Sad News Tim Irish

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kevin J. Burnham, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    With a heavy heart I have some sad news. One of the truly great guys in fishing passed yesterday. Tim Irish, a mentor and great friend of mine, and a friend to many others I'm sure in the WFF. He was one of the true OG's and friend of the river he loved the Yakima. I met him 30 years ago on the river. He was a true and loyal friend and I shall miss him immensely !! I will pass more as I hear. I'll see you on the other side old friend !!!!

2. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Media:
    First Doug, then Tim; the year's off to a bad start. My deepest condolences to both families.

3. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Media:
    Home Page:
    No wonder she's storming and raging today..RIP Tim. Condolences to the staff and families at the Worley-Bugger...

4. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    Very sad news. Best wishes to Tim's family and friends.

5. suckegg

suckegg Active Member

Yet another "special one" slips from our midsts. Those of you who hold the Yakima's trout dear to your hearts might want to send some thanks Tim's way. He was instrumental in the effort ending the stocking program and changing it's status to catch & release. Tim was ahead of his time in that vision from which many of us now find great enjoyment in.

Just last week Tim shared a touching personal story with me that left me barely able to hold back the tears. I was not aware Tim was orphaned at birth till he shared his story. He said for 60 year he wanted to find a blood relative but he had no luck even knowing his mothers maiden name. His daughter recently suggested he list his name on a website built to help people find their relatives. In just a few weeks he received a letter from his mother who was living in Idaho. A meeting was arranged and Tim said he met a "house full of relatives" when the door opened at his mothers place. It was clear it meant the world to him and in a way it was as if he'd been relieved, freed from the burden of a mystery that riddled and clawed at him for a lifetime. I had never seen him so happy and at ease as I walked out of the shop on what was to be our final conversation. I am thankful we crossed paths and for all the stories and theories on fishing he shared. I'm far more thankful though Tim's wish was fulfilled before he passed.

6. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Having worked with and along side Tim for 5 or 6 years, I truly felt privileged calling him my friend. Listening to his vast knowledge of the Yakima River, and even more than that, life itself, will be sorely missed. I was so happy for him when he found his long, lost family. May he rest in peace and his new-found family find comfort in finally meeting him before passing on.

Patrick Gould likes this.
  7. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Very sad. I met him once up at the Jimmy Green event in Monroe. Rest in peace Tim!

8. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I am so happy that Tim was able to do this before he died.
    Leland.

9. doublespey

doublespey Steelhead-a-holic

I met Tim in the 80s when he owned a little drivein called "Irish's" in Ellensburg. He was just getting into guiding and my dad and I met up with him and started arranging trips. Over the next 10+ years he taught me a lot about flyfishing, the Yakima, and just plain having fun.

Timbo was a serious prankster - he really got me one trip in August. He kept talking about the terrible Rattlesnake plague they were experiencing in the Canyon. Mid-afternoon, I'm stepping out of the raft with my hands filled with fly rods and gear when Tim shouts "Watch out - SNAKE!" while rubbing a couple pine cones together behind my back.

You'd be amazed how real that 'rattle' sounded - I threw that gear up on shore and promptly face-planted in the water.

I'll always remember Tim's ever-present smile and joy of teaching and sharing. RIP my friend!

Patrick Gould and miyawaki like this.
  10. Grayone

Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

Media:
    Sad, as always.

11. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    What a shock. I'm a flurry of emotion right now. Several times a week for the last three years I would see his truck at the shop and stop in to get advice or just listen to a story. Much of what I know about the river and fly fishing was learned from Tim. He was a giant sequoia of the local fishing world.

The last time we talked was Saturday. I was telling him about catching stockers at Matoon. Even though he was the one that suggested that I try it he was teasing me a bit. He told me to bring some gravel and throw it into the water to "chum" for the stockers.

Tim and I were in the same tribe (short guys). Whenever the subject of casting came up he would get around to how big guys like Lefty Kreh cheated when casting because of the size of their wrists.

Tim liked modern fast action rods and lightweight reels. I brought in my Medalist to get some backing. He looked at me and said "You not going to put that on your rod, are you"?

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  12. Preston

Preston Active Member

It must have been pretty sudden. I stopped by the shop on Tuesday afternoon and, in the course of conversation, asked after him; he was apparently okay then.

13. Bigsteel

Bigsteel Member

wow,what terrible news.I met tim when we first fished the yakima last december.very nice guy and very knowledgeable..RIP Tim

14. ribka

ribka Active Member

RIP Tim.

Tim was a wonderful person and a very knowledgable outdoorsman.

Spent hours gabbing with him at the WB. Walking into the WB always count on a big smile and a willingness to share his ideas experiences new fly .

What a shame. Will really miss Tim

15. troutpocket

troutpocket Active Member

Media:
    Same experience for me. I moved to Ellensburg four years ago and Tim has been my mentor for learning the area. Many times I dropped in to pick up 1-2 items and ended up getting an oral dissertation on fish behavior, or a story about a fishing trip to Montana with the kind of detail that a guy wants to write down and use on his next trip. Very sad.

16. orangeradish

orangeradish Bobo approved

Home Page:
    Sorry to hear...

17. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

Media:
    Yup, if I really wanted to get to the water on time I wouldn't stop at the WB when Tim was there. My wife quickly learned that if I said I was going to make a quick run to the fly shop (2 min away) she should expect me to be gone for at least an hour. The man could talk!

18. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    My sincere condolences to you all. I met Tim once and never forgot him.

19. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    I will now pull two flies out of my box that he tied for me showing me and effective technique to tie on crystal flash or other long fibers to build a body for baitfish patterns. I think I'll keep those two safe, or would it be better to fish them in his memory and lose them appropriately?

20. jimmydub

jimmydub Active Member

Sorry to hear of the passing, what a truly amazing story though. My condolences to his families, friends, acquaintances.

I didn't know him personally, but I'll bet he'd want you to keep on tossing those flies!