Sage 4280 in the Salt

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Jordan Simpson, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Does anyone have the Sage 4280, and have you used it in the salt? Did you like it?

Cheers and Beers,
    Jordan

2. I don't personally have one, but I have talked to a number of people that have 4200 series reels they use in the salt and are very happy with them.

3. I got one this year and have liked it so far. I just came back from the Strait where I was trolling a surface tube fly and caught several 8-12# fish with it and it handled just fine. The drag is very easy to adjust with the big dial. I was a little skeptical about the spool just pushing onto the reel but it seems to hold just fine.

4. It is a sweet reel. I picked one up for this second half of the season after a hot 7 pounder destroyed the drag on my mid-market reel. It has handled 12 or so ocean-run Coho so far with ease. Buttery smooth drag, light weight, and a large arbor to catch up to those crafty fish that try to slack line you. You will be happy with that reel.

5. The 4280 proved that it is a stellar reel once again today on this hard running fatty:

[​IMG]

6. What a hog! Damn I'm itching to get out there

7. Great fish! I have a 2500 seriers reel (now called 4500) and it's also awesome. There are still a few 2500 series reels out there on big clearance if you can find them.

8. 4200 series are killer because they have a sealed drag on them to keep the salt out. I have been fishing a pair of 4280s and 4210s for bonefish, salmon, and steelhead for over a year now with no issues. Being a gear whore, I got the chance to jump on a couple of 6000 series reels so I had to do it, and am going to list the 4200s now on the forum to make back some of that $$$! Definitely a capable reel for all except for trevally/buewater where a train-stopping drag is needed.