Sage and Simms at Costco?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Philster, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Seen it today. Z axis 5 weight and some Tree-fiddy waders. In an upright glass case, like the rock and roll hall of fame would put an Elvis outfit in :rofl:
  2. Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Duvall, wa
    Ratings: +1,616 / 2
    They had some Abels sitting on a table at the Kirkland store last year. Same price as a regular fly shop though.
  3. CC898 Member

Montana
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    According to Simms, they should not have them at all, not sure about how Sage feels about it.........
  4. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +275 / 1
    Not listed on their website. What store was it?
  5. Philster New Member

woodinville.
  6. Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +333 / 5
    Just a rod and waders in a glass case? Was the display helping promote some other products or did they have a stock of the rod and waders for sale, too?

If it was just a display, it likely was designed by a contractor who bought the items to create an attractive 'draw' to get folks looking at other fishing-related products that are actually for sale. Very common in retail -- for instance, a lot of the stuff you see in big department store window displays isn't actually sold by the store, it's merely added by the designer because it looks good, works with the marketing concept, and helps draw people into the story/department/area to buy what the store DOES have for sale.

Then again, if there was a stack of Simms waders and Sage rods nearby then Costco has some explaining to do -- or rather, the wholesale distribution centers who work with those brands have some explaining to do since most speciality outdoor brands have rules about where their products can be sold.
  7. Philster New Member

Nope. It was the displayed models with an item number. You fill out the piece of paper, pay for it, and they give it to you. No other fishing stuff nearby.
  8. Matthew LeBret Active Member

clarkston, wa
    Ratings: +76 / 0
    They are probably a test store to see how the market is. Not everywhere you can buy a Sage and a case of guinness.
  9. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Google " Missoula Costco , Simms Waders" and you will see they have them on their warehouse list of items for sale as well as a Sage rod.
    This is sad as I just took a last trip down to my local fly shop for his going out of business sale.
  10. skiman5982 Member

Kenmore,WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    was it being sold at a discount or normal price
  11. Caveman Member

N/A
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    How much?

12. Lugan Joe Streamer

Beautiful View, WA
    Ratings: +760 / 2
    Both companies sell through Cabela's, so Costco really isn't that big of a leap. It's just another example of consolidation of the retail channel in the flyfishing industry: Small retailers go out of business, and many equipment manufacturers decide that they must sell through big box and Internet stores to reach customers.
  13. Builder Member

Missoula, Montana
    Ratings: +15 / 0
    Sorry guys, I don't shop the box stores so I'm not a member and can't access the price.
  14. Benjy Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +57 / 0
    Hah, saw that on my buddy's Facebook and stole this photo he took for all to enjoy. This is from the Missoula store. [IMG]
  15. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    you can bet the shit is hitting the fan at simms and Sage right now.
  16. Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Snoqualmie, WA
    Ratings: +844 / 1
    I forwarded the thread to the local Simms rep to see what he says about it. Could just be another retail sales channel, could be something else.
  17. freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Edgewood, WA
    Ratings: +705 / 1
    I hear Wally-World will soon have them on the shelves too... rolling back prices and lowering America's standard of living one transaction at a time!
  18. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +160 / 0
    Simms and sage didn't know until a few days ago.

Apparently, some heads rolled, and now the product is being moved out of costco. Permanently.
  19. Ernie Gulley New Member

jurupa hills, ca
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    this happened in utah I heard also.
  20. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,355 / 9
    Son of a beech, those are pretty low prices on those two items. Much less than retail at an authorized sales outlet fly shop. I sense a large distrubance in the force.