing with a fly in Washington. Everything about the way he approached the sport was right. He gave fishermen a connection to their heritage, a sense of mysticism on the water, and the inspiration to protect treasured resources. Most importantly though he was a gracious man with integrity, had an amazing respect for his craft, and was always willing to lend a fly, a hand, or a joke to any passing person. There honestly was no one else like him.