SAGE LL Round 2 - Line Selection Help

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by MarkY3130, Jul 15, 2014.

1. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 Active Member

So I just purchased my second SAGE LL. This one is a graphite III 279-2. I wish I could say I am super excited but I am mostly nervous that I won't like it. I purchased a 469-2 graphite II (definitely was a 4wt in the 6' something length anyhow) SAGE LL a few years ago and I never connected with the rod. I traded it earlier this year to someone on the forum.

After talking with a few friends they have me convinced that the longer length of the one I just purchased will make a huge difference and I will like it more. While I am waiting for the new one to arrive in the mail I would appreciate some help knowing what lines you guys like best on the LL's. Admitedly, I did not spend enough time and effort on finding the right line on the previous rod I owned.

Any other tips on what has helped you love these rods would be appreciated, especially if you typically use fast action rods.

Thanks!

2. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Mark - First, I'm not surprised that you didn't connect with that short graphite 4wt. In my experience and for my tastes, graphite is not a good material on super short rods. It's why all of my short and medium length rods are 3wt+ glass. My longer rods are all fast graphite though. YMMV and other disclaimers apply of course.

I owned that same LL 279/2 ~15 years ago. I liked it. I recall that it was squarely a 2wt. My advice is to go to your nearest local fly shop and test cast a few 2wt and even 3wt lines and buy the one that you like best. A parking lot isn't perfect for testing rods and lines, but it's better than a blind guess.

Don Freeman, MarkY3130 and Skysoldier like this.
  3. David A.

David A. Upside down.

Home Page:
    I liked the LL 2 weight though when I last cast one, the choice of lines was very limited compared to now.

The path to true love would be getting the right line for the rod.
    Without knowing what you have planned for the rod,I would suggest starting with the S.A. XPS if you're after a more subtle approach or a GPX if you fish bigger water or larger flies.
    Both choices assume you're fishing small creeks.

IMHO, The 4 weight you tried would be a very short rod in that line weight and have a narrow window of use while in 7'9" the 2 weight is a normal length for that sort of rod and much more general.

Skysoldier and Lugan like this.
  4. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Trout Hunter

I have and often use the 389-3 LL, it's a great rod. However when it comes to a 7'9" rod I have always thought the SP preformed better. As far as lines go I use the Rio Trout LT on my 3wt LL and a Rio Gold on my 5wt LL......both work very well for me.

5. chief

chief Active Member

I have found the LL's to be true to their line weight designation. Using AFTMA standard the head (first 30' of line) should weigh 80 grains for a 2wt...... You will find a lot of modern lines are heavier than the AFTMA standards set years ago because they are being designed to load faster action rods more easily. Some manufacturers list the head grain weight which can be helpful. I agree with the advice of taking the rod to a fly shop and trying several lines...

6. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I have a spool of new Cortland DT2F you can try. I'll send it to you, if you like it buy it, if not send it back.

7. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 Active Member

I might take you up on that. Let me get the rod in and try it with a few lines I've got first.

Good stuff guys. I'm a pretty decent caster and I am a much better caster now than I was the first time I gave the LL a wiggle. I was always an intermediate caster but with my daughter being born 9 months ago, and my fishing time being less as a result, I have been putting a lot of effort into becoming a better caster. Its amazing what 15 minutes or so 5 days a week just focusing on your loops will do.

I expect I am going to like this rod quite a bit. If not, I'm sure someone on this forum would be up for a trade!

8. Bill Miller

Bill Miller New Member

I have three original LLs a 389-3, 4711-2 and 586-3. When they first came out my preferred line was the Cortland Lazer then the SA Mastery XPS, my current choice and in my view the best match yet for those rods is the Rio Trout LT. either the WF or DT, I personally go with the WF.

9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman Phil 4:11-13

Temporarily on earth, longing for home...
    Not to "hijack", but I have a 490 LL and have thrown 6 different lines with it. The Lee (now Joan) Wulff TT was the best by far and away.

I realize this may not help, but I just like to get my post count up. :rolleyes:

MarkY3130 likes this.
  10. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I was going to suggest a Wulff TT actually...to at least try if that's even possible. The TT and the Rio LT are similar in that each has a long front taper starting from a fine (and light) tip and tapering back for 40+ feet. It's a great line for softer rods, and I use a few of each on my glass sticks. They are great for delicate dry fly casts and roll casting. Compare one of those versus a Rio Gold which has a short taper from tip to belly and therefore concentrates more weight up front. The Gold tends to load a rod sooner so I have a few of those when I know I am going to make shorter casts and/or will use bigger flies that need help turning over. Anyway, those are two really different feeling kinds of lines that might be worth playing with.

11. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    Trout LT is a sweet line. I use it on my 6wt, it's a more versatile line than they make it sound.

12. Stew McLeod

Stew McLeod aka BigMac

Media:
    I have a LL 379 and it became my go-to 3wt the first time I cast it. I don't know what it was, but it just "had it" for me. The Vosseler reel I have appears to be perfectly balanced for it too.

I think you'll love the 279, if not give me a PM and I will take it off your hands. :)

Stew

13. wichaka

wichaka Active Member

I've got a 379 LL and I like the Rio Trout LT WF line on it

Stew McLeod likes this.
  14. Porter

Porter Active Member

Cortland Peach 444 has been the best so far for my 389, have not tried them all though.

15. Yak

Yak Member

I really like the TT lines on my Sage LL rods. 279, 389, 490

16. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    I use a 3wt. double taper on mine. I like it!

17. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 Active Member

The rod still hasn't arrived yet but I have two 2 wt lines ready to try. One is an airflo and the other is a cortland. I'll start there and see what happens!

18. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Wichaka said: "I have a spool of new Cortland DT2F you can try. I'll send it to you, if you like it buy it, if not send it back."

Try that, the LL's really are light line rods. A DT2F should be perfect.

19. MarkY3130

MarkY3130 Active Member

Thought I'd report back. I tried the two lines I had and prefer the cortland. I'm not sure which cortland line it is as I've had it for so long.

Anyway, the extra 1' in length compared to the previous LL I owned makes a huge difference. It is a smooth casting rod for sure. I was surprised by how much line speed it can generate if you feel like you need to. Not that it generates high line speeds or anything, just more than I was expecting.

I purchased another LL and it's on it's way to me now. Can't wait to give this one a try too. This one is a 4711-2 GIII. I was in the market for another 4 wt and figured I'd give it a go.

Thanks for all your help. I'll be tracking down some additional lines to play with based on your suggestions.

20. Kyle Smith

Kyle Smith Active Member

Media:
    That 4711 will treat you real nice, it has the guts for bigger water but casts great in close. Sounds like you are putting quite the collection together! 389 next?