Sage LE Rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pintsize, May 2, 2003.

1. pintsize

pintsize New Member

Home Page:
    Just wondered if anyone has any experience of the new range of Sage LE rods. I love the sage XP rods and want something economincal with a medium to fast tip and using it puerly for dry fly, I was thinking of a Sage 590-4LE 9' 5wt 4 piece Travel rod.

:beathead

2. DEREK

DEREK New Member

Media:
    I think the rods cast pretty well. They feel heavy though. There is a bigger difference between the four and two piece rods in the very low end of the rod range. A two piece LE is going to be noticeably nicer to fish than a four piece. If you want a four piece I would step it up and buy a DS.

Just my two pennies.

3. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

Media:
    I just checked one out when I went to the fly shop and compared to the other sage rods, i did not like it but thats not saying much compared to the other rods. I think it would be a good entry level rod for someone trying to save $$$ on their first rod.
    I would also step up and go for the DS2 if $$ is an issue.

4. Swinger

Swinger Banned or Parked

>I think the rods cast pretty well. They feel heavy
    >though. There is a bigger difference between the four
    >and two piece rods in the very low end of the rod
    >range. A two piece LE is going to be noticeably nicer
    >to fish than a four piece. If you want a four piece I
    >would step it up and buy a DS.
    >
    >Just my two pennies.
    >

Actually, I beg to differ. I have cast every one of the LE rods and have thrown various lines on each rod. There is a noticeable differance between the 2 piece and the 4 piece but the 4 piece, is the much nicer caster.

The LE's are slow rods, constructed of first generation graphite. The addition of the 2 extra ferrules, stiffens up the rods considerably.

I have found, with the 5, 6 and 8 weights, that underlying the 2 piecers will allow you to not only increase your distance but allow you to carry more line without collapsing the rod.

The 4 piecers do not need to be underlined, and a good caster with either the 5 or 8 weight 4 piecers, as long as they do not need to throw into a stiff breeze, will have no problem throwing 90 feet.

Also, I have found the LE to be very light in the hand, just as light as the DS2's. I suspect you feel that the rods feel heavy in the hand, not because they are heavier but because they are slower.

At $195, the Sage LE is the best American made rod on the market for price. Plus you get Sage's unconditional lifetime warranty and a very quick turn around time on broken rods.

But head to your local shop and cast the rods! Then you will actually be able to decide what is best for you as the DS2 4 piece is about $100 more but many may not notice a $100 differance.