Sage is apparently not building 2 wt rods.

Discussion in 'Bamboo, Fiberglass & Classic Reels' started by Olive bugger, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Ratings: +410 / 0
    Several years ago, I bought a Sage blank from a fly shop, and had a professional rod builder
    make me a nice little 2 wt rod. My rod building skills are non existant, He made me a wonderful
    stick and I hung a little flyweight reel from it. It is like a magic wand to fish.

For what ever reason, I was looking at the web site for Sage and they seem to be selling everything above 3 wt and in mostly fast action rods. I would think that there would be a good market for a
    light 2 wt rod but perhaps other rod makers have filled it.

Maybe I am missing something. I usually am.
  2. typhoon I fish

BC Canada
    Ratings: +23 / 0
  3. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    Ratings: +998 / 0
    They make the lightest rod in the world (non custom) all the way down to 000wt.

http://sageflyfish.com/fly-rods/freshwater/txl-f/

I have the 2wt txl-f and it is the best thing I have ever casted in my life. So much fun. Weighs about 3oz with reel on it. Not to mention how goregeous it is.

If you have any questions about it ill be happy to help.

You could pobably find some of the old versions cheap. They were called TXL. They are 3 pieces and a bit heavier. The new ones (txl-f) are 4pc and 33% lighter.
    Olive bugger likes this.
  4. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Yep, I missed it. You are correct. Those lightweights are so much fun on even big water. I like to fish the near side with mine.
    Those little buggers make it feel like a steelhead in fast water.
  5. psycho Active Member

B.C. Canada
    Ratings: +131 / 0
    I have a straight flush of those TXL rods, starting at 000.:D What can I say, I am a gear whore.:rolleyes:
    Stew McLeod likes this.
  6. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    I know! And it's a challenge to protect that 7x tippet when they really run. Throw in a click and pawl reel...so damn fun. I got that sage click on mine. steelheading iis great and all but catching trout on a 2wt can't be beat
    Kent Lufkin likes this.
  7. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Another gift is that those little rods feel like a majic wand in your hand. You really don't have to work too hard to have fun.

Then another gift is watching that line snake out and land so softly on the water. Like poetry in motion.
  8. golfman44 Coho Queen

Kirkland
    I know! And when you're fishing thru a bit of still water so your fly line just barely makes a ripple when it hits...Then when a fish takes it the water explodes. AHH man I wish I could get out of this cubicle and up to the SF snoqualmie right now...
    Olive bugger likes this.
  9. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    You know, I have never fished the SF of the Snoqualmie. I have lived within a few miles of the main river for years, and only fished it on two occasion. Perhaps it is time to change all that.

Lemme see, I got a rod, I got a reel, got line and leaders. Got flies.
    Need water.....
  10. Skysoldier Trout Hunter

Lost in the woods.....
    Ratings: +185 / 0
    If you can find one the Sage ZXL 2wt is also a nice rod.
  11. Joe Goodfellow Active Member

DES moines wa
    Ratings: +106 / 0
    Bamboo is the only way to go
  12. Olive bugger Active Member

Woodinville, WA
    Bamboo is nice, but so is some plastic. :)
    Skysoldier likes this.