sage 1016 - light line casting

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Nov 22, 2011.

1. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Yuhina and Bruce,
    Thank you for the kind words, Speycasting history has taught me so much, one thing that has never changed over the years is the arguments in Speycasting, its just done differently nowadays.
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but i thought i would add this as it seems to be about casting light lines.
    Grant's letter to the Hardy's casting Champion of the time.

I conclude that from such a weight of silk, the line must be far too heavy for the length given. I am sending you herewith a wooden match stick, tapered from point to stem, giving the thickness a natural tapered line should have up to 40 yardsor so. Observe that it is marked in three places representing a measurement of 10 yards between each mark, so that a line gauged from its thin end, and at each 10 yards, corresponding to this graduation.

Yes .......he sent a exact profile of a 40yrd line on a matchstick.

Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.

2. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  3. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  4. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Mark there is a 20 plus page discussion on fulcrum on sexyloops forum in the double hand section that you should get in on

5. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  6. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Yuhina,
    Thank you for your responce, i am still enjoying this thread and feel we are on the right tracks, to discuss Speycasting mechanics, please let me say i totally understand the casting mechanics in casting a lever and spring.
    I would like to go back to my question on underhand being the best way to flex a lever and spring ?, bearing in mind most of the power aplication is in the lower hand.
    I would also like to discuss effects on lever and spring and power applications in position.
    Please let me know your thoughts.
    I know we are getting away for the original post you made.
    Thanks Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.

7. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  8. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  9. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Yuhina,
    Thank you for your reply,
    it is very late here in snowy Speyside so forgive me if i don't give a big reply right now, right now i would like to point out that true Underhand Speycasting style used 70% bottom hand as a power application, the top hand only really used to position the rod. i still wonder how using 70% of your power application on the bottom of the rod can be efficient, as the pivot cannot ever be at the bottom of the rod.
    Will add more in the morning.
    Thanks Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.

10. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  11. SPEYBUM

SPEYBUM Member

Home Page:
    Make sense to me.

12. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    I'm sorry, 8 pages on casting off the tip?:beathead:
    Underlining a rod for casting practice...what a new concept...not.

These threads don't usually arise till the rivers are blown out, then OCD rears its ugly head.
    I'm gonna put a 650 grain fullsink powertaper on my 10/11 Stinger and go kick some doggie ASS tomorrow, and the rod will be like an effortless vapor to cast because it's doing exactly what it's meant to do.

13. T Dave

T Dave Member

Be sure to post up a vid of your awesome vapor casts:D

14. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Yuhina,
    or should i say good morning, glad this is not another thread that turns in to a pissin match as normally happens, though there is time yet. :beathead:
    I understand your detail on the flexing of the rod , and i feel i have not made myself clear in what i mean as regards efficient casting and using the rod as a lever/spring, while you can flex a rod in many ways, if we look at casting a single handed rod, you will cast the rod much easier if your hand is closer to the pivot and in turn make much more effortless efficient casts if everything is in balance.
    When it comes to a double-handed rod this is more difficult because they way WE are made, it is possible to flex a lever in many, many ways, but for it to be at its easiest and most efficient it has to have free and easy movement.

Is it not possible to flex a rod over a short stroke just as easier with the top hand which has much more freedom of movement than the bottom hand ?

What i am getting at really ........is that there is a better way to deliver a casting stroke, short or long with an old cast that has been long forgotten , its works on the mechanics you decribe but is more efficienct because of the way WE are made, freedom of movement .

I will send you details of the cast later tonight and you can judge for yourself.
    Got to go dig the car out of the snow.
    Thanks Gordon.

15. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  16. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Gordon, I too am in anticipation of your details. In one simple post you've stated a fundamental truth missing in the prior 100 or so posts, the not so obvious truth about the pivot, your single hand casting anology demonstrates quite well.

James.

17. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  18. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Media:
    Home Page:
  19. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi James and yuhina,
    Sorry for the late reply, i just dropped in to let you know i have not forgotten about this thread, but i am unable to post very much right now as i am working on too many other things right now, i promise i will reply tomorrow, its 12.30 am here, and i still have a couple hrs of work to get through....... i hate paperwork.
    Just a quick look at Steve Rajeff's casting, who is a master of his art, total respect.
    Will post tomorrow.
    Thanks Guys,
    Gordon.

20. SpeySpaz

SpeySpaz still an authority on nothing

Media:
    Hi TDave...oh, new to the board! nice start...go ahead and work that, OK?
    I will be happy to meet you at the Tank Crossing tomorrow and school you.
    Before noon OK? Be ready to go 120+. Consistently. I'll be easy to recognize. Bright green string, bitch.

All this talk- with poseurs- and the challenger shows up for me, oh joy. Come on down, son. We'll fix you right up. No problem.

Rowdiness and newbies aside, I've seen Gordon cast and he knows of which he speaks. Anyone who thinks there's only one way to load a rod needs to think again, eh?
    Tomorrow I'll be casting the thunderstick again, and will widely vary my top-bottom hand ratio throughout the day, just so I can fart in all y'alls general direction. I've seen too many strings like this to believe they mean too much. "Every cast is a discrete event" said my sensei.
    The OCD is running at full tilt if you ask me, not that anyone has. GRIN. Gawd, lighten up you guys! swill some booze! Cast loose! Relax your sphincters!
    Bob