Sage 7141. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by rustybee, Oct 20, 2013.

1. rustybee Member

Ratings: +21 / 0
    Hi all. New to the board, but have been lurking for a while.
    Want to thank all who have contributed to make this one of the best spey forums on the net.
    Have a chance to pick up a deal on a used Sage 7141.
    Anybody have any thoughts and experiences with them?
    Thanks in advance!
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,688 / 0
    It's a nice rod. It's only a good choice for you if you like it, however. What do you want to fish for and where would you fish it?

Sg
    rustybee likes this.
  3. rustybee Member

Thinking of targeting Kings on the Veeder with this but not sure if I need to throw a 14 footer. Any recommendations for a stick that will do the job in a 13-13.5 range?
  4. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +181 / 0
    The 7141-4 is my go to winter rod. It's pretty fast so if fast rods are not your cup of tea, this would not be good choice for you. If you like a fast rod, the 7141-4 would be well-suited to fishing for kings.
    rustybee likes this.
  5. rustybee Member

Thanks for the info.
    Might I ask what lines you are running on your reel?
  6. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +181 / 0
    For winter, more often than not I use either a Rio Skagit Flight in 570 grains or an old school Rio Skagit line in 550 grains with a 5' cheater; sometimes an Airflo Delta 8/9 multi-tip. I've also fished it with an 8/9 Ballistic Vector which seems like a pretty good match, but I prefer other rods I own for dry line work. (By the way, in case you were not aware, this rod is really more like an 8 weight, not a 7 weight.)
    rustybee likes this.
  7. rustybee Member

Thanks for the intel!