Sage Method

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Stonefish, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Ausable Member

Allendale, NJ
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I personally love all the new stuff and it is what makes this country great namely Innovation. Is some of it marketing hype? Absolutely but nobody is forcing you to spend $800 on a new rod. The beauty is that as more high-end rods are developed there are more and much better low and mid range rods so everybody wins. These new rods are so much lighter than just a few years ago that i firmly believe progress is happening albeit as smaller increments than the days of the RPL, GLX and BIIX that were all game-changers in my opinion!
  2. John Read New Member

Moscow, Id
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    A good caster with a cheap rod can still outcast a bad caster with the "best" rod.

John
  3. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    How about some Seagram's 7 & a Circa five weight then?

I like having Sage in the neighborhood, cutting edge gear be it Cray computers, fighter jets or bug rods is just interesting stuff.

c/22
  4. o mykiss Active Member

Ratings: +176 / 0
    I hear this rod will perform best when paired with a Ross Rhythm reel. The combo will be known as the Rhythm Method.
  5. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,262 / 1
    That will work Chromer, just make it a old school RPL or XP.
  6. chrome/22 For him there whould always be the riddle of steel

Hurricane Ridge, WA.
    Ratings: +13 / 0
    Out of all the Sage stuff those 2 are most likely to get used by me. Them old sticks still bring it, be it surf or stillwater.
  7. apistomaster Member

Clarkston, WA
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    One of my fav "go to" rods of all was a 9', 7wt Sage RP I built circa 1982.
    It could drive big flies against strong winds accurately.
    That has been a more important quality to me than distance.
    I think 90% of trout are caught within 40ft. Therefore distance has never been important to me.
    Always seemed to me like after that "A River Runs Through It" movie came out that the fly waters became over run by big spending dillatentes who kept their flies in the air more than in/on the water.
    I still fish my 9-1/2 Sage RPL 7 wt a lot.
    Last Sage I bought was a VT2, 9', 5 wt which is a sweet rod.
    I could have afforded a more expensive model but realistically I knew it would not have materially improved my fishing.