Sage LL - Redington CT comparison

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Kent Lufkin, May 5, 2013.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

I think that new battenkill reel will find several homes on many lighter fly rods, such as the CT.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  2. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

I just had a chance to verify some details from the comparison above. The Sage 379 LL weighs 2.4oz while the CT is 2.6oz. The sections of the LL are 45-5/8" while the CT's are 16-3/8" The tube for the LL is just a smidge under 49" while that of the CT is 19-1/2".

K

3. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

inexpensive. i have the 8' 4wt paired with Redington's Rise 3/4 which I picked up on the Clymb last year for $89. The reel is not as nice as the rod, but I got them both cheaply and I'm VERY pleased with the rod.

Eric Denny likes this.
  4. Kent Lufkin

Maybe, maybe not. The Battenkill III weights a paltry 3.2 ounces while the II that Ive bought is a ridiculous 2.9oz. By comparison, the Marryat CMR 56 that I used in my comparison weighs 4.4oz bare and fully loaded with backing, line and leader, balanced both rods within the winding check.

Unless you pair that Orvis reel with a rod that's MUCH lighter than either the LL or the CT (and preferably one with a downlocking reel seat as you pointed out), it's likely that your combination won't balance.

K

Porter likes this.
  5. Eric Denny

Eric Denny It's summer time I'm fishing!!

So what lower end real would you recommend? ??

6. Kent Lufkin

I'm not up to speed on the current crop of low price reels, so I'd defer to others' advice. Was me though, I'd look hard at an Orvis BBS in the middle size. They're not the cheapest reel on the block, but from personal experience their build quality and the Orvis warranty make their price money well spent.

K

7. Gary Knowels

Gary Knowels Active Member

This one! After all, it was designed to be paired with the CT

Stew McLeod likes this.
  8. I'd get a medalist. 30$ or so on eBay/Craigslist on a regular basis.

9. Dipnet

Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Eric, I'm liking the Okuma SLV 4/5 on my new Redington CT 4 wt. That's a sub-$45 reel if you look around a bit! :)

YMMV! :cool:

Eric Denny likes this.
  10. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

I grabbed one of those to partner up with my 2wt CT. Balances well

Stew

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

11. Porter

Porter Active Member

Notable point. Still think find way on those looking for simple c/p system.

12. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

it's light touch and finesse are complimented by a core strength that easily allows it to handle river fish up to 18-20" with authority.

I have been fishing a 2 piece 389 LL for about one month and have had a 2 piece 490 for over a decade.
    I agree with Kent's and Steve's comments on core strength of these rods when challenged by big fish.

13. wichaka

wichaka Active Member