Sage 8126-3 European Model

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Brian Scott, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Brian Scott New Member

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Anyone ever cast/fish with one of these 12'-6", 8wt spey rods? Thought's, comments, questions, suggestion, or anything of profound worth regarding this rod?
    Thanks a E6
  2. bigtj Member

Victoria, BC
    Brian,

I used that rod a few times with a windcutter 7/8/9 and could never really get into it. That's not to say I didn't have the wrong line, or perhaps it just didn't suit my style. I just felt that the short lenght and stiffness made it a little less favorable for my casting style. I guess I just like 14 and 15' slightly more moderate action eights better, but that's just me.

What prompted you to ask the question?

Good luck with it,

-John
  3. Brian Scott New Member

John,
    I picked up one this week, so I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has any experience with this rod. If so, what they thought about it, pros and cons, etc. I already had a Windcutter 8/9/10, so I also picked up a Skagit 550 (8/9) to see how they compare. I tried the rod out last night on a beach near home with the Windcutter and floating tips, which seemed to load the it adequately. So far so good. I'll try out the Skagit line this weekend hopefully. I've been spey casting my 7wt and 8wt single handed rods for quite awhile using 8wt and 9wt Versitip lines, and just recently starting using the body and running line of the Windcutter 8/9/10 on my 8wt single hander. Wow! I couldn't believe the difference. That set up could really throw my type 8 tips and 3/0 flies using spey casts. As a result I had to try the two handed thing, so I picked up the 8126 based on recommendations from friends and my casting style. I think I found a good fit.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
    Brian
  4. bigtj Member

Victoria, BC
    Brian...Great to hear don't pay any attention to what I said...everybody is different and far be it for me to judge any rod. And truthfully I've never really met a rod I didn't like or couldn't find a line for that worked well for it. Sounds like you have that's awesome.

Congrats on the new rod, go out and fish the heck out of it! Hope to see some pics of your first fish with it or a report, good luck to you and have a blast.

-John
  5. Leopardbow Member

Ferndale, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Any body have any updated advice on the 8126? I am trying to figure out the appropriate line to put on the rod. I believe it has the Rio Windcutter on it now, just not sure if it is the 7/8/9 or the 8/9/10. The rod doesn't appear to load properly.

A friend has recommended that we try and Skagit, 550. Any thoughts? I borrowed the rod to see if I potentially want to get into the 2-handed game.

Marcus
  6. Thehopperguide New Member

Edmonds, WA
    Marcus, I fish one. I use to use the windcutters and airflows now I fish it with a Rio Skagit 550 no cheeter and it launches even with 15' T14. It is a short fast rod. A dream to fish all day.
  7. Leopardbow Member

Ferndale, WA
    Great to here. I have on order the Rio so I am anxious to see how it does. Thank you.

Marcus
  8. Thehopperguide New Member

Edmonds, WA
    Sorry, Brian this was for you as well.

Marcus, I fish one. I use to use the windcutters and airflows now I fish it with a Rio Skagit 550 no cheeter and it launches even with 15' T14. It is a short fast rod. A dream to fish all day.
  9. Hans New Member

Elburn, IL
    I have used this model and really like it. As others have said the Skagit 550 is a good line match with this rod. It really works well. I have also used the 8/9/10 and it has performed ok with me but I'd have to say I prefer the 550 but that also suites my fishing.

Cheers Hansen
  10. Brian Thomas Active Member

Kamloops B.C
    Ratings: +96 / 0
    I almost bought that rod once . I really liked it , but I liked the Loomis 7/8 Stinger just a little bit more , and ended up buying it .
    The Sage was designed for the underhand casting technique (as was the Loomis) , and really shines with Scandinavian shooting heads . I`d throw a Rio AFS 7/8 , OR 8/9 head on it for floating work , and ease off on the power on the upper hand , and use the bottom hand to apply most of your power . A high stop on the forward stroke , and the line will just fly off the tip .

BTW ... I did`nt really like the 7/8/9 Windcutter on my Stinger either .
  11. Leopardbow Member

Ferndale, WA
    So, I loaded the Rio Skagit line, 550 versi-tip on it before last weekend. I am a total novice to two-handed rods. Carted around two rods for most of the morning before I decided to give it whirl on a lovely stretch of water. I wish I could say I landed some fish, but I can't. All I can is that the rod worked great.

I was pretty much limited due to downstream wind and my lack of knowledge to the two-handed spey, but worked like a dream. I was only casting an intermediate tip with weighted flies trying to gain some confidence, but think I am sold on that rod.

Thanks everyone for the advide and boost of confidence.
  12. Thehopperguide New Member

Edmonds, WA
    Marcus,
    Let me know if you need some help to fine tune your cast. It's great to hear someone else has joined the spey world.

Greg
  13. Leopardbow Member

Ferndale, WA
    I really appreciate it Greg. I am hopefully out again either tomorrow or this weekend, experimenting with some new casts, and most likely, I will have some questions. Cheers.
  14. Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Yakima, WA.
    Ratings: +114 / 0
    LB- your post on the T14 v. type IV lead me to search for this post. I fish an 8126 just about all the time. I've been using a Skagit Head on it for the last couple years. I got a chance last month to try the AirFlo Compact Skagit 600 grain throwing 12 ft. custom tip material, and I'm switching to that. Short rod - short head, makes sense to me.
  15. Leopardbow Member

Ferndale, WA
    Maybe I will try that. I had pretty good luck with the Rio 550 last year. I guess I am just always paranoid that I am not getting down deep enough. I am new to the world of steelhead, so when you are catching, my mind over thinks it at times maybe.
  16. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    That rod is the bomb with a rio Skagit 600 gr head on it. My friend from switzerland has that rod and we tried a 789 wc and a 8/9/10 wc on it the 8/9/10 was better. We also tried a 550 and a 600 skagit and the 600 is just much better.
  17. Leopardbow Member

Ferndale, WA
    Thanks Shawn, I truely love the rod and suspect I will even more as my casting improves. I think I will stick with the 550 for a while but will definetly consider the 600 next go around. Maybe when I upgrade my reel.