Sage LL 4 wt rods

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Chicago Flyfisherman, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    The 379LL my friend now owns was offered by the son of the original owner on the classified section of a small forum for a ridiculously low price - something like $175 if I remember right. The seller offered it with an early Sage (made by Hardy) reel with two spools, backing and floater and intermediate lines for another $150, so the whole shebang was just over $325 or so.

I've got a slew of cane rods and figured I don't need another rod of any kind and passed on the LL when I first saw it. After fishing it, I'm wishing I'd bought it. (I also watched a 1970s Winston 'Leetle Feller' 7' 2/2 cane rod sell for $550 at the WFFC Christmas party, but that's another story. I've got enough rods (Or so I keep telling myself!)

K

2. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

brush rods

Having read a lot of stuff about A.J. McClain, Lee Wulff, and some of the other legends of fly fishing, it always amazed me that they could cast those long leaders tapering down to 6x and get the fly to land on the water before the line. All while using rods of 7 ft or less. And what we now call a 4 wt was considered ultra light at the time. It wasn't until I started fishing small streams on a 7 ft 3wt rather soft action rod, that I finally discovered what that was all about.

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Good observations speyfisher. In 1943, tiny Joan Wulff set the US fly casting distance record of 161 feet using a single-handed bamboo rod, an incredible mark that stood for 17 years. Today most guys twice her size with 15 foot, two-handed wundersticks can only dream of casting that far. However could she have done it?!

K

4. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:

5. chief

chief Active Member

I have a 4711 2 piece LL, and a 590 3 piece LL. They are both great rods. As someone mentioned, the 4711 fishes more like a 3wt, but it is like butter for fishing dries on small streams. The 590 also has a smooth action (I don't experience the hinging mentioned by someone else), and it is still one of my favorite all around rods to fish with despite having an embarrassment of rods to chose from. To answer your question about the biix 480 comparison, I believe the 4711 would overlap quite a bit.

Also, this is heresay, so I can't confirm the accuracy of the statement, but I was told in a fly shop that the Redington CT's are built with the same tapers as the LL's.

6. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I love my little 2 wt. sweetheart 279LL. (7'9")

7. Porter

Porter Active Member

I can not confirm or deny either, but they are eerily similar to me (MHO)

8. Robert butts

Robert butts New Member

Hello Mike,

Hope you receive this note.

I own 2 Sage 4703's and love them. They are excellent to cast and work wonderfully for smaller trout streams.

They are two piece construction which I prefer.

I am going to sell one of the rods in favor of an 8' .

The rod has been fished but is in excellent condition.

If you are interested please contact me.

Thanks,
    Bob

9. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    as sage too frequently does, they actualy changed the material in the LLs when they brought out the multi piece rods. the original LLs were graphite II. this was superceded by graphite III and then the multi piece rods. if you are interested in the origianl praise worthy action, then you should be shopping for the graphite II rods.

10. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

I am reading this with interest. I own a 4 piece 5 wt Sage ll that I purchased some years ago. I seldom use it. I do not care for the four sections, and the action is not comfortable for me. I use it on rare occasion but it is not my favorite. I find my 5 wt 9 foot SLT is much more comfortable.It presents the fly much more softly, cast farther though not by much, and is a delight to handle. I am not planning on selling either, but the comparison is interesting.

As far as the marketing strategy, I believe that the $$$s are driving the decision to change horses in mid steam. Everything in advertising has to be NEW AND IMPROVED. Yeah right. New is the package and improved is the price. Given that research and development cost money, sometimes it is expensive to think outside of the box. Sometime the box is the best result that you get.

While I don't agree with Sage's marketing strategy, I can not argue with their success. They make some great rods.

11. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

About the time Sage was phasing out the LL series, they came up with the SP (soft presentation) series rods. Soon after, they followed up with the SPL (you guessed it, soft presentation light) series rods. These rods, in 00 thru 4 weight, 7ft or less, 3 piece were meant for fishing small streams. (think hi mtn pack in streams)This was about the time Sage came out with their own lines that were designed especially for the 00 thru 4 wt rods. I thought these were incredible rods, and would have grabbed one in a heartbeat had I not recently purchased a 6'-6" Powell 2 wt.

It seems the short rods kind of got swept under the carpet, so to speak. They never got the press the 9 footers received. Specialty rods for sure. But when you're talking small streams, down on your knees, don't even think about stepping in the water as the slightest ripple will send the fish scurrying for cover, roll cast a 9 or 10 ft leader with 2 or three ft of line outside the rod tip, and lay it down with the utmost delicacy, a 9ft fast sick is about as out of place as a spey rod!

12. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

Years ago I was reading Gary LaFontaine's great book on Caddis and he mentioned that his LL 389 was the best dry fly rod he had ever tried. I went out and bought one and it is really a sweet rod! I use it on smaller waters (like the Skagit in Canada and Kelly creek). Since most of my fishing is on bigger and windier water, I use a Sage XP and Z-Axis mostly. It takes me a couple casts to slow down my rhythm with the LL, but IMO it is easy to go from a rocket rod to a bamboo or LL. I enjoy both styles of casting and both are the best tools for specific situations! Rick

13. gbeeman

gbeeman Active Member

I built a 9' four piece 5wt LL Sage years ago and it's one of my go to rods for dry flies. Nice smooth action with no hinging. For small streams I use a 7'6" Winston three piece. It's a great rod.

GBeeman

14. Robert butts

Robert butts New Member

The LL series remains one of the best rods built by Sage.

I believe the 2 pc construction has less dead spots than multi piece rods.

The 7' 3" rod is awesome when hooking a 16" brown or rainbow.

Casting is effortless and extremely accurate.